The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Mike Perlowin
Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 4:52 am    

Sad news indeed - Mike was always willing to offer encouragement and great advice to newer players.
RIP

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:28 am    

Terribly sad news to hear, loved mikes contribution to the forum and steel guitar community, we had a few great chats over the years, may his family find peace in this difficult time.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:29 am    

Sad to hear this... chatted with Mike a few times, even got a patch bay from him a few years back. He was a knowledgeable, interesting man. And really loved his Millenniums.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:48 am    

Sad news. Mike was an interesting guy and unique in his approach to our instrument.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:12 am    

This is sad news indeed. Mike was one of the first folks I spent time with at the St. Louis show and we hung out a fair bit at the shows for a few years running. I remember laughing so hard I thought I was going to keel over during some of the conversations he and I were part of. RIP Mike.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:15 am    

Sorry to hear this ! He was great contributor to The Steel Guitar Forum. I liked his playing and approach to Steel Guitar! RIP my Friend!

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:39 am    

For those not on Facebook:

This is Laurie, Mike's wife. Mike passed away this evening (7/22)at around 8 PM. He had been suffering from a number of health problems, including diabetes, kidney disease and heart disease. We had just made an appointment for tests on his heart, but it was too late. He died here at home of heart disease.

My husband of 52 years, Mike Perlowin, known to some as Uncle Social, passed away this evening at around 8PM. He had been struggling with many health problems, and his heart stopped beating. I was with him. He was struggling for breath, and I asked him many times whether I should call 911. He kept saying no, he didn't want to go to the hospital. Finally I called anyway, but it was too late. They did their best, but couldn't save him.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:49 am     RIP Mike Perlowin

so sorry to here this mike and i talked a couple of times about msa guitars. prayers are sent...

p.w

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:59 am    

OMG! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I only found out about this tragedy a few moments ago by a text from Bob Blair. I am shocked and saddened deeply.

Mike was truly one of my very first musical pals; in fact, we played in a bluegrass band together when I was 15 years of age, he was about a year older than I. As a matter of fact he told me that since we had monster flatpick guitarist Phil Boroff in the band, he was the one that suggested I switch to mandolin and/or dobro, due to my small hands. I went off into country, he went into blues. Few here may know that Mike was one of the founding members of Canned Heat, one of the most popular blues acts to this day.

We both spent hours and hours, days and days, nights and nights at the Ash Grove, our musical incubator that provided our educations from the greats of American traditional music in so many ways.

He was a maven of so much, so generous in so many ways. If I was disabled by a broken foot, or a broken wrist, he'd lovingly assemble tapes, CDs, or videos and send them to me to while away my downtime hours. Always calling to check up on me or to let me know what was happening with friends of ours in CA.

I was already deeply into being a professional country steel player when Mike took up the instrument in the 1980's, and he took it into different directions that I couldn't conceive of. For example, he was involved in bringing Demola Adepoju to the United States; Demola was the steel guitarist for King Sunny Ade, a Nigerian pop star of great reknown in the World Music community. Demola was a totally naive African, completely unaware of country music, Buddy Emmons, or anything American. Mike guided him through ISGC one year in what must have seemed as bizarre a conglomeration of humanity as he'd ever experienced. Mike was his protector and benefactor.

However, his overriding passion was interpreting steel guitar into the world of classical music, where complexity, intellect, and technique reign supreme. An uphill battle for him (and anyone, really), he persevered and produced recordings that took years to create and he finally achieved recognition from that community with those recordings and live performances with small chamber-type assemblages in Los Angeles.

This is all off the top of my head as I'm still reeling from the news I received literally a few minutes ago. I'm going to spend the morning listening to Mike's recordings, starting with my favorite, his approach to the entire score of Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story.

This loss is very close to me, and I haven't fully digested it. Maybe I'll say more later about my old friend, maybe not. Right now, this is a tough one.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:03 am    

Sad news. I've just been re-reading the book he did for Mel Bay "Music Theory in the Real World". A huge help for a novice in understanding chord building and intervals. His contributions the world of music were considerable. RIP Mike.

