The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Lust !!!
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2014 4:27 am    

Thanks guys. You are right, I do think that they are more available there than here.
This is a great 'heads up' and I say thanks. I'll certainly do some homework! Now back to drooling over the stringmaster pics!!! Cheers all. Whoa!

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 2:41 am    

Here's another one to check out. Completely restored - mostly from parts bought through the forum.

I documented the rebuild here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=270347

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 7:02 am    

Wow! Stunning! Nice work, Jeff. That was fast... it seems like you just started this restoration a few weeks ago.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 7:44 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Wow! Stunning! Nice work, Jeff. That was fast... it seems like you just started this restoration a few weeks ago.

I just checked back on the resoration thread and I got the necks around the middle of August so it was about 2 months from pile of old wood to gig!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 10:17 am    

I like the front, with your name on it. It has a very cool Retro, yet contemporary look. That guitar will be the center of attention on any bandstand!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 11:01 am    

It's hard to associate that great looking instrument with the chunks of wood that sat on my wood reserve in the basement not long ago. It just goes to show that nothing should ever be discarded. Very Happy

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 11:40 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
It's hard to associate that great looking instrument with the chunks of wood that sat on my wood reserve in the basement not long ago. It just goes to show that nothing should ever be discarded. Very Happy

I should mention that this wouldn't have happened at all if Doug Beaumier hadn't pointed me to the advert for the T8 hardware and your comment to Basil (and his subsequent reply) about his unfinished Quad project.

So apart from all the other great stuff that happens on this forum, it is directly responsible for another Quad Stringmaster being out there.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 12:03 pm    

That's great to hear, Jeff!

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 3:50 am    

It's a great piece of work Jeff. I've been following that thread!! What a transformation. Any more 'piles of wood' and bits and pieces laying around in people's basements???? Very Happy Very Happy

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 10:35 am    

Jeff,
What a terrific project. As you said, a pile of wood transformed into a beautiful instrument. I've watched this thread from it's conception and you have put a great deal of effort into it, I guess it was a "labour of love"?
It is also well documented for anyone wishing to do the same, if they're lucky enough to find some necks!
You were very fortunate to get replacements for the missing hardware even though they were not all original parts, and your friend certainly made an exceptional job of re-finishing the woodwork.
The red is "in yer face" and couldn't be ignored on stage.
Hopefully we'll get to hear a few sound clips soon on this Forum and the British Steelies too.
Congrats,
Keith

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 10:52 am    

Keith Glendinning wrote:
...for anyone wishing to do the same, if they're lucky enough to find some necks!...

The necks aren't the hard part. People often strip steel guitars for their hardware and discard the necks. It's the hardware, mostly tuning pans, that are the most difficult to get, otherwise I would put together some more Stringmasters. The tuners themselves are easy to get, as are fingerboards, and pickups are not that difficult if you're happy with ones that are not original. Sometimes steel guitarists replace the original pick-ups with new ones and sell the originals, and the old ones often turn up in the For Sale section of this forum.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 2:59 am    

Wasn't some one making replacement tuner pan copies at one stage? This is a project I would love to do as it may be the only chance I may have of getting a stringmaster. Any leads to get started on finding parts? Just a thought.
Then again I could just make a copy if I could get the tuner pan. Wasn't Ricky Davis doing some copies?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 8:23 am    

The bridge plates and control plate are other pieces of hardware that are extremely hard to find. If I had just the wood body and had to buy all the hardware separately... I wouldn't. It would probably be cheaper to buy a complete Stringmaster.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 10:03 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
... If I had just the wood body and had to buy all the hardware separately... I wouldn't. It would probably be cheaper to buy a complete Stringmaster.

That's why I haven't done anything with the remaining Stringmaster necks.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 9:31 am    

Jeff, your quad turned out great! It's good to see those fretboards going to good use. I had several made when I did my restoration last year on this one. It had rusty plating, drilled tuning pan and heavily scratched and dented fretboards. I decided to engrave it as long as I planned to have all the metal re-chromed.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 9:34 am    

Wow, that is amazing work! Beautiful.

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 8:06 am    

Wow, awesome!

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 11:21 am    

With the hope that this doesn't feel like a thread hijack... I'm looking for a long scale quad Stringmaster in case any of you have one you're thinking about parting with.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2014 10:52 am    

I'm a little self-conscious coming in behind Jeff's great looking quad and Ron's stunning triple neck. I understand the 6 stringers are somewhat rare though so here's my recently acquired '56 Dual six Stringmaster. 22.5" scale. I'm the second owner!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2014 6:51 pm    

Cool guitar, very clean and rare (D-6).

Bill Quinn

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2014 4:35 pm    

Mine is a Quad, however I removed the back neck. The fourth neck and all its parts are in a safe place along with the longer four-neck connecting rods. Hence the T8 with the massive wood of the first neck of a quad. Actually taking the Quad out of the house got to be cumbersome.
I got it pretty cheap on EBay as it had been routed out for pedals as shown. To my surprise when I put the pedal hardware together after quite a bit of wrangling it worked. All the primitive home-made stuff came with the steel, plus more. The middle neck has individual moving bridges and the top eight strings of pedal steel E9 tuning. It has A-B pedals, of course missing the tenth string raise. And it stays in tune , as in all night long.
Still sounds like a Stringmaster should even after the routing I suppose just because of all the remaining wood mass. The meaningless serial number is 0066. Too bad somebody carved it up back in the day but it is once again in use.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2014 5:37 pm    

Quote:
taking the Quad out of the house got to be cumbersome...

I know what you mean. I took my Quad out on a couple of gigs and it's a behemoth! I had to use my hand truck with inflatable tires just to get the guitar (in case) from my car into the building. But once it's set up on the bandstand it's a sight to behold!
Bill, that's a cool looking Stringmaster, even with the modifications. It's got the Fender tone and that's what's important.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2014 11:38 pm    

Bill Quinn wrote:
Hence the T8 with the massive wood of the first neck of a quad. Actually taking the Quad out of the house got to be cumbersome.

That's really cool. I bet removing the neck closer to you made it a bit easier to reach the pedals too!!

I wonder if the weight of the hardware vs the removal of the wood made it heavier or lighter - unless it's mostly aluminium (or aluminum as you guys say) I'd guess heavier.

Actually, a triple with a set up like that would work really well for me, although I'd set up the padals for an A6 to D9 change (like Speedy had, but a tone lower).

And I've still got the tie rods for the triple!!!
Now, where's my hacksaw? (only kidding).

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 9:55 am    

I am still loving my 60s something Stringmaster D-6...and finally got a decent picture of it.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 5:35 pm    

Terry VunCannon wrote:
I am still loving my 60s something Stringmaster D-6...

Intresting fret markers - any idea where they are from?