The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jules Ah See's Magnatone Triple Eight ?
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 8:46 pm    

Is this a similar guitar to the one he played ? ........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3781964534

Baz

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 9:08 pm    

I'm not sure about that Baz, but considering the way it was listed it looks like you'll probably get it. Unless some hotshot sees this thread and snipes it at the last minute . .

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 9:12 pm    

Baz...to the best of my knowledge, Jules Ah See did not play a triple 8, but a double 8 Magnatone. That guitar is now a keepsake of Alan Akaka, whom I am sure still has it. The case has Jules name boldly printed upon it. Alan played the Magnatone quite a bit in his early days about 20 years,(or less) ago. If I am correct, Magnatone back in the days of HAWAI'I CALLS gave their guitars to the steel players on that show in exchange for the statement by Webley, "Waves and the Magnatone steel guitar of ________" (the last being Alvin Kalanikau (Isaacs)...better known as Barney Isaacs). Barney was still playing his old double neck Magnatone until about 5 years prior to his passing.

FYI: Back in the late forties, early fifties, I actually owned a 4 neck model identical to the three neck shown on eBay. Stupidly, I sold it due to its' heavy weight ! I wish now I had kept it if only as a momento.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 16 February 2005 at 09:13 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 9:16 pm    

Well Rick, I thought it was an interesting item...looks identical to the one that Jules is pictured with in the "Hawaii Calls" photos...I figure Jeff Au Hoy would probably know..If he's lurking ?
Baz

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 9:18 pm    

Thanks George .. I was hoping the it would have the "Hawai'i Calls" era sound !!!
Baz

[This message was edited by basilh on 16 February 2005 at 09:20 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 10:08 pm    

Personally, I loved the sound of my old MAGNATONE...many steel players would disagree. Barney had a distinctive tone on his MAGNATONE as did Jules. My 4 neck MAGNATONE, as I previously mentioned, was a heavy critter especially when you included the case and 4 chrome legs. Like the one shown on eBay, MAGNATONES appeared as though they were built as individual single neck models and they just kept attaching one neck to another depending on how many necks you desired...at least, that's the way they struck me. Each neck was a complete guitar with its' own volume and tone control and duo pickups which by FENDER standards, (or most any other name brand) was somewhat unusual.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 10:13 pm    

Well George.. now I've got it I should start planning what tunings to use..maybe B11 - E13 - C6..
What do you think ?
Which one on which neck ?

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 10:19 pm    

Congratulations Baz! It looks like a goodie.

[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 17 February 2005 at 02:56 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 10:44 pm    

BAZ...those are the tunings I use on my triple FENDER. However, instead of C6th, I tune it half tone lower to B6th. This puts the C position on the first fret. Songs like "Steelin' the Blues" end up in the key of Db when the C6th tuning is used, whereas with B6th, you are in the key of C...ever had a problem with a rhythm man who cannot play in Db ? I have ! I have E9th as my closest, and preferred neck with B6th in the middle and B11th on the far neck.

Just in passing, some might say that Barney didn't always play a MAGNATONE on "Hawai'i Calls", and they would be correct. I have a pic of him playing a triple STRINGMASTER along side of Danny Stewart who was also playing the identical guitar. I have never seen Barney playing a FENDER in person, (except a borrowed one at the Winchester AISGC convention), however I certainly saw him playing the old MAGNATONE on Hawai'i Calls and on gigs at the Halekulani, et al, many times.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 12:20 am    

Man, what a nice deal, you should love this baby.
Ane even more so if it is a historically interesting piece too.

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 4:15 am    

Baz, I saw Jules several timesin Hawaii and he always played the dbl neck Mag. I have pictures of him setting behind a multichord with a band but These may be a publicity shot as is one of Herb Remington on an early Hilltop album behind a fender 800 which Herby never played. CC

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 6:37 am    

Great guitar Basilh
I have one just like it. Mine is a 1955.
The model is "Maestro"
I have mine tuned A6/C6/E13 near to far.
Be forwarned-56 lbs in the case!

Jay
PS You can click the link in my signature below to see a picture of it.
------------------

J.L. Fagerlie
- email: jayster@scaryoak.com - website -
1980's Dekley SD12 Ext. E9th,
1963 Fender 1000, 1955 Magnatone Maestro T-8, 1947 National Grand Console D-8 ,1948 Gibson BR-9,‘60’s Melobar Acoustic

[This message was edited by Jay Fagerlie on 17 February 2005 at 06:39 AM.]

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 12:59 pm    

Alan indeed owns one of Jules' Magnatone steels (given to him by Benny Kalama, Mr. Hawaiian music), of which Jules had over time at least 3, and some times all on stage together with him, his all-star bandmates and the great Alfred Apaka.

Ever see him on one of those nites CC?
I feel fortunate to have seen at least a picture of that.

The Jules/Mag Alan has is the same late '50s, but dbl. neck version (Lyric?) of what Baz has his sights on, and sounds fine in his hands.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 1:12 pm    

You've done well, Baz! That's a whole bunch of guitar for six hundred bucks. Coincidentally, the same instrument was in a Toronto music store recently, the first I've seen in several years. These instruments are underappreciated and undervalued simply because most people never have the chance to play one. Those twin Magnatone pickups have a very distinctive tone, and the overall playability of the instrument is excellent. You'll have a great time with this one - money well spent!

