The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ebay purchase went south!
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 11:23 am    

If you happen to see anything for sale from Jeremy2244, scroll on by. I bought a National lap last month. He never mailed it and I'm out $162. The seller must have at least 50 feedbacks in order for a Paypal claim to be filed. Let me know if you see anything listed by him. Thanks, Ron

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 11:30 am    

Hey Ron,

Do you have a link to the auction? I checked under this guy's id under completed items and there is nothing listed as sold. Did you give him negative feedback?

Joseph De Feo

Narberth, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 11:52 am    

Everybody watching E-Bay...

What's up with all the Nationals that I see,
selling over and over and over???

The same pic's and laps show up all the time.
I just started Ebaying and thought it was
somthing cool... Now, with frauds, ad-ware,
spyware, rip-off dealers and so-on. Now ,I just
don't know

Guess I'll keep my large purchases through
the Forum.

[This message was edited by Joseph De Feo on 14 April 2005 at 12:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joseph De Feo on 14 April 2005 at 12:57 PM.]

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 12:06 pm    

His last two sales were on 17 March. He's got only 3 feedbacks...all positive. Sometimes I wonder if a seller dies or goes to jail or something. Let ebay know.

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 12:11 pm    

Here's the item..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7306513459

I thought about negative feedback, but he would certainly retaliate. I have excellent feedback and don't need problems.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Victoria on 14 April 2005 at 01:16 PM.]

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 12:56 pm    

I'm assuming you've reported this to eBay and If so, isn't there anything they can do? I had some problems with a seller once and after numurous emails I finally got him to get off his ass and send me the guitar I paid for. He said he just got busy and hadn't got around to it.

------------------
55" Fender Stringmaster T8, 54" Fender Champion, Carter D-10, two Oahu laps, two National laps, and two Resonators

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 1:07 pm    

Am I getting this right: you pay him ... he doesn't send you the guitar ... eBay won't do anything because he doesn't have 50 transactions ... and he has the opportunity to "retaliate" with negative feedback?

What's wrong with this picture?

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 2:26 pm    

I would still leave him negative feedback and put "scam artist" in the comments. It's sad ebay won't do anything. Situations like these makes me not want to get anything on there anymore.

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:03 pm    

I filed w/Ebay. They don't reveal their actions to the buyer. Could be removal or suspension. I use Paypal thinking I'm covered. But to my surprise, the deadbeat slips by because he is new with only 3 feedbacks. Doesn't seem fair. I have been buying and selling for years and never had a problem.

Ron

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:21 pm    

Ron, if you never received the item, I would definitely give him negative feedback. If he retaliates, you do too.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:36 pm    

Ron, do not have such a defeatist attitude in this situation. It's not acceptable that you got screwed--you did your part, you made payment through Paypal. They will get you your money back. You have to file and follow their instructions.

About this feedback--who gives a **** if he retaliates and gives you neg feedback? That what the system exists for--to let others know the truth. You did you nothing wrong and if he leaves neg feedback, you can answer to it publicly.

BTW, wasn't that a Magnatone and not a National?

David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:38 pm    

I would send him an e-mail with something to the effect of" do we have to get my lawyer involved (name of lawyer)etc.." This ussually does the trick.I've had experience were people are trying to jerk me around and this gets their attention enough to get the situation resolved quickly. -dave

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:44 pm    

First off, it was a Magnatone. I read thru the PP rules for filing a claim, and it did say the seller had to have a minimum rating of 50. So, that's a dead end. You are right about negative feedback. I also like the lawyer part. After my last phone contact, he said the guitar was mailed. Now that number is disconnected and he will not reply to the numerous emails. I will try the lawsuit angel before giving negative feedback. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ron

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 4:39 pm    

The only feedback I could find there was from sellers for purchases he made. I don't think he has sold anything. Sounds like a scammer or deadbeat. My wife bought something once and the seller tried to ignore the sale because it went for less then they thought it would. She reported it to ebay and they got the item for her, I don't know how. Good luck.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:52 pm    

Sorry to hear it Ron.
I sent him an email and told him to send you your guitar or send your money back. Maybe if he got 40 or 50 emails like that from different people it would give him nightmares.
Rick

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 8:41 pm    

I think Ricks idea is a good one too. If the deadbeat gets enough mail about it maybe he'll do something about it. Anyway it can't hurt.

