The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording made on new ZOOM H4
erik

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 6:12 pm    

Not mine.... this guy loaded a stereo guitar track onto the recorder and overdubbed his harmonica with the built-in mics. You won't be disappointed. http://www.davisbluesproject.com/music/hanginonthecorner.mp3

Here's a link to the device: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901&brandID=4

Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2007 7:39 am    

I just got a Zoom H4 for Xmas, I'm pretty happy with it. My main complaint is that the LCD screen could be bigger. I guess it beats just having a 1 line display (or nothing).

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2007 12:43 pm    

That's some sweet soundin harp.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2007 3:56 pm    

Interesting. But they don't give the price. How much does one cost?

Hal Schmid

Maui and Montana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2007 4:14 pm    

$299

http://www.audiomidi.com/H4-Handy-Recorder-P8589.aspx

There's a link on that page to a table comparing other similar recorders.

erik

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2007 8:44 pm    

I have the old PS-02. I think I'm going to pick up the MRS8. ZOOM makes some very cool and inexpensive portable recording devices.

Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2007 5:45 pm    

More info on the H4 at this forum:
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 1:37 pm    

erik, who are your buddies ? they are really fine..this was a very cool track...

The H 4 is a very fine tool for the money, especially because it records in standard audio formats.

I own and use an Edirol 2 Track Field Recorder ( R-1) I record in HI MP3 formats and the quality of the HI Mp3 Formats is really quite exceptional.

thanks

t

although not really a Stereo FIELD Reccorder, Boss has a similar 4 track pocket studio as well, single HI Z input, stereo mic input, 4 track ,on board mic, effects of course , drum machine and up to 1 gig SD card. $229. But this does record in Boss's audio formats, not MP3 or Waves. Boss does provide a software that converts to wave. This one does allows transfering MP3's to 2 tracks which makes it a great little practice tool or road practice tool as well.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Boss-MICRO-BR-Digital-Recorder?full_sku=104061049

I guess we all need to buy at least one of each !

Last edited by Tony Prior on 16 Jan 2007 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 8:48 pm    

I just got a Zoom H4 and am learning to use it. Although it does have 4 internal tracks, you can't record 4 tracks simultaneously. What you can do is have the two internal mics (fairly good little condenser mikes crisscrossing at a 90 degree angel) record to two tracks. Then, while listening to those play back (with headphones, there is no speaker in this recorder), you can cut two more tracks, one with each of the two external jacks. The external jacks are a coaxial combination 1/4" phone jack and phantom jack, so you can use either type of connection. Then you can mix the four tracks internally, without having to download into a mixer. I guess this could have some use for someone who wanted to be able to overdub a couple of tracks in the field, without access to an external mixer.

One neat thing is that the $299 package includes a minimal starter Cubase LE piece of software for computer mixing. This would be the more normal way to mix tracks, and may be the least expensive way to get into home recording. You can later upgrade to the Cubase more advanced mixing software.