The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tell Me Your Thoughts If You will
Dwayne Martineau

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 1:05 pm    

Quote:
The Fender name alone dictates that they do not have to build to under price the competition. To do so would result in a cutting corners factor and moving away from building a “Fender” product.

You're absolutely right, but I don't think charging a fair price requires any corner-cutting. They shouldn't be cheap, just reasonable.

After all, Fender gave the working stiffs of the world the ultimate proletarian electric guitar (the one Johnny Cucci used to write music while Jody was slinging those pizzas); I'd hope they could do the same for the steel... again.

Paul's price translations seem in the right ballpark.

Paul Osbty

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 1:23 pm    

Quote:"...I'd rather pay 2K or maybe a little more for a triple neck".

Okay here's the breakdown for a 1973 T-8.

409.50 T-8 Stringmaster 22 1/2" (add $10 for 24")
52.00 4 legs

$521.50 total in 1973 translates to

$2191.69 in 2003.

My point was to show how the original pricing looks in today's dollars. Any variation's cost can be ballparked.

By the way, Fender didn't make 10 string steels (non-pedal). Why are people making this more complicated than what is feasible?

Fender can't "re-issue" something that didn't exist. If a whole new design is brought into the mix, it will lead to a much higher price. The higher price will be scoffed at, few will be purchased, and that will be the end of Fender ever being involved in steel guitars again (if this even comes to pass).

A direct re-issue has the advantage of nothing being changed. The modernization (due to obsolete parts) is probably all that Fender could tolerate.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 1:29 pm    

I'd buy a d-8 repro of a Stringmaster.

I'd also be interested in a single 6 or 8 lap with a supro/national/valco bridge pickup, a fender type neck pickup, and a piezo pickup that could be blended in with the electrics.

Dan Heend

Newark, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 1:35 pm    

Here's one...
I've been toying with the idea of picking up an Alembic Blaster (formerly "Stratoblaster"), and wiring it into my T8. Basically its an active preamp switchable booster that's designed to be easily retrofit into a Strat. It has a gain control (by trim pot), adding from +3 to +14dB of gain, supposedly without changing the tone. My idea is to replace the "all neck on" switch with one that will simultaneously kick in the Blaster to provide make-up gain to combat the lower levels you get when turning on all necks. So in other words, make it so that there is no level/tone change when switching from a single neck to "all necks on". Would make neck hopping much easier. Something like that built in by Fender on a new steel might be desirable.

On a different note, I'm sure if Fender would start making vintage compatible inline tuning pans, the line would be out the door and around the block.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 3:14 pm    

Quote:
On a different note, I'm sure if Fender would start making vintage compatible inline tuning pans, the line would be out the door and around the block

Dan, you are absolutely right about that - I'd be up near the front of that line, and I know of quite a few players who would be right beside me. In fact, I just got an email yesterday from one César Alcázar of Lima Peru, and he is desperately in need of a new set for his disabled D8. I wish I could have helped him, but all I could do was give him the contact info of someone who has said he can fix them.

Last August, I mailed a letter to Fender about this very subject, and I received an email reply. I sincerely hope they will one day reconsider their position on the matter. I guess they will, if they start making Stringmasters again . .

Paul Osbty

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 3:15 pm    

Keep in mind my pricing comes from a 1973 (effective January, 1) Fender Pricelist.

These are Suggested Retail prices. Not too many people paid those exact prices.

I would think the Guitar Centers of the world would shave off about 15% on all of the prices.

Chuck Halcomb

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 3:40 pm    

I would vote for a short scale T-8 and a T-10 and a D-8.

I would almost certainly think long and hard about buying the T-8 - say a stringmaster re-issue.

------------------
Remington Steel T-8 Steelmaster
Gibson Console Grande

[This message was edited by Chuck Halcomb on 02 March 2005 at 03:42 PM.]

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2005 3:50 pm    

Though I prefer the ealry Dual Pro's and Custom's, if Fender were to make more than a S-6, I would suggest the following:

Classic (Mexican made) Champ (white finish)

American Vintage (USA made) Deluxe 8 and Stringmaster D-8 ("Butterscotch" blonde and walnut finish)

A non reissue S-10 designed with pedal players in mind who want a quality modern non pedal guitar. Make this one as modern as possible. A companion piece to the Steel King Amp. Maybe even call it the Steel king?

Just my two cents worth, CS

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 6:19 am    

I think Chris has a good point from a marketing standpoint. I love my 55 D8 but it would sure be nice to be able to buy a brand new one!

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2005 3:28 pm    

For triple neck guys, maybe habe a Custom Shop "Time Machine" series triple 8. The relic of this line could have bar dings and coat-hanger holes drilled in the tuning pans.

CS

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2005 10:25 pm    

I vote for a double neck, 8-string instrument with string through pickups. Tone controls that can do a decent boo-wah. Made of swamp ash like 50's Fenders or flame maple. Tuning pegs that stick up vertically. Four legs (light weight & height adjustable). Finishes: vintage fender "telecaster" white and sunburst. Fretboard that goes beyond 24. Battery-power lighted fretboard. Finally, a built in pitch corrector for those out of tune notes (dream on.)