The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S-8 "lite" MP3 posted on web site
jim flynn

Salado,Texas
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2007 7:43 am    

I have had many request for sound clips for the S-"lite" series
guitars. Thanks to songwriter Perry Windecker, with the help of steeler Earl Foote, they have provided this demo track. Hope it answers the questions. Enjoy, Listen at:
www.lonestarsteelguitar.com
go to page one to find mp3 sounds.
Jim Flynn, Lone Star Steel Guitar, Salado, Texas

Rick Batey

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 10:02 am    

Many thanks for the mp3, Jim.

Is that an E-66 pickup on Earl’s S-8? May I ask what tuning Earl chose, and how many pedals and knees?

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 10:31 am     S-6 Lite

Rick thanks for listening. It's actually an S-6 3X4. Jim delivered it with an E-66 pickup installed although after I made that recording I installed a 6 string pickup not unlike what you would see on a Les Paul. It also had a LKV which I have since removed. The setup is just like a standard Emmons E-9th with the 4 big strings removed, so it's all unwound strings. The E raise and lower KLs are on the left. The RKL raises the 1st string a whole step and the RKR lowers the second string a half step. I had a few more pulls that came on the guitar originally but I ended up removing them.

The copedent is probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like it a lot. I listened to my old recordings and noticed that I stayed mostly on the "small strings" so that's how I chose the copedant. I also don't play clubs anymore so I really wasn't too concerned about having all the pulls that are on records these days.

It's a very unusual pedal steel and well built. I'm having a blast with it. Jim can build them with any copedant you want and with different pickup configurations.

I'll post some photos in the next day or two.

jim flynn

Salado,Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 5:22 pm     S-6 light

Thanks Rick and especially Earl. Now we need to get Earl to post
another MP3 w/ the 6 string pick pick/up. My personal guitar has two Fender Custom shop"Texas Special" pick-ups with a switch for either, has a great sound, I'm am not able to record it easily but hope to in the near future.
I did miss post it as a S-8 but that does'nt really matter.
I hope Earl can post more sounds, he's a great player, and a nice guy.

Rick Batey

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2007 9:44 am    

Appreciate hearing about your tuning, Earl, and I enjoyed your playing. I'm looking forward to some pictures, if you can manage it.

Jim, it’s interesting that you personally like the Fender Texas Specials. I find them a touch dark on regular Teles and the like, but of course it’s a different instrument. The big advantage of Fender-type pickups in the context of the S-6 Lite has to be easy changeability, from vintage single-coils to stacked or narrow side-by-side humbuckers. Incidentally, I wonder how well a Stringmaster pickup blend pot would work?

(Jim already knows that I’m currently a bit obsessed by the concept of a six-string pedal steel, but if I may, I’ll add two links on the subject for anyone who might drop in: a heated but enlightening SGF thread from a little while ago, and of course a link to b0b’s ‘pedalcaster’ copedents.)