The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  My Friend Gene Jones
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 7:18 pm    

If you look at Bill McCloskeys thread in no
peddlers, you will read a post by my friend Gene Jones. The thread was closed obviously as it was getting out of hand.

For those of you who are not familiar with Gene's backround as a musician, you are not aware of what Gene has acomplished all those years back then with groups and his playing steel with Conway Twitty.He was and is a great steel player.He doesnt need to take the baloney he has.

It irks me to see a man of his class have to post something to explain his feelings and see no one post a reply regarding the ignorance of some of the members of this forum which is common place here.

Gene is by far the epitome of class and for Gene to return to post what he did at a time when he no longer gets invloved with the know it all's and those who have not learned the meaning of respect for one another its pretty bad.

Gene has many roads he has traveled the music business when it was just that and not what it is today. He can be proud of what he has done over the years and for what its worth I am proud to call Gene Jones my friend.

The nitty gritty things that I read on some of these self absorbed ego maniacs posts makes me ashamed to be a part of this forum.

The word respect and consideration seems to be lost with those few on this forum and the closest thing I can think of is that its like a gang bang and not thinking of what is said and just blowing hot air with no regard or respect for one another.

I am sorry Gene chose not to post any longer and if it were not for the fact that since I am alone since my wife passed I have nothing else to do but look in on the Forum hoping to see humor and people helping one another and not the ignorance displayed on here.

If it were different for me at this time I would follow Gene and stay off this street fight. Get wise my friends and take a little time to read Gene's comments on Bill
McCloskeys thread.Gene hit the right chord with his comments.

If those who control this Forum wish to lock this they are welcome but not before I speak my piece.

Gene is my friend and I am dammed proud he is. If I have no other choice I will get off this rat race as well. I have done so before and come back,but if what I see continues you can have my password and whistle Johnny Paychecks tune while you work. To those who fit the description outlined in my comments above, take the time and show some respect if not for the other person but for your own. It may do you some good.They used to refer to it as
self respect..get yourselves some.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 01 March 2005 at 07:42 PM.]

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 7:39 pm    

I know I'm new here.

But sometimes I wish we could jetisson our little corner of the world off somewhere.

I've been previlaged to know some greats in the music world. I took lessons from Dave Van Ronk, the great fingersytle guitarist. $35 a lesson and after the lesson was over the real sesson started: the stories of his life. He's gone now.

We spin this gossamer of reality around us, those of us who live in the world of art. We throw out our opinions as if they amounted to something. Vanity, all is vanity whispers the void around us.

Thank god we have Jody Carver.

Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 7:55 pm    

Bill, freedom of speech, freedom of travel, freedom to purchase, freedom to protest and freedom to mourn all boil down to one thing; “a delicate balance” of understanding, tolerance and turning the other cheek. There is also another name for it: Democracy. Sometimes democracy is as tough to live within as is a dictatorship.

Hey Jody, thanks tons for being a great moderator.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 8:27 pm    

and let us not forget Freedom of the Seas....

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 10:54 pm    

RESPECT IS WHAT OUR MOMMA'S TRIED TO TEACH US IF WE WERE LISTENING.

IF WE WEREN'T LISTENING TO HER THEN, MAYBE WE SHOULD LISTEN NOW. KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

ALOHA,
DON

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 12:43 am    

Please pardon my ignorance, but is this sort of disrespect going on in No Peddlers? If it is, I'm completely oblivious.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 2:27 am    

What Kona said.

I have been missing Gene's posts,
and yes as Jody said, he is a class act and a really nice gentleman,
who has earned the right to have a dissenting opinion with out being flamed.

But ya know when Gene does dissent..
he is nice about it.

We should have listened to our mommas more.

Well back out in to the steaming inferno of Chaing Mai Thailand.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 10:13 am    

Jody, thank you for your more than generous comments. I am honored that you are my friend and please accept that I appreciate your words more than you will ever know.

Jody Carver is an ICON of the steel guitar and he is my friend....who could want more than that!

....'til we meet again Jody take care, and in your prayers give my regards to Marilyn!

Your friend Gene, www.genejones.com

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 2:24 pm    

Okay. Sorry, still confused here. I see that no one got a chance to respond to Gene's comments in the other thread. But, really, where is all of this disrespect happening? Please help me so I can identify it and maybe know better for the future.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 3:49 pm    

Gene is a red dirt boogie brother in my book
why he even played w; Jesse Ed Davis (RIP)

Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 4:16 pm    

By the way genejones.com is a fantastic site with some really hot music.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 4:19 pm    

Sorry, folks. I can't see what this has to do with lap steel guitar, so I'm closing it. If you'd prefer it moved to some other section, Jody, please let me know via email.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars