The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Home Recording Equipment
Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 7:34 am    

Am interested in good quality home recording equipment to record my sessions on the PSG. I currently have a Carter Starter and a Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier, and have tried connecting a cable from the amplifier to a cassette tape deck but the output sound is distorted.

HELP!!!

Donny

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 8:08 am    

Donnie,

There is a lot of info in some of the older post. You'll find a variety of preferences, likes and dislikes. It's all about how much you want to spend and how critical your application of use is. What kind of computer do you have and does it qualify to run audio? Do you just need one or two inputs or are you looking to do multi-track at the same time?

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 8:22 am    

I thought I would get into home recording for fun and had seen a friends Yamaha AW4416 Harddisk multi track recorder. I figured it would be more than I'd ever need but it's always better to have more than less and I liked it's portability too.

I got on EBAY and got one that looked brand new for $750.00 and the sound to me is outstanding.When this unit came out a few years back it was over $3k but I see numerous ones selling for $7-800 on Ebay.

With it you can record,master and burn to CD in one unit and it's portable so you can take it to a gig if you want.

There are many different styles of recorders on the market which use anything from tape to harddisk to memory sticks which will determine how long you can record so you need to keep that in mind. Most of the units also come with onboard effects and some like Roland had drum loops as well.

Most of these devices do have a learning curve so be prepared to sit down with a manual.

This is the way I decided to go rather than the Computer Software route.