The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eddy Arnold's steel player
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 3:42 am    

Roy's store was on the same side and block as the E.T. Record Shop. There was a bar (Music City Lounge)on the corner then Roy's store, next to it was a bicycle shop, then, I think, the Wagon Wheen club, an X rated movie house, another store then the E.T. record shop (if I remember correctly).

We were across the street from Tootsie's.

We had a small freight elevator so I didn't have to carry amps or pedal steels to the 3rd floor to work on them.

The top two floors are gone from the building now. A Tornado that hit downtown in the 90's damaged the top floors and the building was remodeled to a one story. It houses a bar now.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 7:20 am     Except for two Recordings

George McLellan wrote:
Roy Wiggins.

Geo

Little Roy Wiggins; was Eddy Arnold's SG player; for 25 yrs but two recordings: "It's a Sin" and "To My Sorrow"! May Jesus rest Precious Roy's Soul. A dear friend. And the one; I learned to play the SG. And that "Tears of Nostalgia" now. Wow!

C.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 7:57 pm    

That is also him on George Morgan's "Red Rose From The Blue Side Of Town."

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 11:22 am    

A little sidelight:

When Roy passed away, his family was short on funds, and they approached Eddy Arnold and asked if he would pay for a modest grave marker for Roy. Eddy refused, and a collection was taken up here on the Forum to help pay for the marker. Here is the marker that was selected...

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2008/125/8558_121002667788.jpg

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2024 3:14 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
A little sidelight:

When Roy passed away, his family was short on funds, and they approached Eddy Arnold and asked if he would pay for a modest grave marker for Roy. Eddy refused, and a collection was taken up here on the Forum to help pay for the marker. Here is the marker that was selected...

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2008/125/8558_121002667788.jpg

There is a biography of Eddy that goes into a lot of detail about Eddy's and Roy's personal and professional relationship. The book is: Eddy Arnold: Pioneer of the Nashville Sound. As I remember the book they never really had a full falling out and remained friends. Eddy promised Roy a job for life, but Eddy's music rapidly evolved to not include the steel guitar, Eddy never welched on his promise but Roy was upset about the change in the music in sought other work. They also went into the real estate business together. Eddy never wanted to be a "great country singer' he wanted to be a great singer, and although he didn't resent his hillbilly days he much preferred the smoother style that didn't include the steel guitar. You have to read the whole book, there is a lot of material about their relationship and I don't remember it turning sour personally, things just changed.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 May 2024 5:11 pm     One little postscript.....

I saw both perform, but never met them, and didn't know either one personally. The grave marker pictured in my post probably cost two grand; or maybe a little less. Eddy, at the time one of the wealthiest people in Nashville, reportedly left an estate valued somewhere between twenty and forty million dollars. Confused

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2024 6:08 pm    

Of course we really don't know the details of the request and to my knowledge it has never been researched or documented, we cant be sure it really happened. You can read the book I mentioned, according to it they were really close and their lives just took different courses, the book describes Eddy as quite generous to Roy. Roy harbored quite a bit of resentment that the steel guitar cut cut out of Eddys music but Eddy continued to use him in his band just not on steel.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 5:56 am    

At some point I remember Billy Robinson playing a very similar style as Little Roy.
I, like some others learned by listening to a Roy Wiggins.
I bought my first steel guitar in 1947. It was a BR-9 Gibson combo.
Great little guitar. As I am a now 91 it will soon be for sale.
Still pickin and gettin paid….
Regards Old Bud

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2024 6:37 am    

Willis Vanderberg wrote:
At some point I remember Billy Robinson playing a very similar style as Little Roy.
I, like some others learned by listening to a Roy Wiggins.
I bought my first steel guitar in 1947. It was a BR-9 Gibson combo.
Great little guitar. As I am a now 91 it will soon be for sale.
Still pickin and gettin paid….
Regards Old Bud

I understand he was trying to copy Brother Oswald's dobro style on the lap steel.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2024 11:47 am     Little Roy Wiggins told me this.

Well that's me ugly Mad with Roy, And, the photo was taken in 1968. Right around the Ryan "Ole Opry". Where Roy had a music shop. And that SG was on his stage. That Roy's like any one to play it; so he can sell Guitars and Amplifiers, etc!

And Roy's rendition with Eddy Arnold: I believe this was the Greatest...

https://youtu.be/fVCk8CEc-uI

And Yes, Roy WAS with Eddy 25 yrs! And ONLY 2 recordings of Eddy that was not Roy! Were "It's a Sin" and "To my Sorrow". And Eddy got mad one time; and wanted another SG player. But those 2 recordings went horribly. And Eddy went back to Roy.

Also it IS: that Eddy was the "richest" person in Nashville! Very Happy Laughing And it's said, He made 45 million on his recordings Laughing . Thus, 45 M then; would be 45 B now. Wow! I don't know for sure. But Roy told me; MANY horrid things, that went on over 25 years. Oh Well...

The next recording of Eddy; that is my 2nd classic Song. Is here...

https://youtu.be/2kOpZKSYLzQ?list=TLPQMzAwNTIwMjSGN8km688HDw

And the 3rd is this...

https://youtu.be/DUxODmt6Zks

Incidentally, that Icon RCA; is where I was an employ; for 33 yrs. And every time I see that Icon; it brings "Tears of Nostalgia"! And...May Jesus rest Roy's Precious Soul. Amen! I'll never forget that dear friend...

C.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2024 4:50 pm    

Carl Dixon wrote:

"And Yes, Roy WAS with Eddy 25 yrs! And ONLY 2 recordings of Eddy that was not Roy! Were "It's a Sin" and "To my Sorrow". And Eddy got mad one time; and wanted another SG player. But those 2 recordings went horribly. And Eddy went back to Roy.

Also it IS: that Eddy was the "richest" person in Nashville! Very Happy Laughing And it's said, He made 45 million on his recordings Laughing . Thus, 45 M then; would be 45 B now. Wow! I don't know for sure. But Roy told me; MANY horrid things, that went on over 25 years. Oh Well..."

Could you please tell us something about the horrid things he told you. Thanks!

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2024 8:11 pm    

Thank you, Darrell Criswell; for your reply and a question Very Happy

Roy told me many things that hurt him. And I should have not used the word "Horrid". So knock that out and forgive me. And say Roy was pushed way down, all of his life, etc. Neutral I suppose it was Roy; and we were very close Friends. Yet he was so much of a kind person. And being with No money; while Eddy was making incredible money's. And he wouldn't even help this SGF; to buy a "Grave Marker" for Roy.

In other words, I think it's: A Quintessential KING; vs a very Poor man; liking in the Bible. Working 25 yrs for that King..."And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. But not even...a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him."

May Jesus have mercy...AMEN! And I cry ever time I hear bad things about "Little Roy Wiggins", he went through! Not to mention; his former wife kicked him out; losing his children because of committing a Sin; that many commits; back to Creation.

End of Story...

C.