The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Change the Key
Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2007 6:36 pm    

To those who do recording, if I have a track and would like to change the key with out changing the speed, can it be done, any software available, special equipment required, ect? Any info from those who know would be appreciated.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2007 1:03 am    

Many recording programs have a pitch shift function.
Some of them offer "intelligent" pitch shifting within a specified diatonic scale transformation.
The very best, like Melodyne, for example, which can run either standalone or as a plug-in for another program, will actually do the job- at a price!
What you need to know is that if you are changing the pitch by more than a couple of semitones, the result sounds almost nothing like the original voice or instrument, unless you know how to use formant correction.
I usually settle for re-recording in a different key, personally.
Cheers
Dave

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2007 10:09 am    

There is a plugin called 'Serato Pitch-n'-time' that will do this for you, but it is very, very expensive.
but I believe it's for Pro Tools only.
check it out:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PitchNTime/

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2007 1:27 pm    

If you have the 2007 version of BIAB, you can use the "chord analyzer" wizard to read in your track and do it's thing. When it's done, you can hit "send to biab"and it will create a biab file of the track you entered. Once you save that file, you can change the key, tempo, etc. That's if you have BIAB2007.
JE:-)>

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2007 4:28 am    

You could try the Amazing Slow Downer program. It allows you to change the pitch and speed. It will not sound like cd quality when you do this, but ifi it's for practicing then it'll be fine.

http://www.ronimusic.com/

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 6:13 am    

The newest version of Audacity software does it. It is a free program, and I found it a little awkward to use, but what do you expect for free. I changed the key one step on some soundtracks for a young singer I know, and they turned out really well. The only abnormality I heard was a slight warbling on the bass if you listened closely, but I was surprised how well they did turn out.

I changed another project 2 1/2 steps, and the vocal sounded odd, because the timbre of the voice changed also, but the music still sounded good.

You can also change the speed of a song with this program without changing the key, but I haven't tried that yet.

Just do a google search for Audacity and it will direct you to a download site.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 9:17 pm    

What Dave B. and Darvin said.

It can be done within limits.

Some tracks can be changed,
but others may likely need to be rerecorded too.
I generally just do it again from scratch.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!