The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OK, Knutsen or Weissenborn?
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 1:54 pm    

Auction

Chime in, "EXPERTS"!

Don't know why they are so keen on saying it's not a Knutsen, as IMO it would be just as valuable no matter who made it (but... $10K?).

John Bushouse

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 2:20 pm    

Geez, that's one skinny guitar.

The back is horizontally braced, rather than on a diagonal. The headstock is Knutsen-ish, although very restrained. The transition from body to neck is awfully smooth; judging from other pictures I thought Knutsen's had a sharper transition - although I found a pic on Gregg's site that had a smoother transition. My guess is that it is a Weissenborn. A skinny, plain Weissenborn.

If it's a Knutsen, as plain and boring as it is, who would want it? Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 2:21 pm    

I think that if it did turn out to be a Knutsen, that would not decrease the value. Gregg Miner would be the one to go to. I see he posted on the Ebay sale.

John Bushouse

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 10:55 pm    

I think the value of this guitar is based on it being an early Weissenborn - the "prototype." Otherwise, it's a really skinny Weissenborn with no trim. If it's a Knutsen, it's just a really skinny Knutsen, without any of the decoration that makes a Knutsen so... Knutsenesque.

So without the Weissenborn prototype designation, I'm guessing it's a $2-3K guitar.

For those of you who want to hazard a guess, here's a nice article by Gregg (Miner) and Jonathan Kellerman.

Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 11:21 pm    

Just got a reply from the seller, and his expert to trump all "experts" is Tom Noe (of Noe Enterprises). I suppose along with Gregg and Ben Elder his is an opinion I would trust!

There needs to be a lot more research done into early Weisses (and specifically, Konas), as there are lots of little Knutsenesque touches to many of them. I like the theory that one maker was learning from the other (or that they were collaborating). But ????? Heck, it's still not really clear what the relationship was between Knutsen and the Larsons. You could spend years looking into this chicken-egg stuff and still not know for sure... It would be nice if there was a neat paper trail of facts, but at least for now it's anyone's guess as to what really happened.

John Bushouse

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2007 7:41 am    

I'm glad to know that Tom Noe, Gregg, and Ben Elder agree with me! Okay, maybe it's the other way around... Anyway, case closed for me.

I always got the impression that Knutsen wasn't interested in making the same instrument more than a couple of times, or having a production line of guitars. Even similar Knutsens typically have some differences in the details.