The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  type of lighting
John Walls

Effingham, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 6:13 pm    

I am turning part of my garage into a recording studio, what type of lighting should i use? I was told that flourescent lights may cause a hum in equipment. all input appreciated.
many thanks, John.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 8:38 am    

John,
Do yourself a favor, and run seperate wiring to a seperate breaker for your garage area , and make sure you have a good ground....Do NOT use flourescent lights, and no dimmer switches ....Jim

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 10:55 am    

You might want to keep in mind the "vibe" that you want to create. In my main tracking room, I have four different kinds of lighting, bright overhead, wall sconces, dimmable indirects, and small table lamps. Depending on the kind of music, and the kind of people Cool the lighting is adjustable for mood, ability to read charts, perceived warmth, etc. It is possible to find dimmers that don't add line noise, and frankly, if you tried a dimmer that did, easy to just replace the switch.

In my control room I've settled for a couple of hanging low voltage lights over the console area, with some indirect lighting for racks.

Iso booth has indirect overheads, and a small table lamp.

It's amazing how much difference small lighting changes can make in the success of a session.
Doesn't hurt to have several (subtle) flavors of incense on hand either.

John Walls

Effingham, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 6:53 pm    

Thanks James & Mark.
I will do as such, It's great to hear from guys thats been there.
thanks again John.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 7:49 pm    

We use incandescent track lighting in all of our rooms. And don't forget the Lava lamps. LOL

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.