The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Jerry Byrd Frypan
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 6:04 pm    

Does anyone know if the Sho-Bud Jerry Byrd Frypan issue ever got resolved? Jerry's brother Jack Byrd stated in 2002, there were only 99 official long scale and 84 short scale Frypans built by Sho-Bud that were authorized by Jerry and which he received royalties for.

I guess what I was wondering, is if there are non official Frypans out there built by Sho-Bud? And, if these are quality instruments?

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 6:32 pm     Sho-Bud "NOT" Jerry Byrd Fry Pans !! ??

A while after I bought my J B Sho_Bud Fry Pan # B 71 for $500.00 I saw an ad in some guitar magazine for new Fry Pans from Nashville for $350.00 and they looked just like mine except the pickup was not the horseshoe but some flat one and it probably sounded just as good !! ?? I guess there may be a few others out there somewhere !! I don't recall the sellers or guitar name !!?? But I do love the sound of my J B F P !!

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 8:58 pm    

I believe Bobby Ingano has one of those, I know it's not the Excell. I'l have to ask him what the serial no is. I built a horseshoe pickup for him to put in it. The magnets in his were not real, and it had a conventional type pickup built by Shot Jackson with phony magnets. Excels are built that way also.
Regards BILL

Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 8:06 am    

If you will do a search on my name you will find the complete story on the Sho-Bud JB frypans as told to me by Jerry. There are unauthorized and un-certified JBFP made by Sho-Bud out there. They had forged certificates when sold and Jerry did not receive any re-imbursement for them for the use of his name.

This is not the same with the JB Excel FP. They are all legal and fine guitars. From what Jerry has told me they are excellent quality and meet his strict standards. He was very happy with them in all respects.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 8:41 am    

Deleted.

Last edited by Jody Carver on 22 Sep 2010 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 8:50 am    

Jack,

Thank you for this information. It is very important to many of us.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 11:15 am    

Seems I recall 250 "authorized" short and long neck models (each) were planned for production, after which, Shot was to destroy the moulds. (I have JB #032 shortneck). Shot apparently must have seen a good thing and kept on making more frypans using the SHO-BUD name long after the JB's productions were made and sold.(I don't know if Shot ever produced the agreed 250 of each model...probably not)..I have the 10 string SHO-BUD model. The "magnet" on the JB's were only decorations as everyone is aware by now. Jerry mentioned to me the reason, being a patent infringement. An early prototype JB ended up in the hands of (the late) Sonny Nicholas in Mau'i...(Jerry gave it to him). This earlier guitar did not have the decorative "magnet". The SHO-BUD productions (after the JB), did not have the "magnets" either. I do think my 10 string has an improved p/u to the JB series, however that's only my opinion of course. The SHO-BUD series definitely had far superior tuning gears than my JB 032. Problem with the 10 string model, Shot kept on using the 8 string mould ! This placed both the 1st and 10th strings in outer space as it were...(not over the fret board). As for whatever financial arrangement JB had with Shot, I haven't a clue. I do recall JB being very upset and annoyed with Shot for not fullfilling his part of the deal by not destroying those moulds. (FWIW).

Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 11:23 am    

The information below is from Jack Byrd as told to him by his brother, Jerry Byrd. Any numbers above what is mentioned then would be unauthorized by Jerry Byrd.

"In the A series (long scale) the highest number is A099. In the B series (short scale) the highest number is B084. Since Jerry sold most of the guitars through mail order and his listing as far as he is concerned is the official list. The last entry on the sheet of B series serial numbers in Jerry’s own handwriting and dated November 11, 1984, is the comment “No royalty paid from Nos. 078 thru 084”. Also those of you who think you have a guitar within the limited edition with a serial number higher than those previously mentioned above do not have a certified authentic limited edition guitar, and no royalty has been paid on any of these guitars to Jerry."

Bill Creller

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2007 6:10 pm    

The music business seems to be full of people who are a lot less than honest. Some people will do the dammed things just to turn an extra buck Sad

BILL

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 10:02 am     SHOT JACKSON Fry Pan

I happen to have a SHOT JACKSON Sho-Bud, 8-string Fry Pan with Rick appearing pickup. The serial number on the end of the head stock has been sufficiently obliterated so that one cannot determine what serial number it was originally or later.

