The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DVD Recorder with hard drive?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2007 10:35 am    

I'm looking for a home unit to copy my existing VHS tapes to, and eventually replace my VCR. I want the hard drive for recording before I decide if I want to burn them to DVD, and also so I can edit the tapes before burning them to the DVR. I already have a SVHS VCR, so that isn't a requirement for the DVR unit, but could be an option.

So far I'm leaning toward the Pioneer DVR-640HS, Toshiba RD-XS35, or Panasonic DMR-EH75VS.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2007 10:05 am    

Jim, we have one at church with a pretty big hard drive. I will check Sunday and give you the info sometime Sunday or Monday
James

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2007 12:54 pm    

I have the Toshiba. The quality is very good, and it holds a lot of video time. It does a very good job of recording analog or digital video to it's hard disk, and burning DVD's.

It's editing capabilities are quite limited, as well as being taxing and tedious. If all you need to do is make one or two cuts, it's not too bad, but if you need more comprehensive editing capabilities, a computer will do a better job. Of course, computer video editing is also tedious and time consuming, as well as being disk and processor intensive, so for basic recording and burning, the Toshiba is far easier.

It won't give you a disk that you can use for data that you can read on a computer, only a formatted DVD that will play in a standard DVD player (or a computer with software that plays commercial DVD's.