The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons playing on Rocky Top to Muddy Bottom
RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 12:02 pm    

Wow! I fetched out an old album of the Osborne Brothers called: From Rocky Top to Muddy Bottom - The Osborne Brothers - The songs of Boudleaux & Felice Bryant. What a title. This album has Buddy all over it. Have you ever noticed that when Buddy plays something it is just what needed to be played at that point in time???? It just doesn't get much better. Sonny and Bobby were favorites and then add Buddy to the mix. Wow!
Randy

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 3:25 pm     How TRUE it is!

Why don't you post the song here on the Forum.... or atleast post a LINK?

THAT would be nice!

RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 5:05 pm    

Sorry, I don't have any means at present of getting the music from an album to my pc. I wish I did. This stuff is great. Rocky Top, We Could, Take Me As I Am, etc. It is a double album cut for CMH several years ago. I was just listening to High Country Snow by Dan Fogelberg. It has Al Perkins on it. I need to get this stuff moved from vinyl to cd.

Randy

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 6:44 pm    

Randy, the Osborne Bros is on cd now. Like you, I love it. Buddy was very tasty with effects, phase and delay making him sound like he was playing faster than he was. Good stuff.

Tony

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 6:52 pm    

I'd like to hear that myself! Very Happy Wonder if it would be on Limewire.com?

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 8:41 pm    

Great album! I got it and immediately bumped it to cassette for the car! Very Happy

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 11:39 pm    

That record's got some fine "bluegrass" piano from Pig too!! Smile My favorite cut is Cant See the Rainbow in the Sky for the Tears in my Eyes.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 5:19 am    

A good friend of mine played with the Osborne Brothers for years and he's on all those recordings is name is Dale Sledd.

Buddy Emmons and Hal Rugg both done some great steel recording with them. Some of their songs/sessions had Grady Martin and yes Pig Robbins on them too. The Osborne Brothers were really great and super talented. As far as bluegrass music goes, I think they were tops!

Dale Sledd was one of the best rhythm guitar players and Harmony singers I ever heard. For 7 years it was Bobby, Sonny and Dale doing a trio them they added bass and drums to their shows. I recorded with Dale on several sessions here in MO after he returned here to semi-retire. Well, we made a CD of all Cowboy songs back about 12 years ago and I had Dale sing harmonies and he played rhythm guitar and some Upright Bass on it. He was great on those songs and knew the feel for that style, it was a piece of cake for him.

Dale also used to share stories with me about sessions they done with Buddy and Hal Rugg. He also knew Jerry Byrd and worked some television shows where Jerry played.

Terry Wood