------------------
55" Fender Stringmaster T8, 54" Fender Champion, Carter D-10, two Oahu laps, two National laps, and two Resonators

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 6:01 am    

Ron,

IMHO and experience, ...and similar experiences / opinions of a number of other professional instrument buyers I work with: Fleabay and pray-pal are premeditated, frustrating, stonewalling, run-around, do-nothing, legal scam artists in their own right. Ya gotta be real careful on ebay because they aren't real prone to helping out when things go sour. They desire to be the forum but not the mediator they claim to be, and have set their system and policies up to remain as distant from problems as they can. It seems they are quite biased to the party that brings in the lettuce for them, and they will make it a real chore to navigate the maze they throw up for a claimant, and they otherwise seem to be working with a roulette wheel or dart board in deciding what complaints to answer competently instead of normally feigning the appearance of incompetence (part of the maze the front offices can blame downstream if someone penetrates their stone wall). Since the Seller in your case is not a lettuce winner for ebay, you might get lucky on ebay's roulette wheel / dart board.

Ebay themselves claim to guarantee an auction up to $200 (minus a $25 "fee"!) when not covered by Pray Pal.

Regardless of what you decide to do with / about eBay / Pay Pal, you should:

(1) In your computer: SAVE a copy of the actual auction webpage before it goes away; Download / *save* the pictures manually because they are often posted in the auction as an image file that exists on another webiste (like images posted here on the SGF) and often disappear some-time after an auction closes. Make copies of all your files AND EMAILS for that auction and put the copies in a single folder so the auction's deatailed info is handy, and then;

(2) File an online complaint with the FBI / IFCC (Internet Fraud Complaint Center). It's easy once you have the abovesaid folder of files prepared and handy to get the data they'll ask for.

(3) Locate and contact the FBI / IFCCC Internet Fraud Task Force UNIT / DEPT of THE STATE DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE in the SELLER'S local district. You can call the Police or Sheriff in the town he lives in and get the contacts for the District Attorney's office. Advise the detective there that you have filed the FBI / IFCC complaint, give them the complaint number that the IFCC will have given you when you file the IFCC complaint, and tell the detective to please email you when the official complaint is received by him/her. Check back with the detective every week ...and more often if they don't respond, or are "unavailable". The squeaky wheels get the grease.

-------

** I have now edited the links previously posted here and put them along with more new resources onto a new resources links webpage.

-------

People fed up with ebay are not just imagining things; The huge number of congruent complaints on the internet reveal a systemaic deliberance by ebay. And Ebay was just charged with racketeering.

-------------

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 17 April 2005 at 05:53 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 7:07 am    

Good one Denny
i agree that ebay is a maze to get through when dealing w: complaints & such

Ron, i too wrote to jeremy askin' him what it was all about & tellin' him his name was down in RED until the situation came up solid

always try to get the $eller's fone # before goin' through w: an auction
especially when it's an expensive article.
if he don't wanna comply - can him !

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 7:22 am    

I have some negative feedback, and I'm proud of it! It affords you the chance to tell your side of the problem. I wear it like a scar from a fight that I won. You will feel a whole lot better after you take a shot at the crook. The hard part is condensing the response to his post within the limitations of the space they give you

my user name is lonster1.

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 7:38 am    

Ron -- I too sent him a note strongly suggesting he owes you some combination of: an explanation; an apology; your guitar; and your money.

I assume from what you've said is that he has not responded to e-mails since you sent him the money via PayPal; i.e., no tales of woe or "lost in shipping?"

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 15 April 2005 at 10:05 AM.]

Mike Ruffin

El Paso, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 9:02 am    

Ron
I sent Jeremy an email, also. Good luck, buddy.

Mike

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 9:45 am    

I sent him a stern reminder to do right by you, also.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 7:29 pm    

I compiled more new resources links onto a separate webpage and edited my previous posting here to include a link** to that webpage in lieu of the list previously in that posting.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 15 April 2005 at 08:32 PM.]

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2005 5:43 am    

I fail to understand why someone who seems very intellegent, resorts to pee-bay, flea bay, pray pay and other misnomers to describe a legitimate business.
My personal experience has been very satisfactory with both .I have about 80 transactions with one negative. That was strickly with a buyer and had nothing to do with ebay.I have had worse problems with some sellers on the Forum.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2005 5:55 am    

When I do 'research' on a seller to determine whether he meets my minimum standard of comfort/confidence to bid on something, I factor in as much data as I can find. 3 feedbacks with none of them recent enough to trace as to item and amount of $$ involved, and zero data as a seller---this does not meet my minimum. He could have bought three pairs of tube socks at $.49 per. Doesn't tell me squat.
As to Loni's comment--absolutely. A negative is not an automatic red flag. If you read deeper into it you often discover that the seller is the victim of a wacko, an idiot, an unreasonable customer or a thwarted scammer.
Of course, he could also be a bad biz risk. Gotta do your homework.
And also of course, you can do all your due diligence and still get screwed.