The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Baggs Para-acoustic DI with dobro
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 31 May 2005 9:11 am    

Anyone use one for dobro? I've got a McEntyre "feather" pickup and am curious what kind of comments and/or advice anyone might have...

I know dobro amplification/miking topics have been covered to death here, and I HAVE read what I could on the archives... but this is a pretty specific question and I haven't read anything that was recent.

thanks...

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 31 May 2005 11:54 am    

Paracoustic DI have lots of headroom, lots of EQ, I've used it with dobro, mandolin and fiddle, even pedal steel guitar, when I forgot my amp once!

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2005 12:27 pm    

I use one of these on my dobro, and it makes the amplified suck less. It doesn't sound good, exactly, but it makes the amplified tone a lot more usable in terms of getting a loud signal with an 'adequate' tone. IMHO nothing makes an amplified dobro sound good (much less great), but this is better than anything I've tried. I also own a Pendulum preamp (which has a great reputation) and I like the Baggs better. I also have a McEntyre pickup.

------------------
www.tyack.com

Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 31 May 2005 1:38 pm    

Pete,

I use one for Dobro on the Gretchen Wilson show. I ageree with what Drew & Dan said. It's the best I've found and is probably as good as it's gonna get. One of my dobros has a fishman and the other has a McIntire Feather. I like the feather a little better as it seems to cut better.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.gaylonmathews.com

Gretchen Wilson
www.gretchenwilson.com

GFI Ultra D-10, Fender Steel King, GHS Strings, SteelSeat.com

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 31 May 2005 6:31 pm    

I use one on the road with Hem. All the guys in the band use them now. They work great. I have not seen or heard of anything better. It solves alot of problems and is very easy to deal with.

------------------
Bob
intonation help

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2005 5:18 am    

Thanks guys... I've got rehearsals coming up this week where I'll be able to run it through the p.a. (and in-ear monitors) and tweak it. Any suggestions for ballpark eq settings to start with? And does anyone use a little reverb in the effects loop?

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2005 7:01 am    

Pete. Start with it flat. First boost the mid control and sweep it around to find the nastiest, barkiest midrange frequency and then cut it back. Then go for balancing out the tone with the rest of the controls. There wont be any standard settings as all instruments tend to have their own unique honks and barks. I used one on my mandolin and guitar with pretty good success. I also had good luck with the Tech21 SansAmp acoustic DI. It was actually easier to dial in than the Baggs. The Baggs has more control though.

Brad