The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Studio Temperature
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2007 2:21 pm    

When i know i'm not going to be in my studio for awhile, i close the heat duct about 3/4 of the way, and close the studio door. Here in michigan it gets down to the single digits at night. Any harm in doing this? my heat bill is sky high, and any savings help. I was just kinda wondering about my ribbon mics, and LCD meters, and flat panel computer screens, things like that. It's not as cold as you car gets sitting out all night. But it's pretty nippy in there. I'm single and live alone so i keep my heat down to 74 all winter anyway. is this ok to do in my studio?

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 7:29 am    

Hey George, I wouldn't let it get much lower than 58 to 60 degrees in there. I don't have any reason for that number it just seems like it would be a good number to keep it at. My studio probably stays around 60 to 65 degrees when I'm not working in it and when I am it might go up to 70 to 75 closer to 72.

I'm usually the only one in there and I'm petty hot blooded and if I get chilly I crank it up a bit or put on my sweater. But I would think you equipment would be safe at 58 to 60. Maybe some others will have a more scientific answer Smile

Bob

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 8:53 am    

George--my clients lovingly call my control room "the meat locker" cause I keep it at about 66 degrees. Cool, but it keeps you alert, and is very effective at keeping clients down the hall in the lounge so I can get some work done...Smile.

I think if you keep it too cool, though, you may get condensation in the gear as it warms up, though the actually lowest temp is a mystery to me...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 11:22 am     Re: Studio Temperature

George Redmon wrote:
I'm single and live alone so i keep my heat down to 74 all winter anyway. is this ok to do in my studio?

74 is pretty warm. My thermostat is set to 65 (heat) in the winter, 80 (a/c) in the summer. I have to move the marimba resonators to the lower slot in the winter for it to sound in tune. It doesn't seem to affect guitars at all.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2007 12:38 pm    

I use a programmable in the house--68 from 6AM to 8:30AM, 65 from 8:30 A to 6PM, 68 from 6PM to 10PM and 62 from 10P to 6AM...works great Smile