The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel guitar spotted on Fort St., Honolulu!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2005 5:49 pm    

Scarcer than any damn woodpecker and thot by many to be extinct is the sight and sound of a steel guitar in it's natural habitat of Hawaii.

That flagging theory was shattered today when a Bakelite armed Derrick Mau was seen in full flight amongst a throng of similar species creating music obviously enjoyed by those lucky to pass by while shopping or working in this downtown area.

I had to keep moving and couldn't enjoy the mele, so maybe Derrick will fill us in on the news.

Good to see you out front and center Derrick!

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 May 2005 8:07 pm    

Eh Ron....great sighting! Who was Derrick using for backup ?

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 9:53 am    

Hey Ron,
We're at the the mall every Tuesday's and Thursday's from 10:00 to 1:00. There is an electrical outlet that we can use so we have mics and amps.
These old timers have been playing here for a long time. Most play ukulele, but we have an electric bass and guitar too.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 2:53 pm    

EXCELLENT, Derrick.

Even in my previous career far removed from Honolulu / Wacky-key, ...I dreamed of busking "downtown"! With my disabilities now and the rigors of lengthy rehab'ing to medical "retirement", ...the same dream remains just out of reach. I sure hope I can get down to Fort St. and bask in you folks having the blessing to play there.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 26 May 2005 at 05:59 AM.]

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 9:20 pm    

Derrick has been known to pick up his steel and play anywhere.

Fort Street Mall today, and anywhere tomorrow.

He is becoming a good will ambassador of Steel to Hawaii and this is accompanied by a lot of the Aloha spirit.

Geev em, Brah Derrick.

Aloha,
Don

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 25 May 2005 at 10:21 PM.]

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 2:49 am    

Hi Denny,

No busking is allowed on Fort Street. A permit is needed just to play music there. Mall secruity keeps a tight watch on things.
The old timers I jam with has been playing here as long as I can remember. They do it all for the love of Hawaiian music.

My way of promoting awareness for the Hawaiian steel guitar is to play in public areas especially where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic. The more people exposed to the sound of the steel, the more chances of sparking some interest and hopefully revive Hawaiian Steel in our homeland.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 4:44 am    

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 5:18 am    

I figured you folks weren't "busking" there; I just mis-said what I intended to say; Finger fart; Edited correctly now.

...although ... I have wished I could busk somewhere nice downtown; Ala Moana Park has tickled that pipe dream for awhile now.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 26 May 2005 at 06:18 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 6:17 am    

"Derrick has been known to pick up his steel and play anywhere".

This reminds me of a comment made on stage about 'yours truly' by JB many years ago.
"Keoki likes to play so much, if there was a chance to play at the Honolulu city dump, he'd be there!"

I was never too sure if that was a compliment not...Jerry was known at times for his sharp toungue.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 8:13 pm    

Quote:
The more people exposed to the sound of the steel, the more chances of sparking some interest...

Truer words never spoken. There will always be a certain percentage of people listening to the steel guitar sound that will get hooked.

This Texas boy was hooked the first time that I ever heard that Hawaiian steel guitar sound, which was in Texas while listening to the Hawaii Calls program. That desire to hear Hawaiian steel has never dimmed, but only grown stronger.

Derrick, I commend you for what you are doing. I only wish that there were a few more like you to catch your vision.

Aloha,
Don

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 9:11 pm    

Derrick is that where all of us, were tossed out of by the security man?

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 12:28 am    

Hi Ray,

Nope, the place we all got tossed out was the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Fort St. is in the business district of town.
In fact, it was here on Fort St. where I first heard the haunting bells of the steel guitar played by David "Feet" Rogers in 1981. The Sons Of Hawaii performed for a short period every Saturday afternoon.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 12:41 pm    

Derrick: What area were you and Ray playing in Ala Moana Center?

And what reason did they give for booting such nice people? I guess you would attract too many people and they would not take the time to shop.

As I was saying you are a true ambassador for steel in Hawaii.

Aloha,
Don

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 2:08 pm    

Quote:
And what reason did they give for booting such nice people?

As many good soldiers and policemen will attest: Give almost anyone a "badge" and it's authority and seed their head with propaganda rationale ...and sure as poop they CAN become gestapo ...and some even enjoy it. A few people don't need much "brainwashing" at all! Albeit that our generic environments are probably better with rent-a-cops in the trade-offs.

For a long time, Street Musicians in Hawaii (and any number of other places) have had to periodically take a demonstrative legal stand to protect their reasonable grounds.

Derrick being known amongst Steelers in Hawaii as an active proponant / "ambassador" of Steel, ...is testament enough I hope Derrick deservingly appreciates and takes solice in. Not only does it afford public exposure, but inspires others to do the same (I surmise and hope. It sure inspires me).

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 27 May 2005 at 03:17 PM.]

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 3:22 pm    

Hi Denny and Don,

Thanks for the kind words.
We were playing at Ala Moana between Sears and Longs Drugs.
Secruity said we had to pack up and leave because we had too many instruments. We had an upright bass, 3 steels, a guitar, and two ukulele's.
A crowd was starting to gather as we started playing and the head secruity boss didn't like it.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 3:30 pm    

Someone stopped by and gave us this photo of us at Fort Street.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 6:03 pm    

Cool pic. Too bad the mall is all jamup with recon.
At least you still have your spot.

Looks like the Thursday jam, eh Derrick?
Perfect chair you found!

Derrick has deffinitely picked up and carried on the great old style of playing for the fun of it and sharing with everybody.
Good for us he likes the steel.

I'll take this time and liberty to mention that our mutual friend and favorite steeler Bobby Ingano is in the hospital as we speak for a poke.
Nothing extreme, but a poke is a poke.
He wanted to be at that Th. jam with Derrick, but no go.
He'll be ready to rip on his new JB long neck when he gets back.
Put Jeff 'never met a string I didn't like' Ah Hoy in that mix and where else would you want to be?!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 6:30 pm    

Hey man, right in front of that Filipino restaurant. For lunch, maybe a little pancit palabok, some daing na bangus, some sinagang.... I know you're hip to that stuff. Only catch is you have to play a Cha Cha for the Filipinas.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 5:03 am    

Sitting on that watermain for 3 hours was tough on the okole. I just bought a new padded folding seat so I can sit on the right side in the shade. The direct sun on the bakelite gave me some major problems trying to keep in tune.

Hey Mike, what you been up to?? Yeah, Vicki's probably has all that good stuff you mentioned. There is a good variety of restaurants in this area to choose from. Lots of them catering to the nearby International college, banks, and law offices. Sadly, no music stores in this part of town anymore. The last one was called Metronome's. Any of you old timers recall this store?

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 11:03 am    

In 1965, I bought my first Hawaiian steel guitar in downtown Honolulu at a music store which was located on Hotel Street right around the corner from Bishop Street, very close to the Fort Steet Mall. I do not remember the name of the music store. Could that have been Metronome?

The guitar purchased was a Diamond Arai S-6 made in Japan, which was a copy cat of the Fender Deluxe. The guy walked in with this steel guitar to trade for another guitar. It was offered to me for $75, and I bought it immediately.

I am an old-timer and this reminds me of the old days.

Aloha,
Don

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2005 8:52 am    

Hi Don,
I'm pretty sure it had to be Metronome's.
Here's a couple more pictures of the gang.