The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gabby's Steel Guitar
Barry Hartzell

Pa suburbs near Philly
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 1:43 pm    

Hi Steelers! New kid here(51 years old but sometimes still feel like a kid with music, but other times I feel much older!).

I have some pressing questions about Gabby Pahinui, and how to get that sound.

I'm very new to all this, have been playing reso and Weisse for a little while, and regular guitar for years. But, Gabby got to me with this tune from The King of Slack Key, Best of Gabby Vol 1. The song is titled Lei No Ka`iulani. Here is the link to the page on Mele.com and then the shortcut link:
http://mele.com/v3/info/609.htm
http://64.65.106.62/v3/sbits4/609_10.ram

I'm really mesmerized by this tune and the tone of his steel guitar. Any thoughts on getting this tone, with what gear-guitar, amp, tuning?

I guess I'm hooked! It just seems to happen this way with me, I hear something that really strikes a musical nerve in me, and I've got to go with it!

And, if anyone knows more of Gabby's albums or anyone else's that have more like this, with the slow, easy rythm that soothes the savage beast, please tell me. Great stuff! I like Slack Key a lot, but this hit me harder!

About the gear, sure I would like to know what Gabby used to get this sound, but I also would like to know if I can get this sound using readily available modern equipment that doesn't cost a whole lot to get started with. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Be well, Barry
Lost in Music, Happily!

[This message was edited by Barry Hartzell on 02 June 2005 at 03:26 PM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 1:50 pm    

Maile Serenaders!
http://mele.com/v3/info/144.htm
http://mele.com/v3/info/145.htm

Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 3:25 pm    

I didn't know that Gabby played steel guitar. I'm only familiar with his slack key playing and singing.

For particulars on his equipment, perhaps one of his sons could help.

Cyril, James "Bla", and Martin Pahinui are in the music business.

Also, Ry Cooder is a bit of an equipment lover, and he played with Gabby at one point, and has also played with the sons, as has David Lindley, another equipment lover.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 4:15 pm    

As always, first do an 'archive search'.
Tons of Gabby info.

In Gabby's latter days he was always with a Fender of some sort. Early times, it was whatever he could get, as they came and went thru his hands freely.
Pop's was a party monster.
Some 40/50's era pix show him with a fry pan.

As for amps, whatever worked, he used it.

His first instrument was the steel, and towards the 70s his playing really matured to something beyond merely playing. The 2nd Maile Serenaders CD will show some of that.

To me, Gabby was the greatest Hawaiian musician. Just his multiple killer voicings are enuf to place the crown on his head.

Nothing compares to seeing Gabby and his gang playing. Get the Waimea Festival CD for a glimps of what it was like. Lots of fine local artists on this CD. The Pahinui video is also a must for the backyard jam alone.

Pops, Mom and the house are long gone, but they gave us the kids, and they are doing a great job of keeping their Dad's legacy alive as well as being their own persons/artists, which is a tuff act when your father is so revered as to be an icon.

[This message was edited by Ron Whitfield on 02 June 2005 at 05:20 PM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 5:20 pm    

Hi Barry,

The steeler you are actually hearing on "Lei No Ka'iulani" is David "Feet" Rogers. Gabby is playing the standard guitar. The recording was made in the early 1960's by the "Sons of Hawai'i" group, to which Gabby and Feet were members along with Eddie Kamae ('ukulele) and Joe Marshall (bass).

Studio photos from this time show Feet playing a post-war Rickenbacker bakelite (one shows him playing through a Harmony amp), although he also played frypans. The tone on the recording of "Lei No Ka'iulani" sounds like that of a bakelite to me.

Feet tuned low to hi:
D(low bass)-D-F#-A-D-F#,
but (according to slack key legend Dennis Kamakahi) with gauges that one would use for tuning a whole step higher than that (i.e., slacked strings).

Barry Hartzell

Pa suburbs near Philly
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 6:18 pm    

Wow, thanks for all the info guys! So I'm actually grooving to Feet Rogers! Thank you Jeff for setting that straight. I could have been following the Gabby search til the cows came home and not found this out!

And good to know that tone is probably bakelite. I would like to get that tone if possible, if bakelites are still sound and affordable.

Would any modern equipment come close to that sound? I'm not a perfectionist, but I would like that fat tone. I'm following the other thread here about that.

Mahalo for all the help! Please tell me more!

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 7:05 pm    

Gabby Pahinui is also one of my favourite steel guitar artistes, I try to emulate his sound sometimes. In the oven is Ho'okena, I believe to be one of his tunes, which I am currently recording for my next CD. I use West Coast C6 and B11 myself. You may log in to the HSGA members section to hear the tone of this guitar.

Much Aloha

------------------
kay

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 7:12 pm    

Guess I shoulda listened to the clip..., glad Jeff did.

On record, it's always the Bakelite for Feet.
He preferred the ones with the string retainer instead of strings thru the body. He sed it gave more 'voice'.

Tuff call whether you can find anything that will accurately mimic a good Rick Bakelite. But with plenty of trial and error with various steels, amp settings, and/or magic in your hands, you should be able to approximate it eventually.

B6 can still be found for rather cheap if you take your time and shop/ask around. Hit the SGF buy/sell section and put out a 'wanted' post for one that is cheap, sounds and plays great but maybe ain't so clean.

Barry Hartzell

Pa suburbs near Philly
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 8:39 pm    

Good point, Ron, it seems the best way to get the sound is to just go with the bakelite for now, if I can find one.

Later, after I've been playing a while, I can find a different guitar, and won't be too disappointed if it doesn't sound quite like the bakelite, if I have one already.

Thanks for the helpful tips!