The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 9:04 am    

Pat, My little bit of Rome

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 11:35 am    

I always though that the ZB top looked a bit like a LYRE. not sure of the setup of this one , no pedals or knee levers but it looks like a single 10 string model.
anyone else agree with that?

Pat Kelly

Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2007 11:15 am    

Russ,

Yes, I still have the D-11. It is going to have to be neglected for a while as I have to get used to the different setup on the d10 which has the e changes on the right knee. I'm also having a little initial trouble with picking having got used to the extra string. I'm sure it will all work out.
Pat

Peer Desmense

Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2007 8:48 am     ZB custom I used to own

Hi Folks,

Just became a member to this forum today and I would like to take this opportunity to show you the very typical ZB custom I used to own in the late seventies.
When in the Netherlands the pedalsteelstorie began, there were some players that owned a ZB and to me these were certainly the most beautiful steel guitars in the market at that time.
I than owned a Framus (German made, heavy to play but very heavy duty too) as many Dutch players did, but these things were ugly and you didn't want to be seen with them, so naturally I decided to have myself a ZB.
I ordered one through Jan Visser (Builder of Devis pedalsteel) and I hoped te get the ZB as I knew them then.
Three months later it arrived and when I opened the case I wasn't sure how to react.
The ZB was built very different from the ones I knew: it was much more compact, didn't have the fishtails, but more important: the undercarriage was unreco
gnizable; very un ZB like: the whole system had been changed but it certainly was a big improvement over the normal ZB configuration. (I regret to not have any pictures of the underside, but I am in the proces of seeking contact with todays owner Tom Ensink, perhaps we can get pictures of it through him... Idea
According to Jan Visser the company now was owned by Tom Brumley and he was supposed to have built the instrument.
(Later on I sold this ZB (which I now regret of course) to another Dutch player who took it to America at one time and had the good luck to be able to show it to Tom Brumley at a steelguitar meeting. Tom denied having built the instrument so this leaves me puzzled but who knows: perhaps one of you good people know who put his signature under this particular one.
Anyway, here are some pictures of this beauty. the ugly thing behind it is me.

Greetings from Peer Desmense

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2007 9:10 am    

Peer,

Welcome to the forum and the ZB family!!! If you remember when you got the guitar, that may help identify the builder. Tom Brumley sold the company in 1985 and it is possible you could have a Basil Smith built ZB. I noticed that the keyhead is open at the end and that was typical of Basil's work. I dont know if they ever did that when Tom owned the company or not.

Greg

Peer Desmense

Netherlands
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2007 12:18 am    

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your kind welcoming words!

I do not remember the exact date of purchase but it must have been around 1977/78. The Dutch importer (Jan Visser) was as surprised as I was to see such a different instrument when it arrived, so it must have had something to do with new ownership after Zane's period I guess. I'm afraid you're wrong about the open keyhead end. The picture is not clear enough for this to see, but I know it was closed and very compact. Changing the two longest strings was a very hard job to do because of this, I remember.
Anyway, once I got over the surprise of receiving such a different ZB (I was very disappointed about the missing fishtails e.g.) I really got to love this ZB. Several years later however (The band I was playing in had an empty agenda) I lost interest in steeling and sold the ZB. I regret this stupidity uptill this very day. Crying or Very sad

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2007 1:29 pm    

My Bad, It must be a reflection in the end of the keyhead. In 77/78' Tom Brumley still had ownership of the ZB Company. This guitar would have been Texas built and also one of the 1st cut down ZB's they made. Knocking off the fishtales and some extra wood lightened them up a bit. Love the inlay work in that guitar!!!

Greg

Peer Desmense

Netherlands
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 7:25 am     Same steel?

Did you notice by the way the sililarity between that zb I used to own (scroll to above) and the one you see in this picture?

Peer

Peer Desmense

Netherlands
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 8:32 am    

Sililarity????????????

Sily!

Meant similarity of course!
Neutral Neutral Neutral

Peer

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 10:32 am     Photo

What would be the chance of each one of us that own ZBs to post a photo of each. We could see all the different colors and other things that may be different. Zane and Tom were constantly upgrading and making changes in the guitars. If we had the ZB refinished, we could describe the color before and after.
Just wondering
Billy

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 10:56 am    

Peer,Ethan Riley who used to play with Glen Campbell had one of those.I visited Tom Brumley when he owned the company in Austin in the late 70's,I needed a decal for an old ZB,He had a guitar that looked exactly like the one that you had.Ethan's guitar had a very modern changer system,I always wanted one one of those...just couldn't get the money together.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 11:28 am     ZB pictures

Good idea Billy! Very Happy

I purchased this from Gail Bowie from Texas in March of 2005. It was her late fathers. This link has his obituary and my call for information about him. Day setup with 9P and 4K.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=113359&highlight=gail+bowie

Last edited by Russ Tkac on 17 Aug 2007 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Billy Knowles

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 12:09 pm     ZB

Russ
Please also give the serial number and history of the guitar. I bet the history of some ZBs would be interesting.
Thanks
Billy
Also please send me instructions as to how to post a photo

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 1:07 pm     Please check out my ZB Gallery and contribute a photo

There's a good head start (some with serial numbers ) at this link for My ZB Gallery!

Clicking on any of the pix in the gallery will show you a larger version of the same image...
Like this one! SN# 0458

Very Happy

Billy Knowles

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 4:24 am     ZB

This is 1058. Restored by Billy Knowles. It was solid black with no inlay. Dick Miller, Nashville, refinished it for me and put the inlay in.

Last edited by Billy Knowles on 22 Aug 2007 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Billy Knowles

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 5:17 am     ZB Register

This ZB now is owned by Duncan Hodge. Serial number 0098.

Billy Knowles

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 5:21 am     ZB Register

This is stained black and Natural. Serial number: 0330. Also notice the 1/2 tone tuner. Don't know who ownes it presently.

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 7:44 am     Joining the gang

Incoming. Greg Jones is currently doing some work under the hood. Thanks Chuck and Greg!

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 8:13 am     Nice ZB S12

Way to go Steve! That is a very special ZB. Greg will make it play real nice. Very Happy

Russ

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 1:50 pm    

Thanks for posting the picture of your old red ZB Billy. I've never seen it without its pad. Man that is one beautiful piece of maple on top. All your work is great. That particular ZB SD-10 is the best sounding instrument that I have ever played. I was wondering if you had pictures of the orange one you redid. I saw it up for sale a while ago, but couldn't afford it at the time. An orange ZB is a real rarity. In any event, thanks for restoring all of those great ZBs.
To Steve H. it has been a looooooong 3 1/2 years since Chuck bought that ZB U-12 from Atomic Music in MD. With all the love and attention, not to mention weeping and gnashing of teeth, it sould sound terriffic.
Duncan

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 4:52 pm    

Duncan,
I'm really looking forward to getting this steel.
I've been contemplating a couple different ones, but after talking to Greg and Chuck, I decided this might be it. Greg is going to simplify the copedant on it a bit, and set it up like an extended E9 . It sure is a beauty in the pictures.

Billy Knowles

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 4:58 pm     ZB

Steve
What is the serial number
Thanks
Billy

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 5:18 pm     ZB 12 Serial #

On the question Mr. Jones?

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2007 7:29 pm    

The Serial number on that 12 stringer is #1060. Invoiced on Feb. 11th 1967 to Don Edwards. Built in Scranton, Arkansas by Zane. This guitar has some killer flame maple in it!!!

Greg

Billy Knowles

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2007 12:54 pm    

Don't remember the serial number, but this orange was rare. I think Duane's Music sold it for me.
Wish I had kept it. Case was different also.
Billy