The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jack 'Curly' Evans
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2007 11:23 pm    

I just watched some old Ray Price goodies on YouTube and the steel player on two of his songs was Jack 'Curly' Evans. We've all heard of Burnett, Emmons, Day, Isaacs, Rugg, Myrick, Robinson, Helms, Byrd, Worden, Roberts, and a kazillion others of that era. Does anyone know anything about Jack Evans? Never heard of him B4 tonight and he was 'using pedals' to boot!! It looked like an early Shot Jackson conversion job that he was playing, but the camera man only panned briefly and the view was not real clear. On what show were these songs performed? I have seen DVD's of similar shows (same backdrops) featuring Webb Pierce, Marty Robbins, and Carl Smith. These are true American treasures IMO. Country music like it was and really ought to be today. Not this crap the biggies are force-feeding the public at present. This was the real thing!!
PRR

Kevin Lange

Dickson, TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 1:20 pm    

Over the Easter weekend my wife Kathy and I were in Nashville to visit our steel guitar playing son, Eddie. On Saturday the 7th, we went to the Country Music Hall Of Fame to see a program that was moderated by DJ Great Eddie Stubbs. The program was called "One More Time", and featured past members of Ray Price's Cherokee Cowboys Band. Jack, (I think he spells his name Evins) was on the show along with Don Helms, Buddy Emmons, Buddy Spicher, Pete Wade and Van Howard. Jack said he left the music business because he didn't think he had the talant to make it in the business. (I think he sold himself short.) He also said that when he left the music business, he had a wife and five kids to take care of. He went into law enforcement, and ended up a U.S. Marshall.

That program was simply FANTASTIC!! I'm pretty sure they were taping it. Hopefully, at some point, copies of that show will be available.

Kevin

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 1:38 pm    

In 1958 I made a trip to Souix City Iowa, to see a show featuring Ernest Tubb & Ray Price, I was fortunate to get backstage during the show, Buddy Emmons was with ET & expecting to see Jimmy Day with Price, Jack Evans was with him, when I met Jack & told him I had Sho-Bud #3 he treated me like royalty, he even bought me a hot dog! he also said he played on Prices "Invitation to the Blues" I never heard much about him after that, & that explains what my long time friend, Kevin Lange stated above about Jim devoting his time to his family! Such great memories from the Golden Days! Al Udeen

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 1:51 pm    

Kevan, here's a couple of sites that are already up and running on the meeting:

http://www.countrymusichalloffame.com/site/other-cherokeecowboys.aspx

http://blog.audreysdream.org/

phred

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 6:30 pm     Jack Evins

Thanks, guys!! I really appreciate the info on Jack. Sorry for the misspelling on his name in my previous post. . .the view of the name on the front of his guitar was partially blocked. Leave it to Eddie Stubbs to do something like this panel. He is the glue that seems to be holding what's left of traditional country music together. Love that old Ray Price sound. It has never been eclipsed in half a century. It never will be. Thank you Eddie Stubbs for keeping these old classics in the forefront.
PRR