The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Yamaha MD8 8-Channel MiniDisc users out there ?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2007 8:01 pm    

A few months ago I bought a Yamaha MD8 8-Channel MiniDisc recorder. A great machine, but from time to time I get "disk write" errors, or "disk corruption" errors, which is very frustrating when you've invested a lot of time in a piece and have to start again. Does anyone else have these problems ? I'm wondering if the problem is the brand of Data Minidisks I'm using. Some machines like particular brands. I'm using TDK which is just about all that's available nowadays.

I haven't actually lost anything, because those tracks that had errors I transferred to a hard disk recorder, but that defeats the object.

The Data MiniDisks were originally designed to be used for Computer Back-up. Since computer users stopped using them the price shot up from $4 to $15 each. I imagine there are a lot of computer users who are throwing out the MiniDisks without realizing their value. If anyone knows of a company doing that, please let me know.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2007 9:29 pm    

Alan, I have a tascam 8 track digital. when I first used it,I lost everything because I didn't shut it down right. just a thought.
I have a friend that owns a music store here.He is up on all this stuff. I'll ask him and see what he says. I can't believe its the disc's.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2007 7:11 pm    

Hey Brummy, I talked to my friend @ the music store, he really
wasn't sure but said to check your manual for trouble shooting error problems. I'm sure youv'e already done that.

Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2007 3:47 am    

Alan, I had an MD8 for quite a long time. Disk error can be from a couple of problems.The first thing you should do is remove the disk and carefully clean it.Use a damp cloth on the metal, and try to blow out the disk itself.The other problem could be the drive bay itself. Dust is the worst enemy of these units.Try cleaning the components with one of those air blasters that people use for computer keyboards etc. The last project I did with mine, I kept getting disc errors and spikes, and eventually had to toss the project and start over on my puter using Sonar. Very discouraging to say the least. These are great units with a very user friendly system. All the best.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2007 9:16 am    

Thanks folks. I've cleaned out the disk chamber with a small vacuum cleaner, and I bought some MD Disk Cleaner Disks, and I haven't had any trouble since then.

In the meantime I transferred the recordings I have to a TEAC 24-channel hard-disk recorder, so that I have a backup.