The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What to do for rhythm guitar??
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 8:04 pm    

Well, my friend and I love Hawaiian music and have been asked to play background music at a local restaurant, but there's only two of us...he plays bass and I'm on steel. He has a drum machine which helps, but there's still something missing...that great rhythm guitar (or uke even). Any ideas on what we can do until we find someone? The key is probably to find someone who is as enthusiastic about Hawaiian music as we are, which doesn't seem to be an easy task. Most guitar players seem to only want to play rock. Are there any rhythm track CD's out there that would be okay to use for public peformances until we can find a guitar player?

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 8:44 pm    

I bet you could find a uke/ guitar player over at Flea Market Music. Try putting up your wants: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/default.asp

Good luck!

[This message was edited by Dan Sawyer on 05 March 2005 at 08:45 PM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2005 11:00 pm    

I get great pleasure out of playing/hearing a Baritone-Uke, but; I'm afraid coming to Fla. is a little out of the question!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 12:56 am    

I think Herby Wallace still offers a cassette tape with 10 Hawaiian rhythm tracks for about $14 click here then scroll down almost to the bottom of the page till you see Herby Wallace.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T8, Carter D-10, 54' Fender Champion, two Oahu laps, two National laps, and two Resonators

Rockne Riddlebarger

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 4:07 am    

Hey Jeff! Try taping into the local bluegrass scene for guitarists or even a mandolin player to help you. Bluegrass is a dead knock-off of Hawaiian music only played faster.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 5:27 am    

This might do the trick. A bass line is already provided on each track though. Download the sample mp3 and see if it fits your needs.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~gbross/hawnad.html

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 6:50 am    

Quote:
The key is probably to find someone who is as enthusiastic about Hawaiian music as we are, which doesn't seem to be an easy task.

Hey Jeff -- you're absolutely right - it's not an easy task to find like-minded folks in this respect. Want to relocate to the Tampa/Clearwater area? I have a trio called Wholly Cats!!! that has an alter ego Hawaiian incarnation called Haole Kats!!!

When we're being Haole Kats!!!, I play steel, my guitarist is playing my URB, and our drummer is on GCEA 'ukulele. When we do tunes that do not have steel in them, my drummer plays DGBE baritone uke, my guitarist jumps on GCEA tenor, and I play the URB.

It's all good, and is a lot of fun, BUT, what we'd really love, is either a dedicated URB or STEEL player. Then, I could play one or the other, and we could have bari uke, tenor uke, URB and steel. Or even better, archtop, soprano, URB and steel.

Jacksonville's not too far to commute, is it?

TJW www.whollycatsband.com

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 7:08 am    

Quote:
Bluegrass is a dead knock-off of Hawaiian music only played faster.

Rockne, I think that's kind of true, except I think, aside from the 'ukulele instead of mandolin, and the tempo difference, bluegrass has a much stronger accent on the backbeat, whereas old-time Hawaiian to me has more of that early 20th century jazz "four-on-the-floor" thing going on. Not so much of the "one AND two AND three AND..."

But I hear what you mean. Kind of a softer, gentler bluegrass!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 9:21 am    

Todd,
What is an URB?

Jay

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 9:37 am    

Quote:
Try taping into the local bluegrass scene for guitarists or even a mandolin player to help you

I live in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley ... "Bluegrass Central" ... and I haven't been able to coax a single guy to play more than one or two songs ... in the 5 yrs I've lived here.

And that was like "pullin' teeth" ... and that was kinda a concession because I "cave in" and only bring my Dobro to these get-togethers ...

I brought my '27 Tricone to a couple different "jams" ... and these old timers looked at it and said ...

Quote:
That some kinda new fangled dobro ???

These guys literally "smoke" the strings off their instruments ... and I sit back in "awe" at their musicianship ... but they have no interest in anything non-bluegrass ...

I'm sure thats not characteristic of bluegrass folks in general ... but 'round here ... I haven't been able to find a rhythm guitarist or bass player that wanted to play as slow as I do.

I have managed to turn one mandolin playin' friend of mine "onto Hawaiian music" ... but that was Slack Key ... Ledward Kaapana.

So it's still BIAB ... and a few Rhythm tracks that Mike Neer recorded for me ...

He's doin' up some more too ... on that beautiful Epiphone of his ...

He plays a mean Tricone with the Moonlighters ... but I betcha between him and Gerald Ross ...

Jeff Au Hoy would have trouble finding better Rhythm guitarists ... anywhere

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 9:48 am    

Hey Jeff...Just e-mail me a return flt. ticket (cost about $800.00 thereabouts), and I'll be more than happy to back you on r/guitar...(or bass or ukulele, whatever!) Should be a fun gig !

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 3:04 pm    

Hi Jeff, My cousin has played professionally as a one man band for 25 years at the International Market Place in Waikiki. He uses a workstation to lay down all of the tracks of the other instruments such as bass, piano,guitar,ukulele, drums, and even orchestra. The finalized tracks are then saved onto a floppy disk. The floppy is then loaded into a sequencer which plays back the recorded backround tracks. It's a lot of work to figure out how to do it but once you know how, you really don't need other musicians.

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 7:45 pm    

Jay - Up Right Bass.

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 9:29 pm    

Thanks everyone for your input. Keoki I bought a lottery ticket for this week...if I win I'm gonna take you up on that offer!

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2005 10:49 pm    

You're on Jeff...Hope you win ! I have a good friend by the name of Billy Reid jr who lives in Burlington, ON. He has worked very hard on "Band in the Box", obtained all the latest programs, and honestly, when you hear the stuff he is churning out for his "one-man" act, you'd be amazed ! The r/guitar has a very natural sound as do all the other instruments he has programmed into his tracs. As mentioned above, it's a helluva lot of work, but in the end, it just might be worth the effort. Me? It's all I can do just to turn this friggin' computer "on" !