The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith Steel Guitars Update
Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 9:57 am    

Hello Forum-ites,

As I pass the 2-year anniversary of the Archie Creek fire that destroyed my shop and most of the property here in Idleyld Park, Oregon Sept 8th 2020, I wanted to fill everybody in on my progress to date.

About a week after the fire, I began setting up a small space in a friend's wood working shop, and began retooling and setting up jigs, equipment. Re locating wood ect. We stayed with family for about a month and rented a house for another month while getting our house back in order.Finding the proper tooling for what I do was challenging and had to drive as far south as Reno, and as far north as Seattle for some hard-to-find tools. A lot of manufacturers of new wood working tools were also in short supply due to the pandemic. It took about a year for one wood working tool to arrive due to their own supply chain issues. We started making bars in January of 2021 again and started shipping my first instruments at the end of April 2021. I was very proud to get the bars going quickly after the fire, and to be delivering guitars less than 7 months after the fire. I don’t think I had a full night sleep between the fire and getting the shop built and moved in.

In March of 2021 the shop building started. Probably the worst time in history to be building, as the prices of all materials were overpriced, in short supply or both. I had to do a lot of the work myself as labor was in short supply as well. Once again, we had to hunt and drive to get some materials. Family and local friends helped out when needed. I started moving into the shop around August of 2021. While still filling in details along the way until present, and the near future.

Along with this, working hard on rehabbing the property, planting trees and refixing what the fire destroyed, or the logging operations to remove the burned trees took their toll on.

It’s been overwhelming. 2 years have passed, and I am amazed on what we have accomplished here and amazed on how far I still have to go.

I have a few new models in the works for 2023. Short scale 6/7 frypans. The pattern has been made, but it will be a while before I get castings off of it. After years of asking for them, short scale Joaquin’s are in the draw up stages now. I have a few other 6 string lap steel models I will be releasing in 2023 as well.

Lastly, I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to the Go Fund Me account that Mike Neer started for my family and business. Steel Guitar Forum-ites, instrument builders, supply companies, Weiser friends, musicians, family, locals in the Glide and Idleyld Park community. This list goes on and on. The many people who ordered guitars with open ended timelines. The folks who called or emailed with support, encouragement, concern. I do not know where I would be right now without the help of communities like this. If it was not for folks like you, I would not have had the encouragement to get up, get moving forward and close the door on this catastrophe. The donations helped keep me focussed on retooling for building instruments, rehabbing the property, shop and the house, without worrying about having to take a job to keep us afloat. Words cannot express the gratitude we feel for your help.

I especially want to thank Mike Neer. This guy has been the most giving brother to the steel guitar community that I have witnessed in my 20 or so years on this site. Always sharing his journey and giving into it as much as he gets out, if not more. It seems like he is always there for anybody with advice, insight, encouragement, tabbing things out etc. Mike saw the pain, hurt and uphill battle I was about to face before I even knew what hit me. I will forever be grateful for your friendship Mike, and for your leadership in helping us through this tough time.

Todd

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 12:17 pm    

Glad to hear you upbeat while recovering, Todd. Kudos to Mike Neer, too. Steel guitar truly is a family.

Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 12:31 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 12:51 pm    

Todd, it’s been a long time since we last spoke. I’m so glad to hear that you are making great progress in rebuilding. I don’t know many, if any, people who have experienced such devastating loss of property as you have, and one can only be thankful that your family is safe and sound. No doubt you and Shelly have tremendous mettle and fortitude to face up to the challenge of rebuilding your lives. Most people, including myself, probably don’t have what it takes. I admire you so much, brother.

You make a person feel like a king or queen when they sit behind one of your instruments, and you inspire dreams. That is a gift you give. But as great an instrument maker as you are, most importantly you are an even better person. I, too, feel a brotherhood with you. I am glad that I could play a small part in just being there to listen to you. You never felt sorry for yourself or sought pity. I can’t tell you how much of an impression that you made on me.

I am proud to be a member of this community, where all of our differences are left at the door. There have been many who have touched my life here, including yourself. I’ve told the story before of how you basically saved me from walking away from the steel guitar. I would be remiss if I didn’t also express my love and gratitude to Rick Aiello.

On the eve of September 11, this thread hit me especially hard. That day changed my life forever and in some strange way led me here to this forum.

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 8:48 pm    

Such wonderful news, congratulations Todd, and I hope we have a chance to meet and play and laugh a few laughs again soon. It's been such a crazy time. But I'm inspired by your determination and commitment to your instruments/business, your family/yourself and the music/community and the musical traditions we all celebrate.

I'm proud to play your wonderful instruments and to call you a friend and fellow musician. To Mike, man, you're aces. The New Yorker! (:

What a happy story and post.
Cheers,
LC

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 3:56 am    

Todd, man I'm so sorry you and your family had to go thru this, but somehow this loss and resurrection of your shop adds to the already cool vibe you and your instruments have. So awesome/inspiring that you came back from that and did not give up.

When I was a kid we lost everything in a fire and had to start over. Having that in our family history made us stronger and less afraid of the future in ways that only overcoming adversity can do.

I hope the trees and vegetation around your place grow quickly.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 4:08 am    

Todd, its astonishing and admirable how you've bounced back from this life-altering event. None of us can predict how we will be tested by life. You are an inspiration as a person and your instruments are among the finest ever made.

Your guitars will inspire musical dreams for generations. Totally agree about Mr. Neer! Mike, you've been a beacon in this community for many years. Thanks for all you do and all you share! Personally speaking, I would never have had my parallel career in music and music journalism without the Steel Guitar Forum. This place has been pivotal for many of us here.

Best of luck as you continue to build your business, Todd. I adore my Clinesmith guitar and all of us here are in your corner for future success and can't wait to see your new designs.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 6:11 am    

Great news. You are an extraordinary person to power through all this! Much respect.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Donald Rooke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 9:54 am    

Mike, I haven’t been on the SGF in a bit, how rewarding to drop in and see this - Todd’s progress, and his acknowledgment and appreciation for the important role you played.
Class, both of you.
Don

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 6:36 pm    

It was a thrill to drop in to see you last month and witness the remarkable progress you’ve made with the shop and the thousands of trees you’ve planted. You’re an inspiration as well as an outstanding craftsman. We’re very fortunate to have you doing what you do!

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps