The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on changing out pickups
Malcolm Leonard

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 10:53 pm    

I have heard that some guys use regular electric guitar pickups on their lap steels.
What about the difference in string spacing?
How does that spacing difference work out when we make that kind of swap?
Thanks,
Malcolm
PS It just occured to my old(and not always properly functioning) brain that we could probably correct that problem by mounting the pickup at a tilted position.

[This message was edited by Malcolm Leonard on 26 May 2005 at 01:13 AM.]

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 10:19 am    

Strat treble pups are wide-spaced, wider that the others generally. Blades are cool for 7 or other odd string spacings. Polepiece heights are more of a problem as standard guitars have an arch in the bridge-fingerboard-nut setup.

I've heard True-Tones are available with custom spacing, as are Lollar pickups,

Yes, slanted mounting can compensate for spacing but creates a tone difference that could be good or bad, you gotta try it.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 2:43 pm    

String spacing for Steel is usually wider than for spanish. The spacing on angled spanish pickups (Strat / Tele) is slightly wider to make up for the slanted tangeant. Often such a pickup has to be de-slanted on a Steel to open up the wider spacing usually desired on Steel; 3/8" at the bridge widely preferred by non-pedal Steelers ... 5/16 a broadly considered minimum by most. The tighter string spacing preference is usually by those that already play "dobro" or pedal steel or 8>12 string steels with tighter spacing.

Telecaster style bridge pickups in the 7 to 9K range are good economical candidates for a replacement although they will require a bigger routing if they have the larger base-plate common to Tele bridge pickups.

Gibson P90's / Reissues are also available in the 3/8" bridge spacing common to old guitars.

My best advice is also to contact Jason Lollar for advice and pickup purchase. He knows what will fit your desires.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 27 May 2005 at 03:45 PM.]