The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  STUDIO CHARTS AND ENGINEERING
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 11:28 am    

One good use for chord or number system charts in the studio is on the board side of the glass- for those of us who play as well as engineer, it's extremely handy to have a chart on the console to refer to, and make notes on, for session flow. That way, we can ask the Bass player if he meant the note to pop out on the V chord right before the bridge, or the guitarist can ask us to let him punch the 2minor lick in the second chorus, and we can quickly access the section without much interruption of session flow.
I've found that the faster and smoother the communication is with the players, the happier they are and the better results we get. It's sometimes hard to keep the whole tune and all of the attendant parts in mind when paying attention to all of the details of engineering a session. Using a Number chart as a flow diagram is a big help to me, and I always notice better session flow when I'm playing on a session with another engineer who has a chart.
Anybody else use 'em this way?

I'll agree with suggestions in the recent studio charts thread that Chas Williams' Nashville Number Systems book is a great resource for those not fully conversant with the various ways charts are and can be made. Very helpful.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 2:18 pm    

I'm right there with ya Mark, plus a lyric sheet is pretty much a must have, too...Smile

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2007 12:05 pm    

John,Right on!I'm in the middle of a project right now,and the songwriter/singer keeps forgetting his lyric sheets...it makes me have to think too much!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2007 1:42 pm    

Mark and John,

Yep, when I was engineering only for awhile, a chart and lyric sheet were my maps (still are). I'd usually write locate numbers at the start of each line (assuming the chart and lyrics were blocked and easy to read). Something a songwriter friend of mine started doing with lyric sheets was to number them sequentially and when working with singers, just refer to line whatever. Because you usually have the same line in all chorus (or other sections), it made it easy to communicate which line in which part of the song (I'd still write locate numbers at either the start or end of each line).

Something that a lot of engineers I work with these days do is take too much time before going to a specific spot for something like a simple punch-in/out. They don't use charts or lyric sheets and have to hunt and peck for the right spot (or they start rolling w-a-y before a punch). I had a big name engineer in Nashville (with an assistant) take way too much time between punches but it was obvious he was milking the clock for billing purposes. Still very frustrating having to wait and I did say something several times (I was the only musician all day and into the night as I was hired to replace all the steel and keyboard parts on this project). Kinda ruins the moment and creative flow when having to wait like that...ggggrrrrrrrrr.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2007 12:38 pm    

Miguel,A few years ago I was in Nome Alaska to play for the Iditarod Dog Race ,and I was hired to play steel on a some recordings by a guy who would only rewind to the top of the song when I wanted to punch in a part,That's right the top of the song everytime!Yeah! it really ruines your train of thought when they roll back too far,or not paying attention,or clip off a part that didn't need to be punched..so you wind up recording everything again..it raises my blood pressure...Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 12:02 am    

I want a chord chart in some form
and a lyric sheet in one doc,
with room for time code notes etc.
Makes punches and playbacks MUCH faster and less confusing.

It also helps you, as engineer / tape operator,
to learn the song scructure in seconds instead of gradually.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 2:44 am    

I didn't know that people recorded "Seriously" WITHOUT them !

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 10:07 am    

What we're talking about here, (being on top of a working location to punch in, make production suggestions, and just generally keep in touch with the recording talent) is I think fundamental to proper session flow. Trying to understand the talent's mindset and make life easier for them is common courtesy, good business practice, and makes life easier for engineer/ producer as well.

I've also seen engineers drop the ball on these communication aspects repeatedly in the studio (winding back to the head for each take!) and I really wonder what planet they're living on.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 11:47 pm    

Ahh, the joys of Tape.
It could drive you crazy at times.
I have to say that since Pro Tools came in, I've become very lazy, because I can look at the screen and see exactly where the punch-in point is, and automate the faders both in real time and in post-prod.
So Basil, I do make serious recordings with no notes at all- as long as I know the structure of the song reasonably well.
Cheers
Dave

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 2:22 am    

Quote:
as long as I know the structure of the song reasonably well.

That being the salient point.

If not, the notes go a long way to keeping it all clear.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 4:19 am    

Dave is the exception, and that only goes to prove the rule.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 11:06 am    

There's a Carl & Pearl Butler tune, from the '60's, don't remember the name at present, but you could always hear what seemed to be a punch-in point, 'cause the tune punched the he!! out of the speakers at that point, and the pitch changed ever so slightly...

It's a lot less hassle editing tracks on a CRT than spilling tape all over the floor...

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 7:30 pm    

Actually that sounds like a different take spliced onto a earlier take.

Best A B A B section, but the solo and A B B Tag
were better 7 takes later..
but louder and slightly pitchy in comparison.
But they did it anyway.