The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kaspy's- stay going, going, ...gone
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 3:22 pm    

Good Hawaiian steel/music looses another venue.

It was good while it lasted.

Aloha Kaspy's, you tried!

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 5:55 pm    

Sorry to hear that Ron. Did they drop music entirely or have they gone the Karaoke/Jawaiian route?

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 7:38 pm    

Ron, it is sad, sad, sad.

What is your take on what happened to Kaspy’s and what’s happening in general to these smaller places where traditional Hawaiian music has been playing?

I realize that there will always be a group of persons who will be interested in good traditional Hawaiian music, but are the local people in general gradually losing interest in their own music and heritage? When I left Hawaii in 1974 for the Mainland, there was plenty of interest. I do not have a feel for what is taking place now.

It really was starting to look up somewhat in the 1990’s even featuring more steel guitar playing and then it seems now to be going downhill some. Is that your take?

Even the airlines have gotten into this downgrading and have taken off the taped Hawaiian music from their selections and replaced it with “duh-duh.” This has been going on for some years. It used to be that one could enjoy good Hawaiian music on flights to and from the Mainland, but it’s gone for now. I make a complaint every time I fly to and from Hawaii.

I complain also when a hotel doesn’t feature good traditional Hawaiian music.

I will not give up, until it changes.

Aloha,
Don

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 8:05 pm    

The doors are closed for good on this one, no mo nuttin. They didn't get enuf of a crowd to pay the rent, which is really scary for those of us who live/long for such places, because this was the real thing, and no one came. Classic/old Hawaiian music is just not on the night crowds radar anymore. The good old day's are fading fast, I'm afraid.

Musical appathy has overwhelmed many of our lives to the point were music doesn't matter much now. The emergence of the new radio station may re-generate interest, but as usual, it's an uphill battle to keep a focus on the music we love.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 8:42 pm    

TV, the Internet, video games and movie rentals are killing live performance everywhere. This is an epidemic in dance and live theatre as well.

People would rather sit home in their underwear, eat chips and play video games than participate in the real world with real people.

They even sell home Karaoke machines so you don't have to get up in front of people.

------------------
Gerald Ross

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 07 February 2005 at 08:45 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2005 10:31 pm    

You know, (and this may sound corny), there was a time when the airlines leaving for Hawai'i would hire my 3 piece group to play Hawaiian music right on the taramac where the passengers boarded the aircraft ! (They would run a long extension cord out to where the plane was being boarded).

Also, (and this is a bit of the nostalgia in me coming out), air hostesses once airborne would change to muu muu's and Hawaiian music could be heard on one of the channels all the way to the Islands.

I can even recall one year as we taxied into the HNL gate, I heard a "familiar" recording being played in the (Canadian)aircraft...it was me on steel! Unreal.

Sorry to hear about Kaspy's downfall. I'm sure if you were to ask the average tourist what they like about Hawai'i, you'll hear raves about the surf, golfing, fishing, the sunshine, or most probably HARD ROCK CAFE, but none, with the possible exception of us Hawaiian Steel Guitar "nuts" will ever mention or care about Hawai'i's Music or even try to seek out places where it can be heard. So it really comes as no surprise to me hearing of the demise of Kaspy's.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 6:08 am    

Quote:
People would rather sit home in their underwear

Wow! People really wear underwear when they sit around at home?

"I did not know that"

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 6:16 am    

Could someone please explain the appeal of the HARD ROCK CAFE? To me it's just a McDonalds with beer and loud music. Ooops, sorry... I forgot, they have a guitar that Hendrix allegedly used and some Jim Morrison cigarette butts behind plexiglass. Wow!! get a picture of me standing in front of that!

Is there really any difference between a Hard Rock Cafe in Paris and one in Ames, Iowa?

Why would people travel 5000 miles and spend money at a cookie cutter place like that?

Why do people eat at Wendy's when they are in Rome?

------------------
Gerald Ross

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 08 February 2005 at 08:11 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 7:59 am    

Gerald, believe it or not, I have spoken with younger generation vacationers whose hilite of Hawai'i was the HARD ROCK CAFE ! You'll notice I mentioned the "younger generation"...as an olde phart, I have never been so inclined and have little intention of doing so. We have a HARD ROCK CAFE not far from where I live...like you, I cannot understand the attraction of traveling all the way to Hawai'i when the same thing is almost next door.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 08 February 2005 at 10:25 PM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 9:33 am    

Quote:
Why would people travel 5000 miles and spend money at a cookie cutter place like that?

because they don't know any better.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 11:11 am    

[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 08 February 2005 at 11:14 AM.]

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 3:27 pm    

What Howard said.
I like some rock music too, but I sure as hell wouldn't waste my Hawaii time with it, when it can be heard anywhere.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 5:58 pm    

As you can see, not one of the most desirable places to hanging out, especially at night. Probably the reason for it's quick demise.

[This message was edited by Derrick Mau on 28 February 2005 at 03:24 AM.]

[This message was edited by Derrick Mau on 07 March 2005 at 01:46 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 11:03 pm    

Just on another subject...a friend returned from 3 weeks in Hawai'i. "How did you like it?" I asked. He replied, "I was very disappointed...no Hawaiian music to be heard!" Obviously he didn't know where to find it. He went on to say that he heard Jamaican style everywhere, (we know it as "Jawaiian"). I wonder if Hawaiian music can be heard in Jamaica ? Personally, I dislike "Jawaiian"...it is certainly not the kind of music us mainlanders expect to hear in the Islands! Your thoughts ?

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 12:11 am    

Quote:
I wonder if Hawaiian music can be heard in Jamaica?

Hmm... that sounds like a Byrdism.

I wonder if Hawaiian music can be heard in New Orleans, Chicago, or New York City too? I wonder if Bluegrass dobro can be heard in Laie, Hawai'i?