The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Noise On my Recordings. Static? RF?
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2007 7:48 am    

My recording rig (Roland VS-1880) is very close to my computer and monitor, due to lack of space in my attic studio.

I am vexed by noise (sounds like Rice Crispies) which appears on every recording I make. Is my assumption correct that this noise is due to the proximity of these electronic gadgets? If so, is there some sort of filter which will eliminate or reduce it?

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2007 10:32 am    

I don't think that's the problem but it would be easy to find out. Move your machine somewhere else and record a few seconds. If it has noise, then you're right.

To me, it sounds like a digital timing problem. Either that, or you have a noisy device that you're trying to record. Last possibility, your recorder is damaged.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2007 2:49 pm    

PC's and CRT monitors can emit "RFI" (radio frequency interference). That is why "computer speakers" have special internal shielding. e.g. if you put a non-computer speaker close to the monitor or PC you can get interference.

Along with possible RFI into the recorder, make sure all the cables you use are good quality "shielded" cables. A bad cable (e.g. broken ground) could cause the problems. Cheap "plastic molded" guitar cables are another source of problems.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2007 4:20 pm    

I agree with Jack about checking the cables. The sizzling noise you describe can be caused by a bad cable, a flakey jack on the recorder,or some other poor connection in the audio path. RFI would more likely be a constant buzz, and digital clocking errors would not be likely to occur if your recorder is not synced to some other digital device. Clocking errors usually sound like random clicks and pops, often accompanied by stuttering audio.

Try rearranging some cables, to see if the noise changes, or moves from right to left.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 2:55 am    

try turning the PC monitor off..

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 12:19 pm    

Are you using a Pod?If I don't set my Pod Pro to the same numbers(48,44.1 etc.)as my session,I get the same noise you are describing...

Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 12:32 pm    

Thanks to everyone for their input. Yes Steve, I am using a PodXT. Will try all these fixes tonight and report back.

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2007 9:38 pm    

I had a problem with noise. It was only on stuff I was trying to record. Any files I imported were clean and no noise problems. The problem in the record mode turned out to be Norton Go Back which was trying to update files as I recorded. As soon as I turned Go Back off, the noise quit.

Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2007 12:31 pm    

Well, after trying all the suggestions here and then some, I was still getting the snap,crackle and pop. It turned out that I had a noisy soundcard...a simple upgrade to audigy cleaned things up substantially. Thanks again for the help, you guys rock.