The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fitting National Tricones Into a Dobro Shell
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 4:36 pm    

I recently purchased a beautifuly engraved chrysanthamum style nickel Dobro body (like a National Tricone Style 4, probably done by a Dobro employee in 1995). The diameter for the resonator cavity is 10.5 inches. My question is, what would have to be done to fit a tricone trio of 6" plates in this body? If, it's not possible, I will just go with a single Dobro cone. If so, what type might work best in terms of giving a nice big sound? I plan to put a square neck on this guitar. Thanks for any & all suggestions, steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 03 June 2005 at 06:24 AM.]

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 4:53 pm    

Dobro made a Model 33 "triplate" in the 90s, putting three cones into the same body used for a single cone. I know I've got some pictures, but can't put my finger on them right now ... I'll post them when I can.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 8:57 am    

Is the guitar a biscuit or spider set-up? Either way I doubt there's room to fit them. Here's a couple pics of tricone wells, one with cones/bridge and one without.

The Dobro tricones had a triangular well but the top was cut with a round hole for the standard cover plates. (National did this too on the very early wood bodied Triolians before they changed that model to a single cone)
The trouble is there's no way to change the well layout without tearing the whole thing apart.

------------------
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 8:22 pm    

Colin Brooks

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 2:42 am    

Hi Steve

I'm the man who bought your Style III tricone many years ago. Still have it.

A guitar like yours with Style IV type engraving on front and sides was listed in 70's/80's OMI catalogues as a Model 1000. On the back the name 'Dobro' was in a shield and the engraving was much simpler than an old Style IV. The F holes were small like those on prewar tenors, not full size like those on the late Dobro tricone pictured in this thread. The one in the catalogue has a square neck, an elaborately engraved coverplate and very fancy neck inlay.

As others have said there is no room for a tricone setup. You can fit a dobro style spider and cone or the 10.5" National style cone in these bodies. I think the latter would be very harsh for a lap guitar. I would go for the spider. The spider in a heavy brass body would have a sound and attack/sustain quite like a tricone. Sam Mitchell played a metal Dobro for many years and if you can hear one of his old records you should get some idea of the sound I would anticipate.

Cheers, Colin Brooks