The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NP Steelers In South Florida
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 10:49 am    

I've been making my living playing guitar and singing for over 40 years, the last 25 of them mainly in S. Florida - Ft Lauderdale / Miami area to be exact. About 21 years ago I picked up my first steel and little by little worked it into the act. It now occurs to me that in all that time I have:

1. never seen a non pedal steel guitar, other than the ones I own (except in pictures) . .
2. never met anyone or heard of anyone else in this area who plays non pedal steel.
3. never mentioned non pedal steel without getting funny looks

Now maybe I've led a sheltered life, maybe I didn't stumble in to the right honky tonks, maybe I came too late or left too early - I really don't know.

So . . here's my question - are there any Non Pedal Steelers in either Broward or Dade County ? ?

------------------
Rick Alexander
Fender Stringmaster T8,D8, Fender Dual Professional, Fender Champion, Rickenbacker 6 String, Alkire Eharp
web site

[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 05 March 2005 at 01:37 PM.]

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 11:20 am    

Here's a link to some Floridian steel players.

Why not just call it "steel guitar"? No need to call it non-pedal.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 12:02 pm    

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately the only one on the list in my area is Neil Flanz, and he relocated to Austin a few months ago. Neil left Nashville for Austin 20 years ago but took a little detour through S. Florida. Neil is one of the best steel players in the world and I had the pleasure to work with him on numerous occasions during his time here.
Yes you're right - "steel guitar" I do like that the best. People often think that means pedal steel though, that's why I sometimes feel obliged to emphasize the distinction. But to heck with it - "STEEL GUITAR" it is then, and let 'em figure out which kind!

Rick

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 1:01 pm    

I grew up in Miami (thru 3rd grade) and then moved to WPB. My dad was the head football coach at Chris. Columbus HS and then Miami Springs HS when it opened up.

We moved back to Hollywood in '95 ... so my wife could go to medical school at Univ. of Miami.

We lived down the street from the Hollywood Police Dept. ... Hollywood Blvd and Park ...

Man, I lived there till '99 ... you were right down the road ...

We sure could have had some fun ...

------------------

www.horseshoemagnets.com

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 2:01 pm    

Rick - Man we were neighbors! Well, if you're ever back this way for a visit, give me a call. My studio is easy to find - one block from Guitar Center in Hallandale right off I-95. It would have been nice just to have somebody to talk to about steel stuff. My wife abruptly changes the subject and everybody else just looks confused . .
Rick

Big Steel

[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 05 March 2005 at 01:36 PM.]

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 5:53 pm    

Wow, guys--I have some kin in Hollywood, been there quite a few times myself.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 6:20 pm    

How could you guys leave here? Hollywood Beach is the poor man's Hawaii . .
It just needs a few more steel guitar players . . . .

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 8:17 am    

I miss downtown Hollywood ... Shuckums, Try My Thai, ... then up to Ft Laud to the ultimate ... The Mai Kai.

I remember way, way back ... a Hula Girl would serve the "Mystery Drink" ...
Topless ...

I miss that place bad !!! ...

We moved cause my wife wanted to be a rural family doc ... not alot of rural-ness down there ... 'cept due west

Anyway ... I know Ed Mayer lives in Sunrise ... he is a great player ... was with Rudi Wairata ... plays "Ticklin' the Strings" everybit as well as Rudi did

He's definitely one steel man to search out !!!!

And forumite ... Tom Snook ... is in Ft Lauderdale somewhere. Maybe he'll jump in.

Speakin' of "Snook" ... oh how I miss that kinda fishin' ... this trout stuff up here ... they're like bait fish to me

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2004 5:36 pm    

There is a picture of a pocket watch fob... How do I get one? jennings

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 7:31 am    

Don't forget Dick Sanft in FL. He plays great Hawaiian and was THE steel guitarist at Disneyworld for many years.

One of the best Hawaiian steel guitarists you could ever want to hear in the Hollywood, FL., area was Dwight Harris. He had a touch and feeling for Hawaiian music which surpassed almost everyone except Jerry Byrd. Even Jerry thought he was great. Dwight, the perfectionist he was, gave up steel in frustration and never went back to it. Sold all his gear. He was a featured steel player in the Detroit area for many years prior to his move to FL.

Also, in Lakeland, FL, (I think), you will find Capt. Ivan Reddington who is excellent on Hawaiian steel. (He is a retired airlines pilot.)

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 28 July 2004 at 09:25 AM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 8:24 am    

Keoki,
Do you have a number or email for Dwight Harris? His phone# is unlisted.

------------------
Rick Alexander
Fender Stringmaster, National New Yorker

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 8:40 am    

Rick...I wish I could be of help you. Dwight and I were very good friends, matter of fact, I traveled all the way from Edmonton to Hollywood, FL., just to be with him and Joe Secretario, (the late famous falsetto voice of "E MAMA E" fame who was living in Hollywood at the time). Dwight and I jammed into the wee hours of the hot FL evenings. I taped some of it which turned out good. Dwight and I continued our friendship for a few more years, then nothing. I later found out he just gave up playing in frustration, mostly because he couldn't find decent backup (rhythm) players for Hawaiian music. He played a Rickenbacker bakelite which had a chunk broken from the main body. The tone was never affected of course. Dwight just quit 'cold turkey' and sold everything. He hated Tahitian 'tin-can' stuff, (as he called it) which is very plentiful in the Hollywood-Miami area). He has a son who is/(was) a helicopter pilot also an avid fisherman. From what I have learned, Dwight chucked everything to go fishing...but where is he today ? I wish I knew !