Still a nice sounding instrument..........with no real history other than it was purportedly presented by Shot to Don Davis as a gift some years ago.

I'm also most happy to now own a 1934-ish, Rickenbacher Fry Pan. Great sound guitar.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2007 3:19 pm     JB's Fry Pan

bump

Hugh Roche

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 9:42 am    

[Seems I recall 250 "authorized" short and long neck models (each) were planned for production, after which, Shot was to destroy the moulds. (I have JB #032 shortneck). Shot apparently must have seen a good thing and kept on making more frypans using the SHO-BUD name long after the JB's productions were made and sold.(I don't know if Shot ever produced the agreed 250 of each model...probably not)..I have the 10 string SHO-BUD model. The "magnet" on the JB's were only decorations as everyone is aware by now. Jerry mentioned to me the reason, being a patent infringement. An early prototype JB ended up in the hands of (the late) Sonny Nicholas in Mau'i...(Jerry gave it to him). This earlier guitar did not have the decorative "magnet". The SHO-BUD productions (after the JB), did not have the "magnets" either. I do think my 10 string has an improved p/u to the JB series, however that's only my opinion of course. The SHO-BUD series definitely had far superior tuning gears than my JB 032. Problem with the 10 string model, Shot kept on using the 8 string mould ! This placed both the 1st and 10th strings in outer space as it were...(not over the fret board). As for whatever financial arrangement JB had with Shot, I haven't a clue. I do recall JB being very upset and annoyed with Shot for not fullfilling his part of the deal by not destroying those [/color]moulds. (FWIW).]

To compliment Mr. lakes posting: In October of 1979 I was in Nashville at Shots shop trying to purchase a gibson from his upstairs collection when he mentioned the new JB Frypan project. Shot spoke highly of Jerry Byrd and took me downstairs to show me the castings and other related parts for the guitars. At that time none of the guitars were assembled and he was a bit disappointed with the quality of the castings (excessive pitting) and commented that they would require alot of polishing. He signed me up to buy long scale #B051 and I paid him 500.00 cash which he put in his pocket. At that time My name was on the last of the list for the B models...#51 and if I recall correctly the A models had been spoken for up to # 55. We discussed some of the vendors supplying the parts: the bodies, finger boards, tuners and so on but I can't recall the names. Perhaps this information would shed more light on what happened. I would suggest that Shot got in a tight and sold the parts how every he could. "Shot" and "Jerry" fingerboards were obviously made by the same vendor.

A "Shot Jackson" 7 string Frypan I purchased recently is obviously a bootleg from the original JB casting, easily recognizable due to the nature of its casting and tuners, which are correct for original late 70's run. This clearly proves that "bootlegging" was occurring not long after project started. The SJ 7 has a prismatone Baldwin pickup which further complicates the story given the success of Shot installing this type pickup in Willie Nelsons guitar around the same time and his relationship the Baldwin Co. One can only wonder if there is a Jerry Byrd casting Fry pan with a Shot Jackson Logo and a Burns Baldwin or perhaps a Gretsch pickup in it?.....................................Where is that Guitar?

One further note: I was told 150 of each scale length would be produced then molds would be destroyed.

Hugh

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 10:02 am    

Hugh Roche wrote:
A "Shot Jackson" 7 string Frypan I purchased recently is obviously a bootleg from the original JB casting, easily recognizable due to the nature of its casting and tuners, which are correct for original late 70's run. This clearly proves that "bootlegging" was occurring not long after project started.
The SJ 7 has a prismatone Baldwin pickup which further complicates the story given the success of Shot installing this type pickup in Willie Nelsons guitar around the same time and his relationship the Baldwin Co.

I was told 150 of each scale length would be produced then molds would be destroyed.
Hugh, I posted about your SJ7 during the bidding, and had the same feelings about the guitar's origin that you state.
How does it sound with the Prismatone PU, can you post a sound clip?

150 of each, then destroyed, is how Jerry always told it.