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:30 am    

I am very sorry to learn of Mike's passing. Over the years we had many conversations. He helped me in a number of ways. He was a very nice person and I, along with the rest of the Steel Guitar Community feel his loss.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:55 am    

This is sad news. I always enjoyed visiting with Mike at the Phoenix show, and we talked via phone and email several times. He definitely had a different and interesting approach to the steel guitar. Although we were diametrically opposite politically, we still were friends and had great conversations about our love of the steel guitar, especially MSA steel guitars. RIP my friend.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 8:11 am    

Sad news. I always enjoyed Mike's friendship, and I will miss him. A true innovator on the steel guitar. May his memory be a blessing.
Chuck

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 8:11 am    

Just talked to Mike a couple weeks ago. This is really hard to process! He was an important voice in our steel guitar world, always advocating for our instrument to those who might not see it’s deeper potential. He was one of the first to reach out to me when I was first diagnosed with throat cancer, and he sent a few musical care packages to help me through it. He was a friend! R.I.P. Mike

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 8:56 am    

Very sad news...so sorry to hear about this. The last few years have been very tough for him, health-wise.
Rest easy, Mike. I'm thankful to have known you.

Last edited by Skip Edwards on 23 Jul 2021 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:03 am     Our Forum Brother

Mike was always willing to share his expertise/experience with all of us…no matter whether a Rookie Beginner to a Seasoned Veteran. With over 15,000 posts, I think that tells the story! Thanks for everything Mike…Our Forum has suffered a great loss today…

James Ives

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:21 am     Mike Perlowin

Mike was my best friend for the last 10 years. He disliked country music and took his steel to places most steel players never imagined: classical and some show music.

He was one of the most intelligent men I have had the honor to know. We spent many evenings discussing politics, race, the news, and his wife Laurie.

Mike was one of the most ethical and honest people I have known. He told great stories, but never just once. "Did I ever tell you about..." was commonly heard.

He was deluged with right wing rednecks and Trumpers contacting him, and tolerated them despite being profoundly opposed to their views. We would sometimes marvel at the things he read on this forum and in the news.

Mike Perlowin was a great fellow, a devoted husband for 52 years, and a best friend who will be missed.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:29 am    

This is sad news. When I first found the forum, Mike was the first person to reach out personally to answer some of my newbie questions. His desire to offer some encouragement and direction to me was and will always be very much appreciated. Rest In Peace, Mike!

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:51 am    

I'm sad to hear this, I enjoyed Mike's post, and contributions on the forum.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:55 am    

Very sorry to hear about Mike . . . we communicated through emails and FB. Years ago, I did meet him in St. Louis at the Convention.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:56 am    

Here I am practically in Mike's back yard and I just found out here. I had noticed I hadn't heard from him lately and was about to reach out myself (I'm in a physical rehab facility for weeks and months and have lots of time to talk on the phone), but didn't realize the timing was so imminent and perilous.

Mike was obsessed with delivering me from clumsy perpetual beginnerism, giving me lessons and trying to throw me into the deep end of a jam in which I'd only intended to play along on through headphones. I did manage to elude mortification that day, although I don't remember how.

My flight from incompetence may start over, albeit without Mike's guidance, in a few months as my left foot and ankle (the cause of my rehab stay) will no longer be viable on the left foot pedals. I will be looking for a "right-footed" steel and once acquired or custom-built and received, will be emblazoned with his name and/or a photo from a jam.

He as an incredible asset to a magnificent instrument.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 10:09 am    

I read this, first thing this morning, and I've been dwelling with it all day. This is one of those 'mortality alerts'. Mike is one of the earliest names I know here on the forum from when I joined and to me he is a part of its personality. This is sobering.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 10:23 am    

I am very saddened to read of Mike's passing. He was a solid, contributor to this forum.

My deepest sympathies and prayers go out for his family and friends. RIP Mike.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 10:52 am    

I just heard of Mike's passing, via Facebook. I knew he was ill, but had no idea just how much. It came as a shock. My condolences to his friends and family.

Many people don't know that, early in his career, Mike played with Canned Heat.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 10:56 am    

Very sad news. As a perennial freshman to this forum, I always read his posts with attention and reverence.

I consider him a Mt. Rushmore figure in the world of the Steel Guitar Forum.