The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who’s the steel player?
Clint Anderson

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2022 9:17 pm    

Watched Travis Tritt live singing Old Habits on YouTube, best cover I’ve ever heard of that song. Who is his steel player? Love his licks.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 5:23 am     Trvis tritt

here you go:
The members of Travis Tritt's six-piece County Club Band take their places — Brian Arrowood on fiddle, guitar, and mandolin; Mike Daly on pedal steel guitar and dobro; Jimmy Fullbright on bass and backup vocals; LeJoe Young on drums; Wendell Cox on lead guitar; and Jared Decker on keyboards.Oct 4, 2017

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 4:22 pm    

Travis Tritt has had quite a few steel players over the years. There's really no way to answer a question about who's playing on a specific video without a link to the video.

If it's the official concert video they released many years ago, it's Steve Sturm on steel.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 6:48 am    

"There's really no way to answer a question about who's playing on a specific video without a link to the video."

+1.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 10:15 am    

Here's the video>

https://youtu.be/fe6a2zVLTno

So Pete, you'll know who it is when you see him in video?
Ricky

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 11:04 am    

Yes, that's Steve Sturm, he was on the gig in the early 2000's. I played with Tritt quite a lot a few years back and some of the same players from that concert video were still on the gig.

Seems like just common sense to me that if someone wants people to try and help them identify a player from a video, they need to at least post a link to the video they're talking about. Simple enough.

Steve sounds great for sure.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 3:52 pm     Who

Great song written by Joe Sun. Very nice steel work on video. The late Neil Flanz did a lot of work with Joe on a European tour as well as some Austin City Limits shows.
I’ve always enjoyed playing this song.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 4:28 pm    

What is that guitar. At first thought it was a JCH but it don't look exactly right for one.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 5:15 pm    

Unless someone has put both a JCH logo on the front and JCH fretboards on a different make of guitar, it's a JCH. Modulo the color, it looks like the one I had for a period.

I agree that this is some great-sounding steel guitar.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 1:30 pm    

Steve Sturm played a white JCH D-10 with a blue top while he was in Travis's band. The only time I remember him playing another steel was when Travis played the Opry after Waylon died-that night, Steve was playing a Bethel D-10 steel which, like the JCH, was white with a blue top. Steve joined Travis's band in 1996, and had been in Travis's Country Club Band for quite a few years. In the video, Steve is playing the JCH. The first video I saw Travis with a steel player in was "No More Looking Over My Shoulder" in 1998 and in a video where Travis introduces the band from a few years ago, Steve is mentioned as playing pedal steel guitar, dobro guitar, and electric guitar-he's the first band member Travis introduces after he performs T-R-O-U-B-L-E. The white JCH is in that video too-it was posted by a drummer who was in Travis's band named David Northrup. The fiddle player in the band at the time was Tigar Bell and at that time, Wendell Cox had been the lead guitarist for twenty years. The band at that time was Wendell Cox-lead guitar, Tigar Bell-acoustic guitar/mandolin/fiddle, Scotty Simpson-bass, Jared Decker-keyboards, David Northrup-drums, and Steve Sturm-steel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger