The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audio Restoration
Wade Romonosky

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 8:39 am    

Im looking for a good program to convert my record collection to cd and also clean them up without alot of loss to the original material.

Wade

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 9:39 am    

Wade, I bought a ION turntable with a USB connection it comes with all the software, does the job just fine. Hope this is of some help.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2007 6:20 pm    

I've used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for the last couple of years. I've converted 30 or 40 of my collection of a couple of hundred albums. It does a pretty good job removing the pops and clicks.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2007 6:31 pm    

I'll second the Magix Cleaning software. I've used it for 5 or 6 years now and it works pretty good. Duane Becker

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2007 3:00 am    

I've used GoldWave to clean up recordings. It may not be as good as some of the "fancy" clean up programs but does a very acceptable job. I cleaned up a very noisy LP and the finished product amazed me, as it came out with very little noise left and no deterioration of the fidelity.

Two weeks ago I digitized (went to CD) with another very used "Test Pressing" LP. It too "cleaned up good". There was only one major pop that goldwave did not get rid of and I was able to edit it out manually with goldwave.

If you have a "standard" turntable, it cannot be connected directly to the PC's "line in" for recording. It's signal level is too low and it needs an RIAA Preamplifer to restore the fidelity. You will need to either run it through a stereo system that has a "phono" input or use a separate RIAA preamp (last time I checked Radio Shack sold one of these).

If you don't have a "recording" program on your PC, do a google search for "Audacity" it is a free and good recording program.

As noted use the "line in" on your PC for recording as it is a stereo input. The mic input, although uses a stereo plug, is only mono (the ring connection has 5VDC on it for "computer mic's" (they are condenser type).

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2007 1:39 pm    

Jack, the tidbit you typed about the line input on the computer being mono is not exactly true. I have personally dumped audio files (stereo tracks) onto my computer via RCA-1/8" connection. These were audio files with a click track recorded on the Left channel and music on the right channel. My computer gives me a choice when I plug into that jack to choose what sort of input I need, either microphone, line input, etc. I guess that's just how Dell got by with only putting 2 plugs on the side of this laptop, one for stereo output, one universal input...

MG

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2007 3:11 pm    

Michael, re-read my post. I said the Line in is "stereo" and the mic is "mono".

On some laptops what you stated is the case, but in Desktops it's what I stated. On many Dell's laptops the mic input is mono only and can't be used as a stereo "line in".

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 25 Feb 2007 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2007 3:12 pm    

Yeah, I re-read it. I was just pointing out that on my laptop there's only 2 plugs. One for headphones and one generic input. I've got no clue about my desktop, it's been down for too long now.

MG