The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  adding overdubs to commercial jobs?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 6:39 pm    

Following Tommy Dodd's example, I'm hoping to be able to receive a client's tracks via email, open in some audio app, add my steel parts, send the track back, collect a handsome fee, then unwind with an adult beverage.

But I know next to zero about how to really do this.

What kind of files would I generally receive? How do I record my overdubbed steel parts? And I'd love the answer to that ranked in: cheap but effective ways; better mid-range way; ultimate way (I know there are very expensive recording/editing apps available, I just want to do a credible job at first, then upgrade to better gear as, or if, need be).

So ideas about recording apps, preamps, input boxes, USB, all that, would be highly appreciated.

Again, techies, focus is on simplest way to achieve this and still do a good job that's commercially viable.

Oh, and I'm using a MacBook, or MacMini, both Intel machines.

Thanks, brethren.

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Carter SD-10/Webb amp/Profex II+Lexicon MPX-110 OR Line 6 Pod XT

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2006 7:41 pm    

I like to use cabs with my Revelation Pre, M2000, and MosValve amp. Shure 57's work good as a cheaper mic. I looked at a lot of pre's for getting into the computer via firewire, and I choose the Focusrite Safire because of it's on-board processing, reverb to foldback monitors, and output features...pretty reasonable bang for the buck, about $400.00. I record with Nuendo on a PC with great results.

I normally recieve stuff in MP3 format thru email if the client does not have an FTP site for storage and uploading. If the client does not have an FTP site, I will snail mail them a data CD of a 24 bit, 44.1 file since the file size is too large to email and MP3 is not considered final quality files...it's OK to work with the track in MP3 but your file of your steel needs to be higher quality to drop back in their system for mixing. The type of file that you output might change according to what project properties the client is using, just make sure you ask before you get started. Most Apps will convert imported files to the project properties, but it's always good to record at high values if your system will run it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Robby

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2006 12:00 am    

Robbie, thanks very much for your knowledgable input; I understand about half of that, but get the gist, and the recommendation for the hardware/software piece. I'm likely to have more questions later.

A student of mine who produces recommends the Audio M-Box with ProTools LE, guess that's from Digidesign. Any opinion on that setup? He says it cures the latency problem, which I'm just learning about now.

Sigh...this is why I've resisted the digital recording world all these years: tons more info to try to understand!

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2006 4:31 am    

The Digi/protools set up will work for you,
the M Box is OK,
But I believe the Focusrite is better.
Both should work with Protools LE.

I would certainly go for a better mic than the SM-58.
And make
sure you have monitors
and a sub woofer of decent quality.

It will allow you to import your file,
and export an EQ'd track with your sound for your client.

Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 9:44 am    

I can vote for Focusrite, I use the Saffire, sounds just wonderful.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 4:53 pm    

There's a lot of companies that sell all in one boxes pretty cheap say for instance Tascam sells a 24 track 24 bit machine that goes for 699.00 on eBay new in the box.

For a beginner that might not be a bad way to go. I know nothing about the Tascam unit I just used it as an example but you wouldn't have as much money invested and it would be easier to sell if you decided that recording wasn't for you. Also the learning curve might be a little easier notice I said might.

There are many different companies that sell these all in one machines such as Yamaha, Roland, Tascam, Zoom, to many to list but before you jump in I'd at least look at some of them.

Just make sure that the one you buy can hook up to your computer for getting these files into your machine so you can record along with them. Also make sure you get one with a CD burner for the very same reason as well as backup and editing purposes.

Bob

Robby Springfield

Viola, AR, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2006 9:08 pm    

John, It's been a while since I looked at the M-box but I know I have not experienced any latency issues with the Safire. It has it's own 24 bit sound card and processing so it doesn't tax your system.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2006 9:10 pm    

Robby, on a Mac I assume I wouldn't need a sound card, sound is always built in. Am I missing something?

Can I do this adequately using Garageband? Or at all?

------------------
E9 lessons

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2006 12:50 am    

Garageband is a fabulous programme for assembling loops of sampled music into surprisingly effective compositions very quickly.
A well-known TV composer of my acquaintance has been known to throw together a draft of a theme tune on Garageband while actually on the phone to the comissioning editor! (he does have a vast and very well organised sample library)
I don't think that a beginner would have much success using Garageband to add overdubs to commercial recordings- you could, but it's not really what it's made to do.
Do play with it for making your own backing tracks though- especially if you are looking for something different to play along with- A conga beat with an 80's disco bassline and Stax horns for example. A bit of Steel over that and you could have a whole new genre of music! You'd stuggle with classic country though.
Cheers
Dave
p.s. Having used them all, and taught dozens of students how to use Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc. etc., ProTools M powered is my personal choice at home, using an M Audio interface.

[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 15 November 2006 at 12:51 AM.]

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 7:34 am    

At the end of the process, you might consider a reliable FTP site with which to communicate with your client. I like using YouSendIt. http://www.yousendit.com/

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2006 6:38 am    

Thanks for the continuing education, everyone!

New sub-question: they make these cords hooking up a guiutar to the USB inputs. Is that sufficient to get pristing sound, or is the M-Box, Line 6's TonePort, and others preferred, and for what reasons?

Is there a website where digital recording 101 is thoroughly covered? I'm sorry I'm so full of newbie questions in this area, and grateful to you all for your time, input and expertise.

Your pal,
John

------------------
E9 lessons

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2006 7:50 pm    

Anyone? (My question just above here...)

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2006 8:10 pm    

I do a lot of recording. Don't laugh--I still use my ADATs. I am not keen on spending more money for recording stuff. It can be a bottomless pit.

I just have folks send me an MP3 file of the song. Track only, vocal on one side-guitar/keys on the other--just whatever they have. I burn a copy of the MP3 file and take it down to the basement studio and stripe it on a couple of tracks of ADAT. Put some clicks outside the start of the tune. Record as many tracks as they want and burn a CD with each individual track on it. Then I take this CD back up to the computer and convert all the tracks into MP3 and send them back. The client takes the track and uses the four clicks outside the track to line up everything. Whatever I make, I stick in my pocket as those old ADATs have paid for themselves many times.

Someday I will break down and get a Protools set up. Not soon though.

David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2006 11:03 am    

Be aware I bought a Delta 66 from M-Audio and put it in my new computer it didn't work so I call M-Audio and found out that
It will not work with any Media center PC's
Good Luck!