The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New GFI Stainless Steel Changer Fingers
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 12 May 2007 8:35 pm    

Anybody put these on their GFI? I'm planning on buying a set at any rate for mine, but thought I'd check in with you GFI nutters.

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 11:35 am    

I don't own a GFI yet, but Mike S. had them on his
new steel that was delivered to him @ the TSGA conv.
back in March 07. I was there when they done a side by side test with another GFI without them.
To me they added a little brightness, & better string
seperation, & there was was a incress in the over all
volume. If I bought a GFI they would be on it for sure. I would love to own a GFI.
Also Mike was playing threw a new Webb. What a combo.

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 8:15 pm    

Thanks for the input, Autry. I'm still waiting to hear from Bob at GFI on whether they offer to sell just the fingers--and whether they'd work for my older GFI (1998). I sure hope so. They sound wonderful.

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 8:30 pm    

I just can't imagine stainless being the best choice for this application. No doubt it would be brighter; I would think too bright. Everyone raves about the "old Sho-Bud tone" and the "P/P" tone... that was accomplished with aluminum. I believe stainless has been tried before, and wasn't it the general concensus that it was a tad too harsh sounding?

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2007 2:19 am    

Thee's been a co-evolution of amps, guitar components, speakers and such. Manufacturers try to make an amp that sounds good with the guitars of the day, then guitar makers try to make a guitar that sound good with those amps, people try speakers with different tonal voicing to try to get the best sound out of those amps, etc.

Stainless steel frets have been available on electric guitars for several years now - the general consensus is that they are much brighter sounding, but if you have enough EQ control you can accommodate that, and they last practically forever. They will wear out your fret files faster, and they are also harder than the strings - stainless steel fingers on a pedal steel guitar might break strings more often, only time will tell.

Surely, if you plug such a guitar into an amp & speaker combo that is set for an aluminum-fingered guitar, the stainless ones will be brighter. However, they will also be pumping plenty of midrange and bass - it's just a question of whether that particular rig has the EQ range to back down the treble to the range that seems "normal". If stainless fingers were ever to become the standard, steel amp manufacturers would probably be re-voicing their tonal controls.

(I would buy these in a heartbeat, were I to be buying a GFI.)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2007 5:18 am    

I go along with "Mikey" on the aluminum. I had a long discussion (actually I listened) with Paul Franklin Sr on what material was best for fingers. He said they did a lot of testing when he worked for Sho-Bud and he's done testing with his own and the aluminum was the best.

As far as wear by strings, I've always used SS (wound) strings on my late 81 Franklin and after about 25 1/2 years, there's very little wear on the wound string fingers.

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2007 10:19 am    

I was told last week they were only going to be available on new guitars

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 14 May 2007 8:21 pm    

And right you are, Jeff. I received word from Bob that they want to keep these for their new line and won't be offering a retrofit for older models. Too bad, but I understand. As for what's best for fingers, I truly have no good opinion, as I've not heard the tests that others heard at the Texas show. Personally, though, I put a lot of faith into Gene Fields. He is truly an innovator and not... a con man. If he says on his site that these new fingers give more volume, brightness, and string separation, I believe him. Whether that's something all steel players are looking for via steel fingers, that's obviously not going to be the case. To each his own.

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 4:18 am     Best thing i have seen!

Guys, i have been playing the GFI unltra for about 6 years now.. and im not sure what the other companys have tryed.. but i can teel you first hand.. along with anyone at the dallas show that the stainless steel finger are without a doubt the best way to go!
As some one on the thread has said already, the volume has im proved about 50 to 75%... The tone yes is just a bit brighter... But not much on the high strings, it just made the low end srings come to life.. And string separation is unbelevable.. And again as someone has said, to each his own.. but i can tell you, ALL of my GFI guitars will have the S.S. system in it from now on..Im sure you will see many more brands jumping on the wagon soon!, i know someone said Williams Is already starting to convert now. Oh Yea, i have heard them on the KEyless and the keyed version, and both are great.. I myself prefer the keyless..
Mike

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 5:08 am    

Mike... Bill Rudolph has had the 600 changer (stainless fingers, chrome plated for at least two years).

Dekley had SS fingers from the get go.

I have played a Dekley and noticed only a slight difference in tone, easily tweaked with the tone controls on the amp.

String wear grooves are non existant. JMO: SS is the way to go. Your Mileage may vary.

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 6:08 am     Sound

I'll have To Go With Michael. SONNY.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 7:16 pm     Stainless Steel?

Hey Jim Bob, From what I understand the Williams 600 series has Steel string levers, hardened to Rockwell 40 and Chrome plated. It does not state it has stainless steel string levers...correct me if I misunderstand