The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Nashville 112 dead
David Moore

Bakersfield, California
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 9:26 pm    

Just got delivered a new one. When I turn the power switch on there is a very soft hum, but power light does not come on and there is no sound. Changed power cord, instrument cords, outlet, instruments. Anything else I should try before returning?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 4:38 am    

Try calling Mike Brown, at Peavey. He should be able to offer some suggestions.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 7:54 am    

If you plug it in to a good outlet and the pilot light doesn't even come on, and you've already tried different (power) cords, it's considered a "D.O.A.".

Just return it.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 8:56 pm    

Make sure that power cable is plugged into the amp well. I felt like an idiot at a gig when "my amp wouldn't come on".

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 10:00 pm    

When I took my NV 112 out of the box, it wouldn't come on. I didn't realize the power cord plugged into the chassis and it took me a few minutes to figure out it wasn't plugged in securely. Later, on a show with Don Helms, he experienced the same problem, his had worked loose. This is an issue
easily overlooked.

However, David states he has tried another power cord and the amp emits a soft hum, so I doubt this is his particular problem.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 2:16 am    

This doesn't reference the original problem.

But, I've found that using a smaller cable clamp to hold the power cord tight will eliminate it coming loose from the power socket - at least since I went to the smaller (tight) cable clamp over a year ago I haven't had any more problems.

David Moore

Bakersfield, California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 6:35 am     Thanks for your input.

I was hoping I might be missing something ridiculously simple, but no. It simply is defective. I'm exchanging it for another. If the next one has the same problem then I'm the one that is defective.

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 9:10 pm    

Regarding the plug in power cord, it hangs upside down, making it prone to pull out. I use a dab of
a product called Liquid Nails to stick it to the chassis. It never complete hardens and is easy to
remove. I suppose RTV sealant woud be just as good.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2007 4:00 pm    

Quote:
Regarding the plug in power cord, it hangs upside down, making it prone to pull out.

Please, PLEASE! Someone tell me that's not so. Sad Question

Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2007 5:01 pm    

I checked one for Ernie Cawby that was falling out easily. It was not seated well, a good hard push took care of that. It seems to be a common problem and needs to be addressed. A good cable restraint that grips the power cord would help as well.

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2007 8:43 pm    

What a great resource this forum is. This thread
points up a problem that is apparently pretty common.
How many times have you taken a product back to a
company for a defect and have them treat you like an idiot and pretend you're the only one who has ever
complained. I want to make it clear that this
scenario does not apply to Peavey. I have never
dealt with a company that is so accomodationg to
its customers. I am sure they are addressing this
problem.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2007 3:08 am    

Ken, read my post, above, about the smaller cable clamp.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2007 9:52 am    

My N-112 came with a cable clamp and I have never had any problems. I am not sure what series or year it is but I got it from Bobbe early this year. MY guess is that Peavey installs them now.
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2007 7:43 pm    

The cable problem is not limited to Peavey. I've never had it with my N112, but every gig I have to jiggle the plug on my FSK to get it to work. I'll have to try Jack's suggestion.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2007 9:43 pm    

Why do amp company's make a plug-in power cord? Is it in some way better than a cord that is wired in at the factory?
Mitch

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2007 6:15 am     Nashville 112 and Nashville 1000

About the long and short of it is, that the world is changing and becoming more "universal". This is not to say that these amplifiers have a universal power supply, but that in a lot of products such as computers, etc., a universal power supply is more common. To an extent, this applies to several products that we now manufacture.

The bottom line is that the reason that the AC power recepticle is positioned on the bottom of the chassis as opposed to the rear panel is because we did not want anyone leaving their AC power cord at home, then get to the gig only to find that they could not plug up their amp for the performance. So, I advised our engineering group to position it on the bottom of the chassis and use the plastic retainer to secure it tightly. It's simple and it works.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2007 6:20 am    

Check the NEC code, the IEC connectors may also be a requirement on new equipment. Almost everything new, that doesn't have a "wall wart", has the IEC power connectors.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2007 7:14 am    

I like the move to the IEC connectors. They make field replacement of mangled power cords a no-brainer. Any computer store, or Radio shack, will have replacements available...and a tech isn't required! Heck, I just carry a spare in my kit.

I've seen far too many amps with damaged/dangerous power cords where the owner didn't want to take the time or expense to replace. Now, with the IEC connectors, there's a simple remedy.

I'd like to see all amp techs replace the old power cords, and strain reliefs, with IEC versions.

Rocco Labriola

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 11:13 am     112

Hello David,

Not sure if you sent it back yet.

When I got my 112 and took it to my first gig a door closed too fast and slammed in to the amp. I thought 'no big deal it's a Peavey'. I plugged it in and nothing. No red light, zippo.

The next day I thought about it before sending it back decided to hunt down the fuse. I took the top grill off and and sure enough the fuse had popped out do to the impact of the door. I popped it back in and it's worked fine ever since.

Just thinking maybe yours popped out during shipping.

Rocco

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 3:09 am    

Rocco....I e-mailed David that very suggestion some time ago, would be interested to see if that is indeed the problem.

David Moore

Bakersfield, California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 8:12 pm     Fuse

It probably was something as simple as a fuse. But since I didn't spot the fuse right off I went ahead and sent it back. There is another one coming.

On the other hand, if it was a fuse, would it have made a hum when the power was switched on?

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 3:58 am     Problem?

The "detachable" power cable has not been a problem so far, and I don't expect that it will.

Anyone that needs assistance with their Peavey product can call me toll free in North America at 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180 and I will be glad to answer any questions about our products or services.

Hope to see you in the Peavey Demo Room at the upcoming St. Louis Int'l Steel Guitar Convention this Labor Day.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 5:51 am     hi

Ken mentioned my 112, the clamp holding the chord was to big and the wire keeps sliping down and the amp comes unpluged, put on a smaller clamp and the problem is fixed.

ernie

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 6:51 am    

I've experienced the same problem on my Nashville 1000. But I must say it's a GREAT AMP! Nick

Last edited by Nick Reed on 8 Aug 2007 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 10:29 am     Power cable retainer

Simply move the plastic cable retainer up towards the bottom of the chassis so that it provide slight pressure on tension of the plug.