The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  mission started and ...
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 9:33 am    

hey everybody. I recorded two tracks. laughable, but I recorded.
the headphone cord got in my way, but I just went at it just to get something down.
some latency problems between the tracks that I will work out.
my question is:
how do I make an MP3?
using Cubase and a PC I plugged my rig into the port of the audio interface. all went well as to be expected.
I saved the recording and then found I could transport it to MP3.
when I did it ended up in the Music Jukebox program that came with this PC.
although the recording was minutes long it showed up in Jukebox as nineteen seconds.
that sucks.
can anyone help?

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:04 am    

When you say you saved the song and then transported it, can you be more specific in the exact steps you took. Although I have Cubase, I don’t use it much, but…all PC platforms work in the same basic manner. After you have recorded, you then need to make a file of choice, (Wave, MP3…), through the FILE>EXPORT>AUDIO MIXDOWN tabs. There in the audio mixdown box you will be able to select a save location, type of file, and bit/sample rate. Using this example will ensure that you at least have a legitimate audio file for your target media choice. You might have separate issues with your player of choice. I’m still using Windows Media Player with no problems for testing files and CD’s.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:27 am    

Robby, I think you hit it . I typically save files in the manner you posted...but that was with a different program (Audacity and I was loading up analog).
I think I may have missed something crucial inreading the save to file box. I am going to check that out.
having a PC I do have Windows Media. I have not used that as Music JukeBox pops up and wants everything.
I need to be more careful. thanks.

if this is not the situation....
I'll be back. Wink

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:53 am    

Hey Randy,

I hope that helps. I do have a few other players on my machine, but from past experience, some can be a real problem. For me, I stay with WMP because it works for what I do. I know that the players compete for which one is suppose to be the default player...which is where most problems start. Pick one that you know will do what you want it to and then disable the "file associations" in the preferences of ALL OTHER players, or un-install them. Make sure that you enable the file associations with a check by all files you use and work with in the preferences of what ever player you end up with. That will cure most conflicts.

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 10:55 am    

Randy - one very important thing to check when you export the mixdown is where you have set the markers. Make sure #1 (ctrl+1) is set at the beginning of the song, and #2 (ctrl+2) is set at the end of the song. If you only got 19 seconds of the song you've probably had marker #2 set a few bars into the song and not at the end.

Steinar

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 12:10 pm    

Steinar. if you have ever watched 'the Simpsons' then you will understand when I say DOH!.

I am at wotk now, but when I get home and check those markers I just bet I had not piad attention to them.

one more mile down the load of experience.

brilliant guys. thanks.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 4:00 pm    

Robby and Steinar have both solved my mystery.
I checked my Default and there was a conflict. that is sorted out now. I will not have to ditch Music Jukebox yet.
although I still find it commercially irritating.

as for transporting the entire recording instead of those nineteen seconds...
that is solved as well.
I missed the small arrow at the top of my track. using the mouse I could drag it to the end point of the recording.
going to MP3 was easy. the same list of choices appeared. WAV, MP3 etc etc.

I do have some major latency problems to work out yet.
I will check the manual and deal with the buffers, I believe.

so. I am a bit closer. I made peace with m,y progress. baby steps are fine for now.

I do need a better headphone. the tiny one I had lying around is laughable; it's short cord was landing on my steel when playing. I have enough damping issues w/o that one LOL.

thanks guys. as a token of thanks I will not post my MP3 to spare your fine tuned ears.
lordy, it was awful. Very Happy