The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording and Playback Dedicated Software?
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2007 6:50 pm    

Here is another weird one. I recorderd my cassettes tapes in files with Polderbits, when done they play back is fine.

Later I clik on a song and windows media player pops up, looking good shows the name of the tune, etc. I hit play if I have to, and nothing.

These are the tapes from the wax transcription I made in 1950.
I hit properties and see if it is the listed player and it is.
I checked my volumes etc, everything ok there.

A lot of problems caused on computers and software problesm are not in the manuals, if there is even one.

Any Ideas on a good reliable player that does all the things WMP does and then some. I do not want a program like Music Match, their main object is for a customer to buy and download commercial songs. WMP is getting that way too.

I would like to tap into forum Members experiences with various Total Dedicated Recording and Playback software to tell me which ones they fourd most satisfactory.Thanks.....al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Will Holtz

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2007 7:50 pm    

I like the free Media Player Classic. You can download it here.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2007 8:47 pm    

Will-I tried it but it wont download, just lots of advs. I unblocked it too so they could access....Thanks anyway...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Will Holtz

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2007 2:07 am    

Hrrm. I guess I didn't post the best link. If you want to try again, this one should be better.

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2007 12:25 pm    

This post will cover two things, Software and interface. I think you would be a lot happier and computer life would be much easier if you had dedicated software and hardware. Personally I use Nuendo as my recording/playback software. You should have a didicated audio interface and for my home setup I chose the Focusrite Saffire because it has the most bang for the buck in terms of output and monitoring capabilities plus on-board processing power. The good news is Saffire comes with a free Cubase LE software program that is well capable of handling most any task you could ever ask of it out of a home type setup. I think the Saffire unit is around $400.00 dollars and considering the quality software included, that makes a pretty good deal.

It's not that hard to learn and I would be glad to help you thru phone or email.

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2007 1:57 pm     Polderbits

Hi Al
I have had Polderbits & liked it very well. I still have the recorder & Polderbits editor.
I am wondering if maybe the problem might be how you are saving the recorded, finished, songs Confused
Do you save them as Wave files ,MP3s or ?
I dont use my Polder these days, as I went to a Fostex hard drive recorder, 16 tracks & love it Very Happy
Just to see, I pulled up my Polder recorder & Editor & it still works great after not using it for years.
BTW, I saved all my Polder recordings as Wave files.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2007 3:44 am    

I think I am having the same or very similar problems as Al. it appears we both run PCs (mine is Dell). we both have Music Jukebox with the Windows bundle.
it is true MJ wants you to download the typical music crap offerings. it also allows for playback of our own recordings.
one problem I have is locating the song I recorded. it appears in MJ and the file is locatable.
with both found anf clicked I get a several second playback of my recorded bit (which happened to be several minutes long).
I am not sure what is going on.
I am using an audio interface (Lexicon Lambda) and it comes with Cubase.
I have the option of saving with the usual..MP3 WAV etc.
last night I recorded a bit. hit save as MP3. the song appeared in Music Jukebox. instead of running 3.05 minutes as recorded I got 4 seconds playback.
that is a problem.
I would like to dump this Windows Music Jukebox pest.