The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Safest Way to Ship
David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 3:59 am    

Who would you use? UPS,Federal Express...
I am shipping a weissenborn and a resonator

Thanks-Dave

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 4:44 am    

i prefer FedEx over the brownies

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 5:22 am    

Next Day Air or overnight delivery.

You asked for the safest. It's also the most expensive.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 5:35 am    

If you ship it via UPS, make sure to insure it for about $5,000-10,000. It doesn't cost much and they take better care of it.

FedEx Ground is riskier, but I've used it quite a few times. You need outside insurance with them. I insure all my instruments.

Alan Kirk

Paso Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 5:56 am    

UPS and FEDEX suck--rough handling and bogus insurance. USPS only.

------------------

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 6:05 am    

Mu experience- about 3,000 guitars over the last 4 years- has been that UPS could vaporize and I wouldn't lose sleep. at least 6 broken guitars, beyond repair. Fedex ground is cheaper but you run the risk of a lot of heavy stuff being stacked on top of your box. I'd say Fedex 3 day, at least, if it's packed right USPS won't take the box that size. Pack only with bubble pack, and support the headstock as well as you can inside the case. at least two layers of bubble pack all the way around. If there is a Guitar Center around they are usually very accommodating about giving away good boxes, the Gibson acoustic boxes are the best. Good luck!

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 6:10 am    

Something as fragile as a Weissenborn I would send overnight, and bite the bullet on the cost ....Much safer than ground....
All the companies suck when shipping ground ....One is no better than the other these days .... If you DO decide to go ' ground, make sure you get a box that is MUCH bigger, and buy a big bag of styro peanuts....Put the guitar in it's case and in a cardboard box....Then put that box in a BIGGER box surrounded by the styro peanuts.....Put the peanuts in the Bottom of the box before you put the box containing the guitar in, and then load up the rest around the box with peanuts...You want as much cushion as possible around the box that 's holding your guitar , and then insure it for what it's worth and a little more .....Insurance claims from ANY of the shippers is a nightmare !!.....Jim

David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 6:59 am    

Thanks For all responses.I have heard nighmare stories and want to a avoid one
-Dave

HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 7:00 am    

PEANUT ALERT!

Be careful! Know your packing regulations with regard to peanuts. UPS will dismiss claims if peanuts are used over a certain weight, and also depending on the item being shipped. This happened to me. Fortunately it was the inside of the case that was damaged (easy repair) and not the steel.

I like to use rigid insulation packed tightly.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 08 April 2005 at 08:01 AM.]

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 7:28 am    

I use generaly use FedEx Ground, I pack very well and have had no problem with about 150 instruments shipped.
Not everyone understands how to pack, so I always give instructions on protecting the headstock against hitting the edge of the case, and to loosen the strings a bit.
Yesterday I recieved a 1976 solid body Guild S-250 from an Ebay auction I had lost, but the guitar was offered to me because the auction winner was overseas and the seller did not sell to international bidders (it said so on the shipping terms, but the idiot didn't read English)
I paid for the guitar and he sent me a tracking# from UPS. All is fine as I await the guitar. I had given him emailed simple istructions on how to pack. So the box arrives with no padding between the guitar case and the box (not good) and when I open the case, there is the guitar with no bubble wrap or cushioning of the guitar at all. The guitar fit in the case very loosly and was free to wander about in all directions several inches. Miraculously it survived with only some bad scuffs! The strings were loosened a bit thak god or it would have had no chance.
I suppose since the item was "outside" ebay's feedback system, the seller was not worried about it and just through it in the case.
Wow. I just needed to share.
Loni

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 8:54 am    

A note on UPS insurance:

When a Sho-Bud amp *disappeared* in shipment and UPS finally agreed it was their fault after two months of headaches and countless phone calls, I was then challenged that the amp was actually WORTH the $600 I'd insured it for.

I had to provide the sales receipt of the fellow I sold it to, a copy of the refund check I cut to him, and a list of instruments I'd sold on my letterhead to PROVE to them I regularly deal in instruments and know what they're worth.

So any insurance claim grossly over the value of the instrument would without doubt be challenged by the shipper regardless of how much insurance was purchased and paid for, since there is a lot of insurance fraud out there as well, of course.

When I bought my Bigsby, I used FedEx Next Day Air. It was over $200, but when dealing with an instrument of that value, I want it in Harm's Way for as little time as possible.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 8:57 am    

Loni, there is nothing more common than people without common sense. There's not a day that goes by that I do not personally witness stuff like this.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 9:04 am    

Agreed, Herb, but the here's point I was trying to make:
When I shipped my 1940 Epiphone Emperor via UPS, I double-boxed and packed it well with bubble in the case where I could. I insured the guitar for $15,000 (twice its value), but i watched the UPS guys whisper and then practically tiptoe with the instrument. Prevention is better than cure.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 9:50 am    

I'd say double box it with plenty of bubble wrap and cardboard spacers between the case and the box and between the boxes. Send it UPS 3 day air. They hire nicer teenage boys to load packages than Fedex and USPS does . .

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 11:29 am    

UPS or FED EX ?
Insist on riding with the driver to its destination

If its a Fender? Fender Tweed Dont Bleed.

The Knight Of Fender Tweed Has Spoken.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 11:37 am    

Howard writes...............................
There's not a day that goes by that I do not personally witness stuff like this. Close your eyes and stay out of trouble. Witness
Protection Program is your next stop.

Never Go Against The Family

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 12:19 pm    

I agree with above and always tell the seller how to pack it. Some people don't know. So far, every seller followed my instructions and there have been no problems. I always compare USPS and UPS. I guess it depends where it's going. Sometimes one is cheaper than the other by $5 or more.

Ron

HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 1:21 pm    

Quote:
I always compare USPS and UPS

So do I, and I've noticed a difference of one "S"

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 1:28 pm    

UPS used to be ok, every box they bring me now looks like packers worked it over (green bay that is)

use hardshell case with bubbles inside if not absolutely tight. inside a box with 2 layers bubblewrap.

try for fedex 2 or 3 day

on CharlieC Gibsons, loosen strings, put 2or3 layers cardboard between strings and CC pickups then retighten strings about half tight.

Insure big and have pics, ups and fedex try to not pay, unlike the old days.