The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  7 vs. 8 string dobro?
Keith Hamm

Three Rivers, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2005 5:24 pm    

Hello everybody, Does any one have an opinion on the virtues of one vs. the other. I would prefer more but I have heard that 8 strings tend to "load" the cone in a negative way. Any comments? Thanks

db

Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2005 6:14 pm    

7 will do it !
8 is optional !'
If you have an interstitial note.

------------------
Dan Balde
U-12/8&5, S-7/D 3&1, S-6/E,A & G3

Gregg McKenna

South Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 9:24 am    

On the 8 string resonator guitars I've built, I noticed very little if any difference in the sound quality by the additional 2 strings. If the guitar is well made and properly set up, the sound quality should be just as good as a 6 string.

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 2:29 pm    

What concerns me is string spacing...unless the neck is made wider to accommodate the two extra strings, it can make for tight string spacing (in relation to bar slant work) if 8 strings are crammed onto a 6 string neck.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 4:43 pm    

My mileage on this varies according to my experience.

I've played a lot of dobros and in several configurations. I own 6 - 7 - 8 - & 10 string dobros.

Assuming that the tuning remains close, G & G6, once you go above 6 strings, there is a difference in tone and sound. More than 6 strings, the tone becomes thinner and there is less volume. Now, as Greg said, a well made & properly set up guitar is very important. Having this, the volume and tone may be very close to a 6 stringer. Close, but not the same.

I have a 1986 - 6 string Dobro and a 1990 - 8 string Dobro. Both made by Dobro. They are not close in sound.

I have 6 & 8 string resonators by Carroll Benoit that are much closer in sound. I'm also very impressed with the Mike Auldridge/Paul Beard 8 strings. They have a beautiful sound. Close, but not the exact same.

Once you go to more than 6 strings, you have several variables that will affect the sound.

The tuning. If you tune in C6 using lighter gauge strings, there's a thinner sound. Thinner than a G6 tuning. At the Beard booth in Dallas, there were three 8 stringers tuned to C6, C9, & G6. You could easily hear the difference in the sound & tone. Since most 6 strings are tuned in G, that's what people compare them too, even if it seems like comparing apples to oranges. I've never had a 6 string dobro tune to C6, so I don't have that comparison, which would seem to be a fairer comparison.

The string spacing: Unless you're a pedal steeler, you will most probably be uncomfortable with 8 strings on a 6 string neck. Dobro players like to dig hard. Tough to do with a narrow spacing. If you can't dig hard, you'll lose volume. Steel players play lighter, and that also has a lot to do with the sound that you hear from them.

Conversely, a 6 string spacing for 8 strings will be uncomfortable too. It's all right for 7 strings, although a hair narrower would be a good choice. Here's why:

When you go to a 7/8 string tuning, it's usually a 6th tuning. It could be something else, but rarely remains a major tuning. Now, you have to be careful in avoiding a certain string which means skip grips, or pick grips. No matter how you slice it, you're going to have to reach wider with your fingers because you're avoiding a string. If the string spacing is too wide, playing becomes uncomfortable and less fluent.

Recently, I had a 7 string resonator made for me. It has a nice full tone. It has that 6 string tone. It's tuned to a G7 (with a pedal lowering the 7th to a 6th) using the same gauges for standard G tuning. I also had the guitar built 1/4" larger all around. I believe this was a major factor in getting the sound I wanted. That low G rings like a bell and I have plenty of volume.

Last year I had an 8 string made. I had it made in the shape, but more importantly the size of a Selmer/Macafferi guitar. It's tuned to C6/A7. This one also has a nice full sound with great volume and string separation with great highs & lows.

My opinion, if you're looking for one guitar, shop around, get an 8 string with great tone. If you want to remove a string, you've got nothing to lose. You'll have both options.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 21 March 2005 at 04:52 PM.]

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 5:52 pm    

Thanks, Howard! That was an awesome report! You certainly have a nice collection to compare.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 7:53 pm    

Quote:
unless the neck is made wider to accommodate the two extra strings, it can make for tight string spacing
Isn't it enough to just use a wider nut and bridge on a narrow neck?

Keith Hamm

Three Rivers, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 7:56 pm    

Thanks everybody, I am a new member and this is exactly the kind of insight and experience I was hoping for.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 9:02 pm    

Quote:
Isn't it enough to just use a wider nut and bridge on a narrow neck

Deja vu Ernest? Seems that I kinda remember this before, unless I'm imagining it.

I have this situation with a lap steel. The outer strings are difficult to see because they protrude further than the edge of the neck. It's uncomfortable. At least for me.

If a 6 is what you have to work with, sure, it can be done. I'd much prefer the wider neck though if I had the choice.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 10:55 pm    

I had a discussion with Paul Beard a few Namms ago, and his point of view was that the fewer strings the better tone, due to the damping of the resonator. He said a guy had a 5 string dobro made (shades of Keith Richards). I don't know how much difference there would be between a 7 and an 8 string in this regard. I had an old 30s dobro that had been butchered with a spanish neck conversion. I took it to the Dobro (pre Gibson) and they put an 8 string neck on it. That dobro was one of the best sounding instruments I have ever heard!. Stupid me, I sold it, and the guy who bought it converted it back to a 6 string.

------------------
www.tyack.com

Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 7:38 am    

At the Dallas show recently, I was checking out some resonators, and found an extraordinary 6 string guitar at James Adams' booth. Just a strum across the strings while it sat on it's stand got my attention. After sitting down and playing it, it floored me. He is at present changing it to a 7 string for me and he says he doesn't think it will affect the tone. The string spacing was wider than my six string, and by widening the nut just a tiny bit, we've been able to keep the same spacing I'm used to on my 1981 D series Dobro. After I get the guitar, I will reply again and post the results. I sure hope it's a good report!