The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie lap steel string gauges/tuning questions
Joe Buczek

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 7:39 am    

I play dobro and E9th pedal steel and am considering picking up an inexpensive lap steel. There are a few around, new, for under $100, so what the heck! Smile One of my purposes is to learn C6th chops that I can, one day, transport to a double neck pedal steel. Here are my questions:

How are the aforementioned inexpensive lap steels typically tuned? I'm guessing they are set up for some kind of E tuning.

Are heavier string gauges needed for C6th than would be found (or recommended) on these inexpensive instruments?

Would re-stringing them with heavier gauge strings cause any probems?

Thanks for any insights!

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 7:59 am    

lap steels are little tanks.usually constructed of something solid, not much can go wrong. string is important to a degree. I like the right amount of string tension because it helps my notes sing better.
as with any instrument some have their own ideal setup. I put a set of D'Addario 1/2 round stainless steel .013 - .056. and they sounded and felt great.
I think they are now on a cheapo Harmony acoustic tuned to A. (probably not a good idea)
my thoughts:
before WWII, tuning was Hawaiian A.
Cm7, C6 and others developed with country swing.
open E is popular with todays beginners, as it works pretty well with rock and roll.
thats where I began, but soon changed to open G then high bass G.
you could get an eight string lap steel, and use a tuning not much different than what you have on the PSG.

the shorter scale of lap steels (22 1/2")makes for some fast runs up and down the neck. more single string playing .

there are longer scale lap steels today.

the guitar catalog lap steel special sale ones are not very good. people I know have swapped out the tuners for better ones. some have put in a beefier p.u.
if you are into lap steel there are magnificent ones being made today. Asher for one.

Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 8:03 am    

Click on STRINGS at the top of the page and have a look at the Jagwire lap steel strings. That'll educate you about the different gauges that are available. The C6 will work fine on an inexpensive lap steel. What they normally come with, I don't know but if you're wanting to learn C6 it doesn't really matter. Be warned, six string lap steels are highly addictive, I've got three and am thinking I need two more.
Jude

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 8:07 am    

I designed 3 sets of strings for 6-string lap steel. They are made by Jagwire. You can get them from the Forum catalog:

www.steelguitarmusic.com/strings.html#lap6

I believe that these gauges will work well on even the cheapest lap steel. The tension of 6 strings isn't bad as long as you use gauges that are "in the ball park" for your tuning.

Joe Buczek

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 9:56 am    

Jude: thanks for the warning!! Very Happy A PSG player friend of mine loaned me an old Magnatone that he was given and never learned to play. The strings are crusty, and the guitar appears to be tuned as a normal guitar (EADGBE), so I don't think it has been played by anyone who understood it in a very long time. Since this is a loaner, I haven't bought one of my own... yet!!! Very Happy But I've seen at least two brands online for under $100, so I'll probably pick one up.

b0b: I just placed a Paypal order with you for some strings. Thanks for the pointer.