The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HANK SNOW, et al, and others
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 2:37 pm    

Have great performance by JERRY BYRD........ "Young People Continue Traveling".... as guessed, it's Japanese (I believe?) Great instrumental and JERRY BYRD all the way.

An olde HANK SNOW tune, with JERRY BYRD playing some beautiful fills and the like. The song: "Blue for old Hawaii".....and it's the way good music used to be.

You might give it a listen then share your views on the steel guitar.....with those of us here on the Forum.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 8:54 am    

A great pair,two of my heros,When I was a ten year old country boy and heared Hank on the radio doing I'm moving on,that is what made me want to be a musician,And hearing Jerry on so many hit songs at that time made me fall in love with the steel guitar.

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2007 1:40 am     Hank Snow and Jerry Byrd

Wink
Now, you are bringing back many memories about a man [ men ] whom brought much joy to his fellow Canadians and to every-one else on the Universe; and Hank always had a fine taste for his back-up musicians; Our beloved Jerry Byrd, being a great addition to any C/W vocalist. Another steel player whom I thought brought out the best in Hank's talents was a fellow steeler by the name of Buford Gentry. What a grand sound this guy provided on a small " LAP' guitar. Do any of you remember this GENT? I admired Jerry Byrd on several of Hank, Sr.'s recordings. [ Plus many other artists..] Laughing

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2007 3:36 am    

Bernie, I certainly remember Buford Gentry. I have seen him play in person. He got a great sound from his lap steel. The fiddle player at the time was Chubby Wise.
When Buford played, I could hear some Jerry Byrd sounds coming from the steel. Those are good memories. ............. JD

Bernie Gonyea

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2007 2:27 pm     Buford Gentry

John, you are another steel player whom has very good taste in your favorite musicians; Yes, I agree whole-heartly about Jerry's style of playing coming thru in Buford's picking that small lap-top.. I believe I had the good fortune of seeing him, along with Hank Snow; at a live performance of The Grand Ole Opry. Hank was no amateur on the flat-top guitar, either. I have many of Hank's old 33 and1/3 Albums. Loved him dearly but like so many singers, would be nothing with-out their steel guitar backing friends..That's what I call great C/W Music.. Thanks, John, for your opinion..Bernie Laughing[/b]

Dave Clark

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2007 3:09 pm    

This is a real oldie, Ray. Thanks for posting it.
Recording artists were fortunate to have Jerry Byrd backing them up.

Hank and Anita Carter sang together on Bluebird Island. I believe this was in the 60's. Who was the steeler on Bluebird Island. Maybe Kayton Roberts. He has a great Hawaiian style.

Thanks for keeping the site going!

Dave

Bernie Gonyea

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2007 3:23 pm     Blue Bird Island

Rolling Eyes
Ray And Dave; Not a 100% but that may have been Kayton; I'll get out my Hank S.. records and see if I have that tune.. I have an inkling that possibly it was our boy, Jerry. He did an awful lot of recording in Nashville, at that time. But I'm certain you Jerry Byrd fans can come to our rescue.. please..Bernie Laughing

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 5:41 pm     Kayton Roberts or JERRY BYRD?

"Blue Bird Island", as I best recall, is NOT, JERRY BYRD. My first guess is that it is Kayton, but I'm not an expert on Kayton's style.

What say the rest of you guys/gals?

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 12:54 am    

I went to an outdoor Hank Snow show in the summer of 1971, near Dresser,Wisconsin. I met Kayton there and he told me, that he had only been working for Hank Snow for a few months.