The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suggestions for sound card/64 bit driver for XP 64 bit OS
Joe Harwell

"I've never been bad." ........ Many, LA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 5:19 am    

Anyone found/use/suggest a good sound card with 64 bit drivers compatible with 64 bit windows XP Pro? Will be using with Tascam FW-1884, the Tascam will act as the instruments/mic/MIDI interface to computer with 64 bit Sonar 6 Producer.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 4:53 pm    

You might check with Tascam regarding a release date for XP64 drivers for your 1884 interface. I believe RME had already released theirs and Presonus has been saying theirs will be ready this month.

Joe Harwell

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 5:11 pm    

Thanks, Miguel.
I do have the FW1884 64 bit driver.
It is on their website.

I'm look for a decent PC soundcard with 64bit drivers.

Any suggestions?

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 6:44 pm    

Hey Joe,

I probably am not anticating your correct application or concept, but in my one dimensional thinking, your Tascam interface is a far superior "audio card" to what comes in any shelf computer. Are you looking for something PCI or is there some reason you need an internal sound card plus your external (1884)? (more inputs perhaps?). I am just thinking audio/DAW here so maybe that's where I'm missing the boat.

There is a wealth of info on Cakewalk's site (www.cakewalk.com) including the forums (including discussions about control surfaces and interfaces (I'm sure there is some info about your unit).

I just recently migrated from a defunct system (PARIS) to Sonar 6PE. I'm upgrading to a very fast custom computer within the week...XP64, Core2duo E6700 and Quadcore ready. The only sound card I'll be using for now is a Presonus Firepod and I'll go to an RME Fireface 800 as soon as possible.

As far as audio interface goes, your combo mixer/interface should work quite well. I think there is an issue with the 1884 for those migrating from Sonar 5 to 6 but it's not major and the fix is probably in the works.

Maybe you could elaborate on your desire for a pc soundcard XP64 other than the one you have.

Mike

Joe Harwell

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 7:13 pm    

You are exactly correct regarding the FW1884.

I just want to buy a good 64 bit sound card for playback in case the Tascam is out of the loop for some reason.

And I have a Shuttle Pro as a control surface in addition to the Tascam. I have 64 bit drivers for it.

This is my first real adventure into a pure 64 bit XP platform and I was just wondering if anyone else had some experience with some good sound cards they found work well. It's the 64 bit compatibility thing.

No intention to use the sound card in the recording loop.

Sorry for the confusion.

Please email your PC hardware configuration if you don't mind. I'm trying to finalize mine. And would like to stay in touch as I will be using SonarPE 6, too. Perhaps we can share learning experiences.