The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ben Harper Limited Edition vs. Electro Hawaiian
Justin Gass

West Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 3:56 pm    

I noticed that a Ben Harper Limited Edition lap steel (from Bill Asher) is up on Ebay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7306954191&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Can someone tell me how the tone of this guitar differs from the "Electro Hawaiian" featured on the Asher guitars website (of course, with respect to the pickups in each one, "crunchy stuff" vs. acoustics). Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your help.

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 4:46 pm    

I own a custom "Electro Hawaiian" but it has Asher's old P-90 pickups (like the one on eBay), so since I've never played a 'Ben Harper' model or his new models I can only guess. The pickups on the eBay guitar may also have been special wound to Greg Leisz's specification, just like mine was special wound to the previous owners specs, so it's all just a shot in the dark..

The P-90s in mine have a pretty weak output, about the same as the single-coils in my Telecaster, while his new models have full sized humbuckers so I would imagine they are quite a bit more powerful.
Personally I would prefer the P-90s over the full humbuckers, but that's only based on my general experience and preferences since I haven't heard the ones in his new models. But I've always found single coils to have a more open and airy sound, which I prefer, compared to the more compact sound of a humbucker.

Have you contacted the seller? It's his wife Jessica who is the seller, Greg Leisz traded it for an updated model, so she can provide you with firsthand information on this. They're both great people to deal with, so you can trust the answer you get.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 7:33 pm    

I wasn't aware that Asher changed their pickups. I have a Ben Harper, serial #53. As far as I know, all the pickups were humbuckers and mine are visably identical to Leisz's #30. The guitar came with a series/humbucking mini-toggle that operated on both pickups, a volume control, 3-way pickup selector switch, and no tone control. I have since modified removed the 3-way selector for a "pan" pot (like Fender's blend knob on the Stringmaster" and have separate 3 way mini-toggles on each pickup for series/parallel/humbucking. These mods give me a wide range of tones. Mine does not have a piezo under the saddle pickup (that was also not standard on the Ben Harper model).

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 8:13 pm    

I have a Ben Harper model, it has P-90 style single coils. I believe these were built for Asher by Anderson. I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pickup with a Supro or Supro style pickup (just doesn't have the bite of my English Electronics, so it gets left at home more often than not).

------------------
www.tyack.com

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 5:22 am    

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Asher changed their pickups.

Bill, all his new models have standard 'double' humbuckers, including the "Electro Hawaiian".
He has plans to develop what he calls "the ultimate lapsteel pickup" together with Ben Harper's guitar tech and Seymour Duncan. Could be interesting...

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 7:03 am    

Hmmm...mine are built by Anderson also and I'd guess they are the same as the ones in Dan's and Greg Leisz's upon further reflection. They sound good (but don't sound like a Supro!). Don't know how well a Supro would fit on that body (or look) but I bet Lollar's got something that would sound good in that vein, since I know that Harmos's "American" model uses a Lollar pickup and is designed to sound like a Supro.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 8:01 am    

Quote:
but I bet Lollar's got something that would sound good in that vein, since I know that Harmos's "American" model uses a Lollar pickup and is designed to sound like a Supro.

That would be his "Chicago Steel" pickup ...

Quote:
"the ultimate lapsteel pickup"

That arrived in yesterday's mail ...

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 8:03 am    

Do tell Rick...

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 8:53 am    

Quote:
That arrived in yesterday's mail ...

Yup, I got those. They looked, eh, powerful...

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com