The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use an IVL Steelrider system?
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2007 7:01 pm    

This thread got me to dig out my Steelrider and clean it up- preparing to give it another go. In doing so I recalled that awhile back someone had talked about replacing the battery in it so I figured that, since I had never done that, I ought to do it now. Once I found the battery (on the lower circuit board) I replaced it and then put the unit back together and fired it up. Unfortunately one bank of strings wasn't triggering so I took it back apart and saw that one leg of a voltage regulator had broken off. It turns out that the regulator is soldered to the top circuit board then screwed onto a plate that is then fastened to the back of the removable top of the unit by two screws in the left rear that quite obviously must be removed prior to removing the top. I replaced it and now all is apparently well. Just a note of caution to anyone monkeying about with this unit~.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 3:44 pm    

I came up with an IVL MFS 40 Footswitch and wondered if anyone out there has the instructions that go along with it?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 6:34 pm    

I have been looking to replace the midi synth module for my IVL Steelrider pitch-midi unit that I've come back to using over the last year or so. The one that I was using was a Roland JV-880 and I was using the 60's & 70's Roland Expansion Card with it (recommended by Michael Johnstone). While the keys were great the horns were less than I was wanting and I found a terrific unit- the Kurzweil PC2-R- a single spaced rack mounted unit that has wonderful strings, keys and horns. Micheal had some tips about getting the IVL unit to track better by assigning strings to separate midi channels which I had a fair amount of success with using the JV-880 and now have to go at again with the Kurzweil. I'd really like it to track better than it does and have experimented with the hex pickup placement to see if I can avoid false triggers and not triggering, etc. I believe that a lot of the problem lies in the IVL technology itself- specifically the wave sampling format that was used back in the 80's-90's(?) when these units were made. I would love for someone to just come waltzing into the shop one day with "the cure" for this and would appreciate any words to the not-so-wise. Thanks!

Bruce Meyer

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2009 10:38 pm    

Jim. If it would help, I think I still have the IVL Steelrider schematics that I obtained from them, must be about 10 years ago. Let me know.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2009 7:27 am     IVL steel riderI

I had one of the earlier ones made. Ordered it direct from IVL. I had some tracking problems with it. A few times, it just hit a note that I didn't even touch. It worked well 90 % of the time, which would have been fine if I was recording, I could have just punched in and corrected it. However, I was using it in live gigs and some strange notes or not notes at all would come into play every once in a while. If I had the information now available on the forum, I might have got it to behave. I finally sold it to somebody that already owned one and new the care and feeding on them. It was a 12 string model that I had on a Kline U-12.

Michael Brewer

Carrollton, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2009 6:36 pm     Steel Rider

I still have both my 12 string units in working condition. I think shorter scale guitars make a better platform for the Steel Rider. After I sold my old MSA and installed the unit on one of the new Excel 25 inch scale guitars my unit did not track as well. I have recently bought another old MSA and I am modifying the front of the changer to provide a platform under the strings which will conform to the original IVL handbook which calls for exactly 1/2 inch from the bridge with 1/32 clearance from the strings. Machining the front of the changer side rails will take a few days and then I will be able to confirmn my theories.

I think the larger strings I use with the Bflat6 tuning generate a significantly stronger signal into the preamps which gives the converter more to work with. E9 players can probably improve their Steel Rider performance by tuning down to a D9. String sizes could then be increased. On my guitar the first string (high) is .016 and the second string is .012. The output from string #1 is noticeably stronger. The shorter strings on the MSA are also a plus.

I had almost decided to sell all my midi equipment until Jim Palenscar sent me an email which triggered a new interest in the Steel Rider. I want to thank him for that.

Mike

chuck abend

Kansas City,Mo.64155 U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 2:01 pm     Ivl steelrider plug and play problem free for 10yrs

I have my steelrider built in with no problems ever.
I use a 1/8 wood shim and two double stick foam tape
to secure the pickup on the steel& mark bobbins
I remove the amp pins and feed the harness behind the
changer and re concect and clamp harness.
Mount the amps on a o2o. plate and feed both wire harnesses thru rt amp.The mount brackets are 1/2 w
by 1/16 brass stock from hardware or hobbyshop.
Bend and shape and drill holes to fit in between
bellcranks and pull rods.
I have used this setup for 10 yrs straight with no
problems.here are some pics.
Also I have two steelriders and a synth module for sale. Chuck=seelectronics for sale in forum

Last edited by chuck abend on 26 Jan 2016 7:11 pm; edited 4 times in total

chuck abend

Kansas City,Mo.64155 U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 2:27 pm     for sale two steelrider systems and one ensonig tone module

I just completed two steel to midi control boxes with
steel in pedal out,synth audio in and tuner jack to
tuner.Two position rotorary sw to select steel or synth.Pickup has adjustable tabs that secure with foam tape.On off sw for tuner also.
1250 each steelriders ensonig unit 250.00 over 800 voices.see pics

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 4:16 pm    

I had Kyle Bennett from MSA put a switch in the neck of my new MSA so that I could flip in and out of midi easily and and was fortunate to have acquired the hex pickup bracket that Reece used to use and attaches to the guitar utilizing the split screw area behind the changer with 1 thumb screw and enables the pickup to flip over the strings. I've attached pics to show how it works. I still use the IVL system but it is not w/o glitches in my hands. Gerry Dog Walker (Stereo Steel) made a blender for me that works well and clips to the leg. I have couple of the IVL units w pickups for sale as well.

Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 6:26 pm    

Some glitches but often covered by the steel sound Boss Tone...back in 1989 or so...I used 2 volume pedals to mix...pickup is on a U12 Kline which I still play... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tKVO2fBco

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 9:04 am     Anybody using an IVL Steelrider system?

I had the system early on, shortly after they first came out. I had tracking problems with mine. Sometimes there would just be a note come out of nowhere, making it sound like I had made a big blunder. Maybe I was touching another string or something. Never did figure it out.

This was not the main reason I sold it. The steel strings are layed out different than say, a piano. Although I could produce the sounds of a piano and a multitude of other instruments, I could never get the signature sound because playing 10 strings on a steel is not the same as hitting the notes on a piano. Single or a few notes, yes, it would sound like a piano. Playing piano licks the way the are played on a piano, no. Same was true with an acoustic guitar or dobro sound. Stings tuned differently so couldn't get the same runs and sound.

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2016 5:02 pm    

I play keyboard. Tele and E9 STEEL. Fishman has come out with a unit called the triple play for guitar. My friend has one in his guitar. It tracks perfect. Here is some demos. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriplePlayPU

The reason the IVL unit nevef was popular the tracking was terrible. I have a macbook pro with some great samples. My goal is not to play piano licks but to stack with other things. Like steel and strings electric piano. That's awesome I've heard it. The unit is 399. Sure you need two. So who could build a pickup for this and make it work. You will see on the demo even the lo strings track perfect. Would be awesome live

David Neslony

Arlington, TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 7:51 pm     To keep from marring the changer

To keep from marring the changer, use nylon or delrin screws.