Hugh Roche

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 11:24 am    

Ron
Have not gotten the guitar yet so don't know how it sounds. i hope it sounds like cindy cashdollar's cover of Killing floor on you tube, almost an accoustic dobro sound,but we will see. i am very interested to see if it has the stereo 3 wire prismatone pickup like willie, jerry reed and glen campbell used. without a doubt a sevenstring prismatone would be a prototype to say the least.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 11:36 am    

Anxious to hear what it sounds like and what you have planned for it considering the vibe you're seeking.
Good luck!

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 12:16 pm     JBFP in 1983

I purchased a J.B.F.P. , long scale , ser. # B071 in 1983 from Sho-Bud , certificate was signed by both Jerry and Shot. I have since sold her !! I wish I had bought the short scale !! I think the short scale plays easier and better !! But it seems they sold both types pretty equally !!! Eddie "C"

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 2:03 pm     Now, now Eddie...............

Until I advertised my Dbl-8 Rick LONG SCALE.........

just about everyone here on the Forum was bragging up the advantages of LONG SCALE over short scale.

What did you find..........as a short-coming, if I may be so bold as to ask?

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 3:18 pm    

Having known and worked for Shot, I have trouble believing he would have broken his word to Jerry.

Shot was scrupulously kind, generous and honest in all his dealings with me.

I sanded the backplates of most of the Frypans when I was at Sho-Bud, but I don't know anything about the business arrangements other than what I've read here on the Forum.

On the other hand, it seems to me that one of the themes of Jerry's book is the number of people he felt had betrayed him.

Just my take...

Andrew

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 4:27 pm     Hey Ray !! re; the long & short of things !!!

Ray , I've owned and played both long scale = 26 in. - old 1954 Stringmaster D-8 and short = 22 1/2 in. on a 1956 Rick. D-8 and after I found out how to do those split string slants and other slants , I have found that the short scale works better for me !! AND Jerry "B" played mostly on the short scale and that was good enough for my judgements !!! Hope things are good for you up in your N.W. corner of this great country !!! Eddie "C"

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 6:37 pm    

Quote:
Having known and worked for Shot, I have trouble believing he would have broken his word to Jerry.

Shot was scrupulously kind, generous and honest in all his dealings with me.

I never met Shot, but I've heard stories about his generosity with musicians in the past.

However... we have two JB Frypans with the SAME serial number, as detailed in another post. One was purchased in 1980 by the owner, and he has the Certificate, dated and signed by both Jerry and Shot. The other Frypan (with the same serial number) has a Certificate signed by Shot ONLY and is dated 2003. That doesn't prove that Shot made and sold additional Frypans beyond the limited run, but it does suggest that the original molds were probably not destroyed and were still around after Sho-Bud went out of business in the mid-1980s.

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 2:51 am    

We'd have to see both serial numbers and instruments to confirm the duplication.

We'd have to see the agreement between Shot and Jerry to comment on whether they complied with it.

If Jerry had a legal issue with Shot, Jerry had every right to resolve it through the legal system. Jerry's issues with Shot could never be resolved here--particularly after Shot's death.

Andrew

Bill Creller

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 7:09 am    

It's ancient history now anyway, and likely will never be totally figured out. Sort of like "who really shot down the Red Baron" Very Happy

Goes to show that the Rick frypan design and shape was copied by quite a few folks over the years (including me Very Happy )
I haven't heard any yet that sounded as good as the original Confused

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 10:05 am    

Quote:
We'd have to see both serial numbers and instruments to confirm the duplication.

Yes, we would have to see both serial numbers. One we saw in the pictures in the eBay auction. The other one (same number) I was told about in a recent email from a gentleman who says he has that Same number on his Frypan, and he bought it new from Sho-Bud in 1980 and he has the paperwork. It is hearsay until we see pictures, if ever. I'm just wondering if the original molds are still out there? Were they ever destroyed?

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 10:10 am     About those photo's.................

Would it be sufficient to see photo's of the MOLDS being recycled in a cutting/mashing machine?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 5:10 pm    

You've seen such photos ? Shocked