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 17 February 2005 at 01:13 PM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 1:12 pm    

I wonder if this is the same one that has been in Trade Up Music here in Portland for a while? (I see the seller was from Portland).
I put the same model axe through it's paces with a matching Magnatone amp at that store a few weeks ago.
They had it listed at $650.
Nice Axe!!! (I can see if it's still there if anyone is interested).
Alas, it wasn't on my "must have" radar.

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 1:59 pm    

Ron, I know I saw him twice w/Apaka but I can't remember where. CC

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 4:04 pm    

The way I approached this purchase was a Little mercenary..I figured that the 24 Kluson De-luxe with nickle buttons, four adjustable legs and sockets, six eight string pick-ups and the rest of the guitar , were worth that money, just as parts...Not for one moment am I suggesting that I break it up, but that's how I calculated the value...I quite surprised that I won it so easily.. especially as I spotlighted it BEFORE the auction was over..!!
I'm going to get the guitar re-finished -professionally here in the UK..BTW the Carriage is $96..
And then there's duty and the dreaded VAT..
The UK customs charge VAT AFTER the carriage is added to the total ...So the carriage is really about $115..

All I need now is for someone to let me know where to get a FSK at a "Nice" price !!

[This message was edited by basilh on 17 February 2005 at 04:05 PM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2005 8:37 pm    

Hi Baz,

The model you bought is the exact model I recently purchased from forumite Michael Lee Allen in Illinois (fantastic musician with a wealth of knowledge). I'm indebted to Mary and Bill Creller who drove me what seemed like 200 miles just to pick it up during the HSGA convention.

The instrument has awesome tone for the Hawaiian stuff I like to do. You can definitely get the Jules Ah See Hawaiian Village Serenaders radio transcription sound. Ear splitting highs if you like... muddy warmth too if you prefer. The long scale feels like a grand piano.

It has a different control setup though... no separate blend control on the pickups like the Stringmaster. However, the tone knob has a double function... it tapers highs and the neck pickup.

The case (I have the same one also) is next to worthless. The handle is likely to rip right off. If that doesn't happen, the guitar is likely to burst thru the bottom.

(notice he's got 2 doubleneck Magnatones up there on stage... I'm sure one of them must've been tuned C6/A7 )

[This message was edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 18 February 2005 at 01:31 AM.]

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 10:15 am    

Very interesting, looks almost like three single eight string steels screwed to a mahogany board with cutouts for each steel. Is it really made that way or is it just that it seems that way in the pictures?

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 10:39 am    

Michael Lee Allen ... thats where you went that day ...

What a cool guy ... I got a Frypan Stand from him ... just like the one Billy Hew Len had ...

And he then proceeded to ship me three boxes full of vintage Hawaiian records.

Sorry ... to get back on topic ... here's mine

Bought it in Lake Worth, FL ... in 1989 ... $125

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 11:14 am    

I think he played a Magnatone on this tune... http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/julesand.mp3

This is him DEFINITELY on a Magnatone LIVE at the Tapa Room..(Beware, this file is quite large,(30Mb) so "right click save as", would be the best way.. http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/taparoomlive.mp3

Who is this player ?
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/pualive1973.mp3
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/hoehoe.mp3
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/multimedia/mp3/juleslive/chickadee.mp3

I just included them for the Steel Enthusiasts Pleasure...

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 12:05 pm    

WoW Baz!

Thanks for the Tapa Room Live mp3. What a party! Listen to all those styles played incredibly well!

What was the tune Pua Almeida was playing on the PuaLive mp3? Any idea on his tuning on that one?

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 12:44 pm    

Hi Ger.. glad you like the stuff..The tune Pua Almeida is playing is called Anytime, Anywhere, from a "Live" 1973 Steel Guitar Concert..

Chickadee has Pua singing, Billy Hew Len playing back-up steel and then... Pua takes off with a sizzling steel solo. This is from a Waikiki LP

Hoe Hoe is Pua talking a dedication to his friend in Japan Mishima Toshio, then singing and playing..From a Japanese LP..

Pua's playing at the LIVE concert has shades of Speedy West, Murphy, Alvino, and some very original single string solo work..
A VERY underrated Player..

[This message was edited by basilh on 18 February 2005 at 12:46 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 1:27 pm    

FYI: Pua died in 1973 probably shortly after this recording was made. Such a sad loss. Not only was he a great (and as Baz mentioned "under-rated) steel player, he had a beautiful voice with the relaxed phrasing I would compare with
Alfred Apaka "anytime, anywhere" ! I don't know which steel he is playing here, all I know is when I first met him in 1970 while he was playing at the MOANA Banyan Courtyard with his 5 piece group, he was playing two single neck Ric frypans built into a regular case with chrome legs attached.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 18 February 2005 at 01:29 PM.]

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2005 2:01 pm    

Holy garbanzo beans that Pua stuff sure is glitzy. What a bunch of jazzophiles. If that doesn't sound like a Las Vegas Hawaiian floor show, Idunno what does. A treat to hear, thanks Baz.

By the way, I don't think you could get away singing anywhere in Hawai'i nowadays like Pua did without getting a tomato thrown at you. I guess the transformation of "Danke Schoen" into "Dankah Shayne" can be done in Hawaiian as well. There's always been some classy thing about anglocizing "foreign" words.