The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ranch Party TV Shows----50's
Mike Dexter

Derbyshire, England
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2007 3:23 pm    

Does anybody know who the Steel player was in the resident House Band on the Ranch Party TV Shows of the 1950's? Did the Band make recordings? If so are they obtainable?

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2007 11:41 pm    

Marian Hall was the steel player. They were basically a Town Hall Party crew and did many sessions together backing many different artists in Hollywood. There is an old Columbia LP which pretty much is the Ranch Party Gang, can't remember the exact name of it right now, Town Hall Party-something, Bear Family has reissued it on cd. Marian is also on steel on Joe Maphis' Flying Fingers LP, also reissued by BF.

Steve Pacholl

Minneapolis
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 7:31 am    

The name of the Columbia LP is Town Hall Party and it was recently reissued on Bear Family. I had never seen this LP before until recently when I found a copy that was from the estate of Texas Bill Strength. Bill wrote his name on the back of the LP cover. It's a fun LP with an interesting cover.

I ended up buying a large stack of LPs that were from Bill's estate. Most of the LPs were from artists who had played the Flame Cafe in Mpls. A lot of nice LPs were added to my collection when I stumbled onto this find.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 8:45 am    

Steve,
What was Texas Bill Strength's wife's name and is she still alive?
I remember them performing with Slim Jim and the KSTP Barn Dance gang.
My cousin wrote Texas Bill a letter and got a nice response plus an autographed 8 X 10 glossy.
Do you remember Billy Folger?

Steve Pacholl

Minneapolis
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 9:00 am    

Erv
I don't know if Bill's wife is still alive. A couple years ago the HOF's Journal of Country Music did a nice feature article on Texas Bill and his son was quoted quite a bit. (Issue with Billy Joe Shaver on the cover). If I remember the article correctly, I believe his son still lives in the Twin Cities.

I've heard of Billy Folger, but those guys are all before my time. I missed out on the Flame Cafe days.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 9:33 am    

Steve,
I have an old KSTP Valley Barn Dance song book where some of the songs are written in Norwegian. Slim Jim had a brother who sang with him and he went by the name of the "Vagabond Kid". The girl singer was Lou Skarning (sp). I think Texas Bill's wife went by the name of Princess something.
Erv

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 6:08 am    

Was her stage name "Princess Inez" ?

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 6:08 am    

Was her stage name "Princess Inez" ?

Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 6:01 pm     Ranch party TV show

Man, you're going back. I think Inez was married to texas Bill. I see her about every year, I'll have to ask her. And the Flam....... That was the place. Two bands working the front room and Terry bethel on steel Leon (I can't remember his last name) on fiddle. Big stake for $2.50. Nashville stars, the whole works and no cover charge. How about Cactus Slim Erv.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 7:04 pm    

Ed, that was Leon Boulanger on fiddle. The band at the Flame Cafe broke up in June of 1969. Terry Bethel went with Mel Tillis and Leon later played fiddlle for Ernest Tubb.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 7:01 am    

Princess Inez doesn't sound quite right.
There was a good lead gutiar player on the show also.
I think his name was Andy Walsh.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2013 6:36 am    

Texas Bill Strength’s sons Bob and Dale played drums and guitar respectively in the South Minneapolis/Richfield rock band Pepper Fog in the late ‘60s - early ‘70s. Dale would also play a few tunes on his single-neck blonde Sho-Bud. Dale worked with Olivia Newton-John for a time, and is still semi-active in the Twin Cities music scene.

Sorry to have gone off topic here, but it had strayed a bit already.

Love Marion Hall's steel playing on a Ranch Party DVD that I have, along with the Collins Kids, Joe Maphis, and the gang.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2013 10:53 am     Flame Cafe Memories!

I played the Flame Cafe in late 61 after returning from
the west coast, Jimmy Colvard got me the gig, Jimmy & Terry Bethel were playing the main room with Leon Boulanger & I was playing the front bar with Sherwin Linton, I also worked several gigs with Texas Bill Strength, Hal Rugg along with Jimmy Colvard played the Flame for Dave Dudley 59-60-61, Great Old Memories! au

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 7:13 am    

Al, you should write a book about the Twin Cities music scene and your experiences. Your reminisces are fascinating to all of us here in the frozen tundra.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 1:52 pm    

I'll second Al's writing his history down before it's lost to time, as way too much already has.
Everybody has a story, especially 'the greatest generation' and it'll never be repeated.

Prior to THP's television day's they spent a few on radio, the steel player for that era was another lady, her name was Beryl Harrel. She has finally been getting some recognition after decades of being virtually forgotten, but there's little to document her life and even less during her tenure in Compton, so Marian's talents and greater exposure easily eclipsed that of Beryl, but she deserves every mention.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2013 2:26 pm    

Jack: Cal Hand has been after me for years to do a Bio on myself, I have had some unbelievable small
world connections, But I have held off because some
might sound like "Oh Really" I am however going to
get together with Cal and cover what I remember,It's a lot & I'll probably have to weed out some of the too hard to believe stories! au

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2013 11:55 am     Al Udeen's biography

Al, how are you and Cal doing on that book?

Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2013 8:14 pm    

I was never able to go to the Flames Cafe, either too young, or living in another part of the country.

As for Princess Inez, from what I know of her, she was married to a guitar player named Jerry Green. She played keyboards on our first steel guitar show in Minneapolis. I believe that she is Native American, but not sure about that. I have had the pleasure of playing in jam sessions with her and Jerry, but have not seen her for a couple of years.

Hope this clarifies some information about her.

Al Udeen probably knows more about her.

Dennis

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 2:16 pm    

Princess Inez was not married to Bill Strength, I'm sure that she started out as a steel player, A friend of
mine bought a single neck Emmons in the early 70s
that had been owned by her, Several yrs ago, I played
a gig or benefit with her playing keyboard, Jack! one
of these days I'll get together with Cal.