The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB on Macintosh
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2007 10:04 am    

I am close to diving into the recording world and have decided on purchasing a Mac notebook with some type of USB/Firewire interface and most likely just use GarageBand or possibly Logic Express. I currently have BIAB 2006 for PC that I run on a notebook that is on loan. I would like to have it available in my music room for practice purposes and the only computer will be the MAC. Does anyone have any experience and/or comments on running a VM or Parallels or some type of Windows emulator to run BIAB on the MAC? PGMusic has a version for the MAC but I have been told it is way behind in functionality as compared to the PC versions.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2007 3:08 pm    

Parallels works great on any of the newer intel macs. I have it set up with XP Pro, but have not used Vista with it. The Mac version of BIAB works ok, but is definitely far behind the Windows version, as you said.

Logic Express is good, and easy to use. It offers more functionality for recording and editing audio and MIDI than GarageBand, and it uses the same virtual instruments, which are very nice. I make MIDI files with BIAB, then just drop them into a Logic template, which makes a nice framework for recording audio tracks.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2007 5:27 am    

Thanks Jerry. I appreciate the input. I am starting out, basically the "Recording 101" and haven't bought any gear yet. I have been a PC guy forever, but somehow have no interest in diving into the whole Vista thing and am rather interested in what the MAC has to offer. My son has a Macbook Pro and has installed VMWare and XP under it and he says it does well. Im going to try it for BIAB. I also appreciate the info on Logic Express. That's the way Im leaning. I still need to get a USB/Firewire type of interface and a mic or two. That should get me started. BTW, the VMWare is a free download.
Steve

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2007 10:27 am    

I use the Mac version of BIAB on a G4 PowerBook. I don't know if it's Intel compatible, but I haven't noticed any features missing that I use in the Windows version. BIAB files created in Windows play on the Mac version just fine. We've even used it at steel jams.

Also, I can export MIDI files from BIAB and pull them into GarageBand for further tweaking. GargageBand comes with the Mac. In GB, I can add steel and vocal parts to the BIAB MIDI tracks to create demo recordings.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 27 May 2007 6:58 am    

I use MAC BIAB for pretty serious production basics.
Then output a file and use Digital Performer,
You can do a lot with it in Logic too

I wouldn't worry about using the PC vs Mac version.
b0b and I have the same thoughts on the issue.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 May 2007 2:09 pm    

I third that !!
Baz

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 29 May 2007 6:45 pm    

I fourth..

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2007 6:37 am    

For a long time the Mac version seriously lagged the PC version, but a couple of years ago PG Music released BIAB for Mac OS X. It's now a full featured product, for sure!

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2007 6:54 am    

Thank you all for your replies. I contacted PGMusic and there is a crossgrade price of $59.00 for Band-in-a-Box PRO or $159.00 for Band-in-a-Box MegaPAK. So the direction is a Macbook Pro, Logic Express, this upgraded BIAB. Can any of you comment on a USB or Firewire device? Im thinking that I need a way to input my guitar and a mic for vocals, preferably one that will provide power for a mic??

Thank you all for your suggestions
Steve

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 May 2007 7:11 am    

Steve, I am a record producer/engineer/musician working in the pro world of music.
This is what I think you should consider :-
Line 6 Tone Port UX 2, TonePort CLICK HERE
The Best way to run DI, and mikes with phantom power, PLUS it has a LOT of other features.

Logic Audio Logic Express CLICK HERE And I can help you with anything else you need.

Click Here for a discusion about the same

0781-687-2166
or land-Line # 0182-770-4110
ANYTIME

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buyรขโ‚ฌโ€รขโ‚ฌโ€>