The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Presonus Firebox
Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 3:00 am    

I see that some of you use this interface. I am thinking of this for more portability. I am curious about the "on screen" mixer or controls. Is this something that needs to be used? or can I just use my recording software and totally disregard the "on screen" controls?
Thanks

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 7:17 pm    

The firebox has a couple of screens to deal with. One is if you want to raise the input volumr by a few DB. I generally ignore that one.

The other screen is a mixer panel directing the signal distribution and volume controls for mike(s), line in and midi in. That panel you may need to get at once in a while.

Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 7:15 am    

Thanks Ken. I just read of a user that was going to sell his because it does not support Windows Vista. I guess they plan on it in the future but not right now. So if I get one, I would not be wanting to go to Vista right away.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 12:21 am    

'Support' likely means they just haven't TESTED it with Vista.

It could work unless MS changed something
in the audio/midi handling software.
Which of course is not unheard of at the evil empire inc.

Best course is have one hard disk with the older Windoze
and a new one for Vista, if it works great, if not,
use the older system.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 2:42 am    

There are a lot of new drivers required for Vista and some older hardware and software does not work either.

You can call it "planned obsolesence" but bascially until Windows XP, Microsoft made their operating systems "backward compatible". Starting with XP they are getting away from that and only (mostly) supporting the newer technologies.

But, many of the new Vista requirements were known by vendors for years (during the beta testing) but sat on their butts and didn't do anything and now are playing "catch up" with their hardware and software. Many vendors are also into the "planned obsolesence" mode so you have to buy new equipment from them.

Joe Harwell

"I've never been bad." ........ Many, LA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 11:39 am     Vista and all multimedia

The way Vista seems to be handling all multimedia formats is a nightmare. Apparently, the want to play piracy cops. Which is good in theory, but but complex and conflicting in implementation. There's lots of info on the web concerning this issue. It seems that simplely burning a CD or a DVD can be a challenge.

From my front porch, I would stick with XP for my primary machine. If possible, set up a Vista machine and experiment.

I'm more concerned with getting into the 64 bit XP swing of things but find you must look closely at the drivers there, too. But, at least, you can in many instances run a 32 bit driver. Then you've created a bottle neck and defeated your original purpose.

But I feel XP 64 bit driver availability will ramp up. Especially with the Vista nightmare.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".