The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E7 vs. E9
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 6:22 am    

Here's a 1:1 comparison of E7 to E9 (JB version) ...

(lo to hi)

E7 ... E D E G# B E

E9 ... D E F# G# B E

Both have that great ... 351 ... on top.

About the only advantage I see in the E7 ... is the bass root note.

This is the first time ... in my "comparison series" ... that a tuning incorporates a Major Second Interval ... F# G#

Not only does it give you a "beautiful" big ol' strum 9th chord ...

But it sets up some very "speedy" scale work across the strings.

Personally ... I'm not much of an "across the strings" player ... but I do enjoy "noodlin' around" with scales.

When I hang out with folks who like to play blues/rock stuff ... I'll throw on the E9 ... then drop the F# to E ...

So I'll have (2) E strings in the middle ... ones a bit floppy ... but the basic E maj tuning sounds real good ... all overdriven ... for that stuff.

Then if I can talk them into it ... I'll pull it back to F# ... and play some pretty Hawaiian songs.

The other bonus for me ... is that the E9 and C6/A7 can utilize the same set of string gauges ... and since I'm not much of a "double necker" ... thats really handy.

I only use two tunings ... C6/A7 and this E9.

How 'bout y'all ... advantages/disdavantages ... ???

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 24 March 2005 at 06:35 AM.]

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 8:25 am    

The advantage to E9 e b g# f# e d b low E is is sounds more jazzy whrn you incl;ude the F# strg. Foe the Andy Iona stuff just forget the F#. For some real good stuff run the B up to C# and have a ball. Why the low E .056 ? With B raised to C# its easier to play boot heel drag especially when your bass player can't find his a$$ with both hands. CC

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 8:44 am    

RICK, I confess that I'm not much of a six-string player. Its just psychological. I just feel too limited, but with 7 or 8 strings and up, I'm right at home with E7,E9, or E13. Even though you or I can hear a big difference in these tunings,experience has taught me that the listening publick can't. Therefore, regardless of expanded chord possibilities,slants,scales,etc.,it always just seems to come back to which tuning is more fun to play on a particular gig. My "mainstay" 8-string tuning is (lo to hi) D E F# G# B C# E D#. I use the D# to give me a partial B6 tuning to work out of without re-tuning. So, you might consider D F# G# B E D#. However, out of your two six-string tunings, I would favor the E9 because of the increased scale execution possibilities. If there is no standard guitar player and you are the whole lead section, the low E of the E7 sure is handy. Just my $0.02.
~~W.C.~~

Dwayne Martineau

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 9:21 am    

This relates to an 8-string question I have...

On my Leon McAuliffe-style E13 neck, I usually just get tripped up by the F# and lower it to E...

(low to high): E G# D F# G# B C# E
alternate: B E

Other than just giving you a 9th chord, what are the advantages?

Can anyone post some chords, scales, or licks that really exploit that F# string?

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 9:24 am    

CC and WC ... thanks for the input ...

What I'm tryin' to do in these "series of comparisons" ... is to lay out the "fretboard" on these popular tunings ...

And try and get folks to give input on why they like or dislike a particular tunin' ... from their own personal experiences.

Mostly for folks who are just startin' out.

I'm diagraming 6 strings ... cause I'm lazy ... and figure folks can extend them out to 7, 8 or 10 at their leisure.

Personally, I'm a die hard six string C6/A7 player (who dabbles in E9) ...

Thanks again for joinin' in ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 9:49 am    

Dwayne ... I've never "understood" that particular E13 tunin' ...

I hope someone will jump in to help you out there ...

Personally ... having the F#, B and C# in these "E13th" tunings ... or the 2,5 & 6 in any tuning for that matter ...

Brings up a "Just Intonation" issue ... that for me ... just isn't worth messin' with.

Disclaimer: I only have use of my right hand thumb and index finger ... so "exotic" 3 or 4 pick grips ... are not possible.

Anything more than 2 notes played simultaneously ... must be done with a thumb pick sweep in combo with my index finger pick

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 24 March 2005 at 09:55 AM.]

Dwayne Martineau

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 2:00 pm    

Yeah... all I can find on E13th on The Forum, other than Oklahoma Stomp, is variants of "help!" and "can't help ya!"

Don Helms' E13 book/CD only deals with E6, essentially.

I know that some of my favourite sounds live on E13... somewhere. I feel at home on C6, but it just isn't dissonant enough sometimes.

Rick, you've got me itching to try that 3-5-1 combo on the top strings.

All my tunings have that 6th breaking it up.

Of course, there are some nice 3-string minor, dim, aug, and 9th slants across the 6-1-3-5 strings as well.

Do you miss that 3-5-1 combo on the C6/A7?

Do you feel E9 gives more lead options to you than the C6/A7?

...and I thought having room for four tunings would be enough...

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 2:36 pm    

E13 (no F#) vs C6/A7 is gonna be my last 1:1 ... gonna do it tomorrow.

As far as the 351 ... I do like it a bunch ... but not enough to "displace" C6/A7 as my favorite.

Mike Neer transcribed 10 Andy Iona songs off of Cumquat's CDs for me ... and I didn't "bat an eye" when I went to write up my little arrangements for them.

Went straight to C6/A7 ... even though E9 was closer to what "my hero" played it in.

I just know the C6/A7 too well ... even though I ain't doin' much harmony stuff anymore ... I don't even have to think about anything when I'm playin' in it ...

I guess thats kinda my goal here ... not to convert folks to C6/A7 ... ...

But to help folks choose a couple tunin's ... ones that compliment their tastes in music ...

It took me years and years to be familiar enough with just two tunings ... to be able to use them (other than playin' tab) ...

Just tryin' to cut that time down for those new to the steel guitar.

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 24 March 2005 at 03:11 PM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 3:48 pm    

We can also transpose both E7 and E9 down a third to help see them more "in a C6 light":

E7 E9 C6/(13)
(down a 3rd) (down a 3rd)
E
C C C
G G A
E E G
C D E
Bb C C
C Bb (Bb)

[This message was edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 24 March 2005 at 03:54 PM.]