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 28 July 2004 at 09:41 AM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 9:41 am    

Well, whadda ya gonna do . .
At least I have my Cindy Cashdollar and Herb Remington instructional videos to keep me company!

------------------
Rick Alexander

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 9:56 am    

Rick Aiello said:

quote:
I miss downtown Hollywood ... Shuckums, Try My Thai, ... then up to Ft Laud to the ultimate ... The Mai Kai.
I remember way, way back ... a Hula Girl would serve the "Mystery Drink" ...
Topless ...

Rick (either Rick, actually!) -- Are either of you a fan of Tiki Retro-Polynesian culture? The BIG annual Tiki event on the east coast is coming up in September at The Mai Kai. The event is called The Hukilau, and you can check it out at http://www.thehukilau.com. This is the third annual, and this one's going to be WAY COOL!

My hapa-haole Hawaiian trio, Haole Kats, wanted to be on this year's bill, but we formed that trio too late, and just weren't ready in time. We just played a big Tiki night up at Trader Vic's in Atlanta, GA. Way too much fun (and hula girls)!

And by the way, Keoki, you're right about Dick Sanft. Dick is THE man. He has such a wonderful feel and touch, and likes to add a bit of jazz flavor and swing to his playing. I was jamming with him yesterday, and it was just too much fun!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, E13); Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 10:49 am    

Todd ... your killin' me .

I just "toured" that site and went to the Mai Kai page listed ... All those old pics ...

Gonna have to crack open a bottle of Myers's Rum ... and have a few outta my "Mai Kai" shot glass tonite.

That event looks like its gonna be a blast !!!

Oh ... I also saw the "Mai Tiki" link. I usta drive up to Cocoa once a year and treat myself to a new Tiki.

I had about 10 at one time ... now I'm down to just a few ...

------------------

HorseshoeMagnets

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 5:25 pm    

Thanks Todd - I am definitely going to check that out! Where is Safety Harbor?
Rick - you should come down for a visit! I have a good buddy who owns a motel & tiki bar right on the beach in Hollywood. I can get you a heck of a deal on a room or suite(especially in September)! In my opinion, September is the best month here anyway - kids in school, not yet tourist season, weather perfect, beach often deserted . . . .

------------------
Rick Alexander

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 12:29 pm    

I knew Dwight back in the late 70's when he lived in the Dearborn Michigan area. He came to my apartment and played some steel (E13 tuning I think?) I recorded much of it on my Teac 4 track. I'll have to get that out and give it a listen.

I went to see Dwight play once. He was playing a Hawaiian Night at a disco. He sounded great but it was a strange gig. I bought his couch and chair before he moved to Florida. He was a great talent and a very nice man.

Russ

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 1:31 pm    

I tried Information for Dwight's number, but it's unlisted. Too bad, because since he lives in Hollywood, he can't be too far away . .

I'm going to try to find his address by other means . .

Rick Alexander
Big Steel

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 4:26 pm    

This is what comes up on Yahoo. Might give them a try?

Dwight R Harris
21810 Southern Hills Dr
Estero, FL (239) 949-6450

Dwight L Harris 1073 Club House Blvd
New Smyrna Beach, FL (386) 426-6937

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 5:38 pm    

My grandparents lived in Hollywood, Fl.

they're dead though, does that count?

[This message was edited by HowardR on 05 March 2005 at 05:40 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 7:21 pm    

Thanx Russ...Hey Rick, would you mind checking those addresses out ? There are no zip codes on them.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 3:41 am    

I'll check them out, but neither one is anywhere near Hollywood. I'll call those numbers . .

Philip Bender

Palmetto FL USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 5:14 am    

Aloha all,
Willis (Bud) Vandenberg called me on Sun, with the news that there was a new Steel Guitar club forming in Bradenton, just across the river from me and invited me to attend. This should complement the established club that meets up at Johnnys Catfish house up at Lake Panasofkee????
To answer your question about steel guitar in Fl, I live in Palmetto, Frank Branderberg lives in Largo, and Ivan Reddington lives in Lakeland. We got together at my place last mo. along with Don Fullmer who was a house guest, and along with our DR-5, entertained the park.
You might like to check out the HSGA web site and click on online music for 3 of the tunes I added.
I will let you know how the meeting goes, and how many new steel players show up.

Aloha nui loa,
Phil

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 6:21 am    

Hey Phil -- when's your next get together? I could bring along my uke and upright bass, if you wanted, too.

I'm up in Safety Harbor (top of the bay).
TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 10:09 am    

Yeah, Rick;
L©©k up that Ivan Reddington rascal! That's where your Pewter Fender T–8 Custom came from. In spite of it all, Ivan is still a great player! (IMHO)

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence