The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emaj lap steel method
Victor Denance

Rennes, France
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 4:06 am    

Hi !
I'm having some fun with an old Champ tuned to E maj.
But the licks I have are very limited.
Do you know of a Emaj method for lap steel, to play blues or rock oriented stuff ?
I can see many C6th or E7th methods but no straight Emaj.

Thanks !!

Vic

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 4:24 am    

Arlen Roth has a lap steel video that's about 60% devoted to E major tuning (40% to open G major). He's not really a steel player; some of his technique is unorthodox but there's still some useful info.
http://www.hotlicks.com/otherreleases2.htm

Anything you can find on the web for open D tuning will of course also work for E tuning by transposing everything up a whole step. This lesson from Kelly Joe Phelps, for example:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/lessons/phelps/1.shtml

Here's an arrangement of Bud's Bounce I worked out in E tuning a few years ago:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/001097.html

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 9:04 am    

Just a word of caution with Arlen Roth's www.hotlicks.com website. I ordered several videos from the Website over a year ago. My credit card was charged and they never showed up. Numerous e-mails went unanswered. No one ever answered the phone or returned phone messages and "customer service" consisted of a phone message for weeks that said "all shipments were suspended until an inventory was completed". This was later followed by their phone being disconnected.
It's too bad as some of their videos are excellent.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 9:25 am    

First of all, I believe Roth suffered a major tragedy. I was told that his wife, who basically ran the business end of things was killed in a tragic car accident and he withdrew from the world right after that. That would explain all those issues.

Second, I have something that you might find helpful. I've been studing a lot of Jazz theory and picked up Volume 2 in the James Aebersold series called "Nothing But Blues". It is a booklet and a play along CD with backup tracks for different blues styles.

I picked it up yesterday and sat down with it and within 2 pages had bulbs going off all over the place. It helped put together a lot of stuff I had been studying. Of all the instrucktion tapes, books, cds' etc that I've picked up over the years, this looks like the best thing I've ever seen. And it is only $15. And their are at least 108 volumes in the series.

the web site listed on the book is www.jazzbooks.com.

Recommended order is Volume 1, 24, 21, 2, 3, etc.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 3:50 pm    

Hi Victor
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum18/HTML/000307.html

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 5:45 pm    

Roth indeed suffured some major life traumas. His friend Danny Gatton committed suicide and not long after, both his wife and teenage daughter will killed in a car accident.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 5:58 pm    

Andy Iona used many variations on the E tuning. I use it quite a bit myself and I've discovered many little hidden secrets within. Don't discount it--depending on what you play and the instruments you play with, it can be a great tuning. I sort of fake rhythm guitar with it quite a bit with my group--that's why I like the bottom strings tuned that way.

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 7:50 pm    

Learn your basics and they'll translate to any tuning. Once you know your theory, you'll find all the things you need--slants for example--by yourself, and you'll be able to crack any tuning with which you find yourself confronted.

If you have examples of the kind of thing you'd like to be able to play, try to copy them--if you get stuck or don't know where to start, someone here will surely be able to help you. If you want listening suggestions, post some examples of the kind of things you like, and I or anybody else who wants to can offer pointers to related material that you might consider learning.

Copying from your heroes is the best way to learn.

-Travis

Bill Blacklock

Powell River, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 10:05 pm    

E major is a great tuning. It goes well with minor swing, rock and even Latin styles of music. Check out a couple of Jerry Douglas E major lap steels tunes on his CD "Restless on the farm". For slants see "Cord House / advanced guitar", they have fret board lay outs that will show you were to find your minors and 6th's and so on.

Bill Blacklock

Powell River, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2005 12:27 pm    

Jan Dunn,
I hope this helps you.

The "D" tuning is the same shape as your
"E". The shape also works well in "G" and "A" (baritone 30" scale) "C" (26" scale)
"D" (25" scale). If you click dispay intervals it will show you were to pickup slant for minors and 6ths and so on.

I tend to play alot in melodic minors (decending) but I have no idea why?
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html